1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question about gun fit

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by laura!, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

I have been told that you should be able to close your eyes and shoulder your gun and have the beads line up every time. How important is that? When I shoulder my gun with my eyes open I line the beads up, but when I try it with my eyes closed the beads are canted. Just curious if it really matters. (I have learned that shooting the gun with my open has greatly improved my score ;)

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Laura, the reason the beads don't line up when your eyes are closed is that you don't have a really good fit and you must make an adjustment to correct that. Can you make it work as you describe? Sure, however, if you can mount the gun well alligned with your eyes closed every time then it's much easier to have things lined up right without thinking about it and that's the advantage. Important? Only if you want the fit of the gun working in your favor....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bob, I've never believed it. I thought it was a trapshoot'n wives tale. I let the beads tell me when I'm in the gun right. It is too easy for me to roll my cheek bone on the stock and make a fig 8, line em up, or create the "Ski Ramp" look down the rib with my eyes closed. I'll try it tonight again.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Before shooting trap ,I never premounted a shotgun or had one with anything but a Case worn front sight on my 870 express hunting gun. If you have ever bird hunted you may find this a bit interesting. When I first started trap. I shot terrible premounting the gun. In frustration I shot low mount. Would you know it, Started busting them. I then started seeing what I was doing when getting good breaks. The first thing I noticed. I was not firmly placing my face on the stock like I was premounting, so gun was shooting higher. 2 thing I noticed I had my eyes on the target and my body was already on the move to the target and in full swing to follow through before pulling the trigger. 3 thing I was looking at the target more. Now I have a XT with adjustable comb. With some time and practice and adjusting I can mount my gun eyes closed open them and find beads to be in their proper place. Mind you this is not fig8 for me. Rollins stock fitting secrets, Neil Winston and a host of others here on TS have help raise my scores. Also quit a bit of time on the pattern board really helped me. Some will say it doesnt some will say it will. If I where to fig8 my XT for me its no better than my 870 flat flat shooter. I have found I do not like flat shooting guns for trap. Also I found (LH shooter) moving my comb a tad bit to the left helps me hit the LH targets a bit better with out affecting my other angles? These are the things that you find out with practice and trial/error. Always good to have some of the better shooters around you to watch and see what you maybe doing wrong, not telling you what to do right. ex I see a lot of new shooters just lifting off the stock, quickly dismounting the gun. Also see a lot of shooters with busy feet. feet are never in the same place shot to shot. Its a game of repetition. Repeat good things you get better repeat bad you never get better. You also have to give yourself time to reprogram your brain to changes you make. I find small changes one thing at a time. I worked on feet position for several weeks before settling in on what feels and works good for me.

5. laura!

laura! Member

Thanks to all for the good information!

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Laura;

The only way to accurately tell if a gun fits is to determine if its stock dimensions allow a correct gun mount, body posture and stance (shooting form) to be used.

The benefits of a correct shooting form and a gun with stock dimensions that allow its use include a reduction in felt recoil, the postponement of fatigue, the consistency of all aspects of shooting and most importantly, keeping the eye (head) aligned with the rib so you know where the gun is shooting, compared to where you believe you are pointing it.

Closing your eyes and mounting your gun has some shortcomings. Although a "normal" gun mount may align your eye with the gun's rib, the gun mount may be very bad in that it may promote head-movement durings swings and the accuracy problems that are created because of it.

When the beads are misaligned, the gun will not shoot where you think it is going to - the pattern goes somewhere unexpected. Yes, that is important and can cause lost targets. Even when you get your eye aligned with the rib during setup, the question remains, will it stay there during swings?

Gun fit and the use of a correct shooting form make shooting accurately much more likely.

Rollin

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Shortcomings or not, it's a step in the right direction leading to a repeatable mount of the gun without having to focus on beads and adjusting your mount before calling for birds; one less thing to ponder before focusing on seeing only birds....Bob Dodd

8. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

In my short trapshooting career, I found the consistent gun mount leads to consistent scores. Rollin is right too in that a correctly fitted gun will allow you to shoot longer without fatigue and (as a guess here) may help prevent repetitive injury. Since consistent scores is what we are after, with a consistent gun mount we are then left to consider other factors for misses. In my last competitive meet, I shot three consecutive 20's and a 21. I'll be delighted if I can stay within the same range. Prior to this, I shot one meet with a 16, 11, 20, 19. Needless to say it was a disappointing outing. For the next meeting, I hope to stay consistently in the low 20's and will be delighted if I do so.

I hope this helps,

Mike

9. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I also have questions about gun fit. I'm a relatively new shooter July,07 and its very confusing how to get the gun to fit correctly. I have a XT Trap combo new and had a Grecoil put on it to lengthen it out a bit as I'm 6'1" . The people at one of the local clubs told me to measure the length of pull by placing it on my bicep and wrapping my index finger around the trigger at the first joint. this seems to work pretty well and they had me cant the pad a bit to the left so it rests in the pocket. Is this about right or should I find someone in the area that knows how to do this. My scores are very inconsistent and I know that practice is a key but I'd love to get this done once and for all and not have to mess with the stock all the time.

Martin 0765881

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

One option, not as good as a visit to a good, professionals stock fitter, would be to visit my website (above) when the next printing of my book, "Stock Fitting Secrets" is completed and I again have books to ship. The book will tell you everything you need to know to get your gun to fit you, while using the correct shooting form.

The website will be back to normal when I receive books from the printer so they again become available to ship - the end of this month or the first of next.

Rollin

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Martin, Get rollins book, put it on top of the pile in the reading room. I find myself going through it all the time. Just do not try to take it in all at once. I with rollins book Neil W, Hap, havegun and a host of others help. Was able to fit a Wenig stock to my wife and one for myself. Get my XT shooting to where I was looking and the gun was shooting. To win my first State shoot class first year out! class D....Class c or b look out!!!! Also been able to reduce cheak slap and felt recoil, now im into loading also. Martin you do not mention if you have adjustable comb? For me I would never be shooting as well as I am with out the adjustable comb. Great gun to start out with XT combo.....Yeah wish I had a digital camera and got some pics of the the mods I did to my 870 before buying the xt. 870 had bondo comb, home made raised rib. Adjustable recoil pad,,,yeah I modified the current pad just moved and drove the screws in. It was fun. Got to learn a good amount of what changes change what. Have fun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.