1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AF_Reloader, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AF_Reloader

AF_Reloader TS Member

Just a question about low-based/high-based shotshell hulls.

A couple of friends of mine know I reload 12 ga shells, so they saved all their hulls in a plastic tub and brought em over. I was sorting them out, and found several hulls I haven't used before (I generally just use Win AA low-base). Here are a few hulls I had questions about:

Federal Upland High-Base (silver base, pretty sure it's Gameshok Hi-Brass
    Winchester High-Base -- Closest match I could find is at http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=X124&bn=1&use=6

What I want to know is can I safely use high-brass hulls in low-brass formulas, i.e. will a formula for a polyformed low-brass Winchester Super-X work with a high-base hull? Thanks

FB

2. RGS Guy

RGS Guy TS Member

The FED's (fiocci, kent) are a straight wall hull, and will not give a good gas seal if you try to use the same wads. You need a federal wad. Also will need about an extra grain to 1-1/2 grains of powder. One note of caution. Many of the cheaper gun club type shells have a plastic base wad that can come loose, and lodge in the barrel.I stay away from those.
    The brass height does not come into play.
    Nick

3. setter

setter Member

To add to the above, it has more to do with the relative height of the basewad inside the hull than the brass. As well (and for me), if I can't find a load listed in the various loading data for a particular hull, then I don't go there. It's simply not worth it. Another consideration in using multiple hulls is that your loader usually has to be adjusted to achieve best results and my personal preference is to leave the loader alone once I have it tuned.

Regards,
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.