1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question about Longshot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

This time of year in Ga is crow season and I try and do that every day I can. Before I realized I did not have to shoot at 1400 or higher I purchased 8lbs of Longshot. Well I found out that actually your patterns are more consistent at much slower fps. So my question is can I lower the grains in the shells down from say 30 gr in 1 1/8 # 8 shot to say 20 grains and still have an effective load. I do not have to shoot hot loads. I have no idea what the fps would be but it would be a lot less than 1400 and still kill them. Is that safe opinions please?

2. Trap4

Trap4 Member

In the Hodgon reloading manual the smallest amount of powder of Longshot they list for 1 1/8 of shot is 29.4 gr at 1420fps. I personally would not go below that amount. Why not give Universal a try or 7625 which I think would do very good. Just my opinion.

Trap-4

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

striper,

The problem with loading down Longshot is the lack of chamber pressure to get a sufficient burn of the powder load.

That being said, you can load down Longshot to about 28 grains in a tapered hull (Remington/Winchester) and 28.5 in a straight hull and get consistant loads with a 1 1/8 oz of shot. You can lighten the powder load a bit more if you use a heavier load (1 3/16 oz or more). This additional payload will create sufficient enough pressure for a consistant burn.

My pet 1 1/8 oz load for Longshot is:

Remington hull

28.5 grains of Longshot

Downrange Versalite or Remington Fig 8 wad. (I like both for this load) Stay away from the cheaper substitutes as they don't deal with the speed very well.

Winchester 209 primer. In the warmer months you can use a Remington 209 to soften the "bite" a little, but seems to be a little cool for sub 50 degree temps. Speed chronos nearly the same, at 1350fps, using both primers.

1 1/8 oz of your favorite shot.

This load crimps up very nice and is way down on the pressure curve.

I find it to be a very managable load to shoot and using 6's really drops them crows out at distance.

BTW this load is great for back-ups when game shooting.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.