1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about FFL transfers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I bought a Trap gun on gunbroker,the gentleman who sold it to me sent it to my FFL,which he says is legal,My FFL provider says it was not shipped from a FFL so he can't transfer it to me,so I am feeling a little stuck,my check has been cashed and my gun is in limbo at the FFL dealer and I am without.Can someone enlighten me as to who is correct the shipper or the FFL provider.Thanks Jerry

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jerry: I have had a number of these transactions. Your FFL should have sent a copy of his FFL to this gentleman who sold you the gun. (This would have assured that the gun was being sent to an FFL holder). Then this gentleman should have shipped the gun to the address on the FFL. It does not have to go FFL to FFL; although some purchasers and sellers choose to go that route. If your FFL has the gun and does the appropriate paperwork; it should be a legal transaction. Some of these FFL's don't know what they are talking about. I remember when I lived in Florida; this one FFL holder charged the guys sales tax on any gun they purchased from out of state; as well as charging them $35 to do the paperwork. Talk about some easy beer money! Ed

3. nevin

nevin TS Member

The seller is correct, it is a legal transfer, although the descision is up to your FFL to decide if he wants to accept the gun from an individual, usually for liability reasons, hot gun, etc. Some FFl's wont accept a copy through fax, e-mail or anything that isn't signed in blue ink, a rule that has bben gone for several years. You just need a new FFL to transfer your guns, and find out first if he will accept from an individual, most will. Live and learn.

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

When I do a transfer from a NON FFL I require a legible copy of a driver license. Its legal to transfer fron an individual to an FFL. Some FFL will not do that though.

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

It is completely legal for a non-FFL to ship a firearm to an FFL dealer for transfer to you. I have done this a number of times. However, nothing in the law "requires" your FFL dealer to accept such shipment and there are many who will not these days. Your dealer should have made it clear that he would only accept shipment from another FFL before setting you up. Unless you can change your dealers mind on this, your dealer may have to send the firearm back to the seller, who can then find a dealer/FFL to ship it for him to your FFL (I would find another FFL myself) who can then transfer it to you. You would probably get stuck for the return shipping costs, the additional cost for the seller to pay a dealer to ship and new shipping costs. Your dealer, if he will not transfer it, ought to pay some of these costs if he did not make clear he would not accept shipment from a non-FFL, in my opinion.

Jim R

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

jdsfarms...What state are you in.....Many are spreading information that varies by state or even local law. Just because it's okay here, does not mean it's okay there. I'd talk with your local FFLs. Information on the WWW could get you in hot water quick.

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Should have asked your FFL if he would accept from a non FFL before shipping it there. If it's legal, he's following his own made up rules. Probably just to cover his butt and make sure it's not stolen. Some guys are ball busters that way and he should have informed you if you discussed the transaction beforehand. Ask him what hoops you have to jump through to get your gun. Maybe not in that way though. You might have to verify the seller with an FFL on his end, or have him send a copy of his driver's license. Be prepared to shell out a few more bucks and make some phone calls. Talk very nicely, and you just might not have to ship the gun back to another FFL, then back to you again. That would suck!

8. 221

Keep in mind, that FFL is doing you a favor.

9. esoxhunter

221: I really don't understand your comment of "The FFL is doing you a favor:. Most FFL's charge $25+ to do the paperwork. Clear profit for the FFL. Not a bad profit for 5 minutes work and no cost to him whatsoever. In this case if the FFL is doing it free; then I will agree he is doing a favor.

10. esoxhunter

Jerry: I agree with magnumshot. Although in my opinion your FFL is being a dickhead, I wouldn't "rock the boat". Ask him if the seller would send a copy of his drivers license; would it be agreeable. Once the transaction is complete; I would surely look for a different FFL to do business with. Ed

11. 221

exo......I have never seen a transfer done in 5 min.......PURE PROFIT....right....pretty obvious your not in business

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

He's not necessarily being a dickhead. Problems occur when a stolen gun enters the system. The BATF will attempt to trace that firearm to each previous owner and clear ownership may be easier to ascertain if another dealer has it entered in his books. Believe me, everytime I've ever been audited by the BATF it was precipated by a similar sale!!

