1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about cross firing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by balance365, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balance365

balance365 TS Member

I have a cross firing / eye dominance issue. I am right handed with the left eye taking over. When I started shooting I was a 1 eyed shooter. Many people said I should go 2 eyed. That started as a catastrophy with the cross firing. I went to the magic dot and that helped for a while, but then I found my off eye kept trying to "peek" around the dot, so I went to a larger piece of tape. That seems to have cured me, but it seems like the tape blocks off enough of my vision to make me left eye not much better than being shut. There are sight blinders and cross fire eliminitors out there that would, I think, allow me to remove the tape and have 2 "good" eyes. Are these devices effective or not in preventing a cross firing situation?

2. tandemdude

tandemdude TS Member

I have a rib made by keensights that completely fixe that problem for me. The fiber optic sits down in the rib and my left eye can't see it at all. You might give Vicki a call, they make a great product at a great price and are wonderful people to deal with, Norm

keensights@keensights.com

3. 682b

682b Member

Norm is right on the fix here. 150.00 and the problem is gone. Two eyed JIM

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem. I tried all of the sight blinders and glow worms and EasyHit sights and they did not cure the problem. At my second Kiner clinic I reluctantly tried tape again. I had a little success with it and decided to keep going to see how it would work. I tried Magic Dots, and like you, I peeked around. I tried more tape, then opaque tape, and an eye patch. Then I just closed my left eye. That took a while to get used to doing without squinting the open eye.

After trying the closed eye routing for a couple months I can say it works, but causes me other problems. I simply have a difficult time picking up left targets with my left eye closed and my right eye behind the receiver.

So, I working on another custom stock that has enough offset to allow me to turn my fat face more forward so I'm not looking out the corner of my glasses. Also, I put the EasyHit 2.5mm sight back on and shot with both eyes open. Bingo. The combination worked. After shooting this way for two weeks I found I was occasionally cross firing again. I cured that by closing the left eye for some practice rounds, and shooting two eyed when it counts. It appears I will always have to train my brain to use my right eye for "aiming".

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Are you Right Eye dominate? Have you been tested? What is your vision?(how well do you see) Right Eye and left eye?
    Joe

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Balance...

Obtain the newest Phil Kiner DVD, he has alot of good information about the eyes, etc.

Very worth while investment.

Curt

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Just a question guys. In order to do this cross-firing thing, wouldn't one have to take the eyes away from the target to do that? Or, lose the intensity of the eye/eyes locked on to an angling clay measured in nano second time? Hap

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

No Hap, eyes locked on target you still shoot left when your left eye takes over. When you do what you questioned, you miss for other reasons.

9. Hap MecTweaks

ZZT, Phil K. talks of a difference in lookin at and intently seeing a clay in his videos. The question I have is, does this happen during the "intent" look? It seems a lot of shooters can't see or don't know the differences between the two different visuals. Hap

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Intense, Hap, as in fixated on. Looking too hard may be part of the problem in that my left eye is always going to have a better view of almost every target. For certain the left going ones are the most problematic.

The days I am seeing the targets well and locking on as if by magic are the days I have the fewest problems. Days where I struggle to see well are the days with the most problems.

Some days it doesn't make any difference at all. My left eye is going to take over no matter what, so I just close it. Otherwise I'm just wasting lead.

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

11. Hap MecTweaks

If Phil couldn't solve your eye problem, probably better if you continue closing the offending eye.

I don't have that particular problem but if I did. I'd certainly try finding a way to see the target with both eyes in a manner the offending eye couldn't see the barrel or beads but only the clay. If that is possible, how could it then take over? Hap

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

It is also the left eye seeing the target. This is what Phil talks about in his new video. If this is happening, blocking just the bead is of no help. If you can mount your gun and actually get a focus on the side of the barrel from your left eye, you just may have a problem.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try closing your left eye while mounting the gun. Open immediately prior to calling for the target. A few months of this practice may cure your problem!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cure for trap shooting cross firing