1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about gun storage

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 911 Carrera, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 911 Carrera

911 Carrera TS Member

Hello all,

Fairly new to the trapshooting world and thoroughly enjoying it! I recently purchased a BT-99 and have a question about storage. If I am not going to shoot for a week or so should I dry fire the gun before putting it away so that there is no pressure on the spring? Is this harmful to the gun? Great forum here, have learned a lot from many of you. I tried the search feature but couldn't find an answer. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Thre are two schools of thought on dry firing, yes and no. I do it all the time, but if in doubt use a snap cap.

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Snap Caps and dry fire is what I was taught and stay with just make sure that you use the snap caps

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

To snap, or not....dry firing won't hurt a thing, nor will leaving the gun cocked, and certain snap caps, the brass ones with the woolly brush thingeys, for instance, can corrode in your chamber, like one did in my Browning 525 in just a few weeks. The important thing is to store your shotguns muzzle down in the safe, so that oil will not migrate downhill into the wood. ...mike

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

I have had my BT99 for 31 years and never dry fired it. There is no need to do it. Also don't drench your gun with oil, wipe down any excess, store it up right and don't worry about all the crap people suggest.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

One school of thought says that springs wear out due to the number of cycles they experience, not from being compressed, so in this regard, dry firing before you put them away actually wears them out faster...

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I read the other responses but we don't all agree together. I have a gun that the original owner did dryfire after shooting and I bought the gun and had problems with an occasional no fire and then got more frequent. A gun smith said the edges of the pins flared due to dryfire and caused the no fire condition. It wasn't designed to dryfire is my opinion. Jackie B.

8. 911 Carrera

911 Carrera TS Member

Thanks for all the input. Certainly is varied. I did look in the owners manual and nothing was mentioned.

Dan

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I stand by the muzzle down storage advice, but agree with that other olefart about drenching your gun with oil. mike

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you feel you must dry fire it and it being a BT-99 do it befor assembling it for storeage. Just stick a shell brass end or a small piece of wood aginst the pin area and pull.

11. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Another tip, during very humid months here in the midwest, I have finished shooting at night and by the next afternoon there was rust in the barrel and chamber. I love all the BT's I have had but that is my biggest complaint. Nowdays, I always clean my barrel if nothing else but a quick wipedown. Don't know if it has helped but I do pull the trigger prior to storage.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

911 Carrera just some food for thought you said "I did look in the owners manual and nothing was mentioned." now think If this was a critical point don't you think it would be in the manual? Further thought if it was a critical point don't you think the manufacturers would provide a way to relieve the tension on the springs in their products? Think about it.

Bob Lawless

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

911...nice !

I've got my BTs too! Browning tells you you do NOT need to release the springs to avoid a "set"... My routine for couple days or couple weeks...

After shooting, while puttng away in the car or case, Tico Tool or Bore Snake, shot of Rem Oil into the chamber + wooly snap cap - keeps the chamber rust free (Brownings have been know for flash rust), wipe down the exterior metal with a lightly oiled rag, then pop the trigger (though you don't have to, it can't hurt!).

I have also found with all my guns that a $5 "SackUps" sleeve keeps the dings away and keeps the guns better in my safe, case and car.

Opening... throw the Tico Tool or Bore Snake through once more and your ready to go... long storage requires better prep and every-so-often inspection for moisture.

Never worried about resting a gun on the butt pad, but I do use an extra piece of carpet as padding on the safe floor.

Continued good shooting with that BT... you can buy more expensive, but that gun will break birds just like the $$$$ guys!

regards to all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.