1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Mercury Recoil Reducers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapdoctor, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapdoctor

trapdoctor TS Member

I have a light 20ga over and under that kicks my grandson pretty hard. Just wondering if adding two mercury reducers would reduce the recoil more than one.

Thanks in advance
    jim

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Yes, provided you can get both of them in or on the gun.

Easystreet

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two mercury reducers would reduce the recoil twice as much as one. The real question is would an equivalent amount of dead weight reduce the felt recoil as much as the mercury reducers. I do not know the answer to that question.

Pat Ireland

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

Adding two recoil reducers or even one for that matter is really going to make that gun barrel light. If the gun is a decent fit for him and has a good recoil pad, load up some 3/4 ounce loads and he'll be a happy camper. These loads work really well and much less recoil than a normal 7/8 ounce load.He'll break just as many if not more targets with the lighter load.

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I agree completely with Pat on this. I use 2 mercury recoil reducers on my Beretta 391, but I do not know if they are any more effective at reducing recoil than an equal amount of dead weight.

hubcap

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've always been a firm believer in shooting the heaviest gun you can handle for the game shot. Weight is weight, however, the way it reacts to movement to utilize all that weight is also important. Fixed dead weight acts quicker to dampen felt recoil than any spring or liquid having the center of gravity of the "thing" move forward on firing. While all that movement is taking place, the stock is moving toward the shoulder at a more rapid pace, no? Best of both worlds is reducing stock speed, load speed and weight of charge. The only way to know for sure is try it yourself. Hap

PS, over the years I've bought all the latest in recoil reducers, both spring weighted and mercury. The absolute best I've found so far is copper tubing filled with melted wheel weights installed in line with my barrel center. These cost a lot less money and achieve more in reducing felt recoil for me.

7. Satch

Satch TS Member

Try Rem Managed Recoil 20 ga. shells. 1100 fps, 7/8oz of 8.5's. All you need for skeet or 16's. Gamaliel has them for $6.50, I think.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You are paying for nothing more than mass weight, as Pat Ireland stated.

Simply use lead shot in the butt-stock. I've done that for over 30 years in my Perazzis and have yet to see a negative effect, other that lowering felt recoil because of added weight (mass).

I did a review here a couple of years ago on recoil reducers and actual cut-a-ways of all of them to prove their worthlessness except for nothing more than weight.

It is simplest of equations: F=ma (Force = mass x acceleration). Increase the mass and lower the acceleration, and Force remains constant. Keeping acceleration constant, but increasing mass will then, in effect lower the "felt" Force of recoil.

IMHO

Whiz

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of Whiz's recoil reducers taken apart to see the working mechanisms. Thanks for the pic Whiz!

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here's one of my copper tubing filled with melted wheel weights. Weighs 4.xx ounces per inch. These work very well guys!

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hope this one works. Hap

10. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Jim,

I can help you with a reducer. I make several solid weights in a variety of lengths and weights. I powdercoat them for durability, and I drill and tap the end for easy removal. I can make a length and weight you desire. Please contact me. Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises (270)804-5454

11. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can use any of the reducers mentioned and shown. I would first start with making sure the pitch is correct on the stock. Then check the cast and then LOP. It is probably kicking him because the stock doesn't fit. I never realized this till I had a left hand stock that fit me. I had tried everything trying to make right hand stocks fit. never worked. Hope this helps, Roy

12. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I did a recoil calculation on the Hodgdon calculator (I guess at the wad weight at 30 grains, but kept it constant. I figured a light 20 ga. gun at 6.5 pounds.)

Going from 7/8 oz loads at 1200 fps to 3/4 oz loads at 1200 fps reduced the recoil in a 6.5 lb. gun by 22.5%.

Adding a pound of weight to the 7/8 oz loads only reduced the recoil by 13%.

Danny

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Danny, I haven't checked your math but it looks like you are calculating recoil energy. It's less if you use momentum and that's probably a better estimator from the shooter's point of view.

The gun may weigh what you say, but the hands and arms add a lot. (It's measurable as well.) It's why adding weight doesn't do as much as the calculation indicates.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mercury recoil reducer