1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about James Russell Books

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cmmonaco78, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Thinking of purchasing James Russell’s Trap Shooting Secrets. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this book? Has it helped you? Is it a good tool for developing my shooting? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Christopher Monaco

2. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I seem to remember that many of the TS.com authorities believe the book is a waste of time. However, if you decide not to take actual lessons, it does a fairly good job of at least presenting many trapshooting ideas and techniques that are sound. Explanations of a proper setup, and ideas on gun and eye hold positions are things all beginers should at least know about. I don't use, or agree with all the stuff in the "Secrets" book, but it does have some value, and may help you.

3. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

They are poorly organized.

Seems like the author just collected random information and made them into a book.

They do contain some useful information but are not worth buying new.

I have two of the books that I would sell cheap, if you want to add them to your library.

PM me if you are interested.

ed.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

From what I understand it will do a good job of teaching you bad habits.

Harlan Campbell, Phil Kiner or Leo Harrison all have videos that teach good habits and are easier to understand.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

They are pure crap, and that's being nice!!! Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Try to find someone who will loan them to you (if they're not too embarassed). Barring that try to find used. If that doesn't work out, you still haven't failed. I had them both. They seemed full of information, some useful some not. As stated above, they seemed disorganized. The first volume was better than the second, neither were great. Wouldn't pay new price for either. Good luck.

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Very entertaining to say the least. I especially think the chapter on saving money by riding to trapshoots with your friends, is very appropriate in today's economy. Oh, yeah, sharing hotel rooms too; but that may be in it's own chapter. Then there's the advise about canting your gun one way or the other for hard right or left targets, it gives a bit of "built in" lead, as I recall.

It's actually a two book set....be sure to get 'em both....best....mike

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I will act at a voice for the other side. I too have purchased and read them. All that was said is probably correct. I found that the value of the books is in raising of questions. As and example, if he talks about gun holds above the house and gives examples of 4 or 5 different holds systems, I asked myself what was my holds and are they the best for me or was I doing it because that's what I was taught. The book was not well organized but was full of information that one could use to increase one's awareness of the extensive issues discussed. Bruce

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Pay attention to Dan.(Trap2) He is being nice!

Ajax

10. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Thanks to all who responded. Maybe I will get one of the aforementioned DVD's instead of the book/books. Sometimes it is easier for me to absorb what I read as opposed to watching a DVD. That's why I was looking for a book on the subject. A book is also easier to reference when you need it.

Christopher Monaco

11. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Thanks to all who responded. Maybe I will get one of the aforementioned DVD's instead of the book/books. Sometimes it is easier for me to absorb what I read as opposed to watching a DVD. That's why I was looking for a book on the subject. A book is also easier to reference when you need it.

Christopher Monaco

12. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Christopher Monaco

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get the books. A lot of good informaton about trapshooting. Your shooting skills will improve after reading his books. HMB

14. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Maybe look him up on ATA.com and see if you can see what makes him an "authority" in the first place? I bought and read both his books early on and found them worthless. I have purchased as many books as seemed worthwhile since then and you are correct - a book is far better for reference - and also took some clinics and purchased a number of DVDs. Phil Kiner Clinic was the most help along with both his videos as follow-up. You would be fairly hard-pressed to attend a clinic that did not help you.

Doc

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My recollection is that the paper is too coarse to use as bathroom tissue. Other than that use, they have no value at all.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I duct taped about half the pages of the book to the comb of a low shooting 391, my scores from the 27 improved greatly.

17. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

He does have a lot of useful information in his books but there's also stuff in there that is misleading and outright wrong for your game. The problem is that you won't know the difference until you're experienced enough to know better.
    Suggest you go elsewhere.

Ned

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

He advertises a little book/pamphlet on writing off your shooting expenses against your taxes that is tax fraud -pure and simple. The worst his other crap can cost you is a few targets.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Better ways to learn the game. If you spend a year shooting each summer weekend and asking a lot of questions of the better shooters, you'll know more than Russell.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

...........also, If you can find all of the old Trap and Fields that once had columns written by Frank Little and Vic Rienders, read them and absorb them like a sponge and you will know all you will ever need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

james russell trap books