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

221 The FFL holder has the option to set on his butt or spend 5 min to do a transfer . Most FFL,s have time to do a transfer and would be very happy to do them all day long at $25.00 a pop.

14. 221

<em>WHATEVER</em>

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've never seen a FFL transfer that too LONGER than 5 mins, unless there was a delay. Many FFL dealers would not exist if it were not for the income they are able to bring in from transfers. Saying the FFL is doing you a favor for accepting your shipment for a charge is like saying the mailman is doing you a favor bringing the mail to your house.

16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Here again, people who evidently don't do it sure have opinions on what is involved. Five minutes work! Any time a FFl receives a firearm from another dealer, distributor, or individual, he must, after sending and verifying the sender's FFL and faxing his to the sender, unwrap the gun, log it in to his permanent record. He must have the individual fill out a 4473 and then make the background check call. When the waiting period, if required, is over, he must then complete the 4473, complete the delivery part of the permanent log, enter the 4473 number into the log, and then can deliver the gun. At least that is how we have to do it here in Obammyland....IL. If that is five minutes work, then we must be slow.

Of course, we also have to deal with the problem children who don't want us to unwrap the gun, want to bitc* at us if it isn't like what they thought it would be, and so on. It is a service, not a moneymaker.

One local dealer told me a while back that he charges $35 if it is a gun he doesn't handle and $150 if it is something he has in his shop but the buyer wants to get it over the internet.

We transfer quite a few and when it is all said and done, it would have been cheaper to buy it at the local shop in the first place.

17. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

It may not be a federal thing.

But the second hand laws of some states, may make a FFL tell you to take that thing and........

For a FFL to stay legal in thier dealings here..........

It needs to be a transferr form a fully licsensed buisness or.........

They have to fill out a bought merchendice form........

That reguires

Face to Face

proof of ID

and at least

A THUMB print,

after filling out the form, with all the usual stuff, make mod SN#, destinguishing marks and any add on features, if any.

Then they sand it via mail to the local agency that handles the paper work, allowing 3 day's (but only counting Mon to Fri) then 10 buisness day again only counting M to F, then they can sell or transfer said item. This applies to all buisnesses here not just firearms!

So getting a firearm thru the mail with no FFL and NOT from and FFL to transfer........

You want it how DEEP and don't even think your going to get ant lubricant!

Because know he's stuck in the middle of a really bad deal

If he did work on the firearm He can legally send it back where it came from, but that famus movie line "he's stuck in a catch 22" No work NO papers to work with, He is in a world of hurt, about all he can do is call the COP's the BATF and HOPE that he comes out all right.

and HE is ONLY charging $25 to put up with all this IGNORANT BULL CRAP!

It MAKES me think FFL dealers should charge 4 X's ($100) to 10X's ($250)more just so deals like this one deal, don't make all the transferrs they do in a year a loosing propisition!

Al Lingham

And yes I have dealt with this Paper work night mare!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Above is a link to the ATF website. You should find your answers there. Bulge

19. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

CA not only requires FFL to FFL, but also the shipping FFL must have papers sumitted to CA for their approval that the Shipping FFL is OK here. This happened to me. The Shipping FFL sent the gun to the CA FFL, but didn't have the necessary paper filed with CA, and I could not get the gun until CA approved the Shipping FFL, if it is not done, it must be returned to the shipper. WE JUST LOVE IT HERE IN CA.
    Norman

20. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

First of all let me say that I am not blaming anyone for this situation,I am just looking for a solution.The Gun is not manufactured anymore and has value to me as in fits in my collection(for my grandsons).I bid on the gun ,won it,paid for it,provided the proper paper work to the seller,I am not sure what else I could have done to make this transaction work,but now I find myself needing to find a solution to enjoy my purchase.Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ffl to ffl when is it okay to send a gun from ffl to home address