1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about DT-10

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

loose rib maybe???

2. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

A friend's DT-10 rib used to "sing" with every shot. Nothing wrong with it, just takes a bit to get used to.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have two sets of barrels for my DT-10 - one set makes a 'ringing' sound with each shot fired...

It is the same sound you wish to hear from the barrels of an older shotgun that tells you they are in good shape and still firmly held together.

It can be disconcerting...

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Paul, does it have the original comb adjustment hardware or has it been replaced with metal posts and washers (metal ones)? Steve

5. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

In my experience it is the top lever vibrating. It develops a harmonic with the barrels and rings. If the gun were an o/u and you shot the second barrel while the ringing was going on you would notice the ringing immediately stop as the second vibration dampens the first. Also the reason why one barrel causes a ring and the other doesn't; different harmonic frequencies.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Don't DT10's have some extra steel attached to the bottom of the single barrel? Is that for weight or to help with the harmonics?

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

DT10 single barrels "ring" when shot. Not bother some, just the harmonics. Fred

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Gun is possessed by demons, take appropriate action. HMB

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Send me the gun and I will "Exorcise" it...may take a few years but it'll be worth the wait!!

Curt - Delaware

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

I had a loose allen screw in the forearm iron that hit the bbl on mine. After I found that, the ringing is much less noticible.

John

11. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I heard singing once after a 25 straight, but it turned to be the "loose screw" BEHIND the recoil pad. ;-) .....Rick

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

POI depends mostly on the barrel set.

I have a sporting clays model of the DT-10 that shoots very flat (not far off of 50/50 with 32" barrels). I also have a set of trap barrels that are 60/40 or so (30").

My 687 X-Trap Single (34") is about 80/20 (too high for my liking), and the O/U set of barrels (32") is closer to 70/30 (again, a bit higher than I like).

Remember that stock shape/fit may impact on this - not just barrel contours...

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Paul: The ring is not a "problem" and only from the single barrel. Fred

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

John, that's interesting to hear about the O/U. Mine is almost just the opposite. Top bbl shoots between 80 and 90/% high and the bottom bbl 50/50. Guess I'll be shooting dbls. top bbl. first. Steve

15. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

This thread amused me as some die hards on here wonder why we would ever send barrels to the guys like Eyster, Allor, and Wilkinson etc! How could they possibly be better than factory!? Sorry diehards, but if you think the factories don't make some lemons, guess again! You see above the 80 over and 50 under! I can beat that with my 682x! It is 100 top and 70 bottom so I also have to shoot the top barrel first! They screw up chokes nicely also! Tom Rhoads

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So how do "you" know how high or low the barrel is shooting? Patterning? Counting pellets? Gun placed in a vise? Each gun will shoot differently for the person mounting the gun, the type of shell, the adjustable comb, and where the target is shot down range. And IF we put on some weight and our face gets a little fatter everything changes. So don't think the gun left the factory all screwed up -- we can screw the gun up just fine all by ourselves. P.S. The factory single barrel DT10 shot 200+ straight with its 'ping'. Fred

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My old TM-1 rang like a bell when I shot it. My Perazzi Mirage Bunker gun does the same.

Under certain conditions, when under a Sporting Clays tower, my Browning Special Sporting rings like it is hit with a hammer when fired.

Think about what the shell does to the barrel when it fires. It hits the barrel like a hammer.

Take the barrel off, tie a strong string to it and suspend it. Hit it smartly on the monoblock with a plastic or wood mallet. If the barrel set is properly built, and in good repair, it will ring like a bell, in about the same frequency you hear when it is fired.

If it goes "CLUNK", you should have it checked by an expert. You may have a separation of the solder holding the barrels together, or perhaps a barrel separation in the monoblock.

As far as Point-of-Impact on a shotgun, your eye is the rear sight. How high or low your eye is on the stock determines YOUR Point-of-Impact.

Being an Amerind, my VERY high cheekbones makes even my Skeet gun shoot like most Trap guns. My Trap guns are right at 100% high. Works for me.

A young or petite shooter may shoot low with most any gun they shoot, due to the eye being low behind the rib. If too low, the temptation is to lift the head to see the target.

This is something to remember when working with young athletes and female shooters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.