1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about How You Pay for things on trapshoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JM_KC, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

how do you guys pay for things that you buy off this site? I am in the process of buying something I found on a post here. It costs about $1000and the guy wants me to send certified funds to him. I suggested COD, but he said no. I just want to make sure I am going to get what I am paying for and sending someone I don't knownwhonis 2000 miles away a certified check for $1000 just seems like a bad idea. Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

It takes a little faith in shooters. Plenty of communication and clear understanding of refund policy.
    I have send certified funds and often personal checks and leave it up to the seller to ship after funds clear.

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Try researhing the seller with the search feature on this site. If he has been active you should be able to see his past posts and develope a feeling of trust/distrust from there. You could also ask on this forun if anyone has had dealings with ____. Good luck, Marc

4. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

I sold a guy to Jim Skeel couple weeks ago. He sent
    money order - I sent Gun. We both satisfield. U can
    be assured I will send U the barrel and chokes when I
    receive your certifield check.

Doyal Duncan

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

6. citadel

citadel Active Member

Post the sellers name and ask about others experience dealing with him. I have bougt many guns for many thousands and never had a bad experience. Good luck. Do your homework first.
    Doug

7. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

I once ordered a new MX10RS from Ray Stafford & mailed him a check. Almost before the stamp dried, the gun arrived. I called Ray and asked him why he would send a gun without getting paid first. His reply was, trapshooters are very honest people.....Now he has alot more respect from me than just his trapshooting ability. Someday I hope to catch up with him in person & shake his hand.
    jim bauer

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've always used money orders, but then the most expensive things I've bought here are barrels and stocks, well under $1000. Unless the seller is someone I've seen on here a lot and they have a good reputation, I'd be hesitant to send a lot of money. Have you done a search for the sellers' name to see if there has been praise or negative feedback? I'd be even more cautious if they weren't a regular poster.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Have the seller use a FFL dealer. You send money to the dealer. NO dealer will be party to a fraudulent deal.

It may cost you a sawbuck but it's a good insurance policy.

HM

10. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

For What its Worth, if you're dealing with Mr. Duncan I can say you won't have any problems. I've shot with him here in Texas. I'm sure you'll find many others who will say the same.

James Allen

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I don't believe anyone on TS.com want's to be labeled a rip off artist. FWIW About a month ago I bought $2800 worth of stuff from someone on here based on one phone call. The certified check was in the mail before the item was shipped. Three days later UPS delivered the item. You have to establish trust with each other.

Eric

12. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

I would say it is almost standard procedure to send certified funds before an item is shipped or seller waiting for personal check to clear. The exception for me would be if I've done business with this person before or have read of other successful transactions involving this person.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I had a guy that insisted that I send the gun to the FFL And he would have the FFL receive the money and the gun. That essentially gave him inspection refusal and if he did not like the gun when it came in, I would be responsible for the shipping back, providing of course that the FFL guy would do that. It was a bogus deal and I told him to go %$^& himself and leave me alone. But he persisted, and I out persisted the *&%$#

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I can not count on b oth hands and toes how many times I have sold and bought and shipped immediately before item was paid for and also recieved item before they got the money. Just make sure he is a regular. Looks to me like he has already had a poster vouch for him

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per most of the responses, usually no problem. I buy & sell things here on T.S. quite frequently & am yet to have a bad experience. On small things or 1st time sales I have even sent the item out before I received the payment. Ask around a little more. Ross Puls

16. pdq

pdq Member

I've sold 2 guns here, received a cashiers check & when it cleared, sent the gun. Happy seller and happy buyer.

Pete

17. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

James. Thanks.

Doyal Duncan

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I try to treat people the way I want to be treated in a transaction and will usually do what ever needs to be done to establish a trust between them and myself ... Do Not make any deals with a guy by the name of Mark Swanke from what I have been told ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've bought or tried to buy stuff that the seller(s): Required money order.
    Cashier's check
    Personal check
    Cash
    Paid the next time I saw them
    Pay Pal (I refused, bad experience with PayPal.)

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Post the name...if there is bad feedback you will find it..also if there are nothing but great endorsements..you'll get that too...I've never had a bad experience with any TS.com fellow trapshooters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.