1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Concealed Weapon Permit in Florida

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Here is a question for some of you who may keep up with the legal aspects of carrying a concealed weapon.

Suppose a person is a resident of Florida and they have a resident permit from the state of Florida to carry a concealed weapon. This permit is recognized by numerous other states through "reciprocity" agreements. Georgia is one of the states which recognizes the CCW permits from Florida.

Now suppose that that Florida resident moves his residence to Georgia. The questions is "What, if anything, does that person need to do to be legal in his carrying of a concealed weapon?"

Could he just keep his Florida resident CCW permit, or would he have to re-apply to Florida for a non-resident permit? Or, would he be better off to apply for a Georgia resident permit?

It appears that more states recognize the Florida CCW permit than the Georgia CCW permit, so it would seem to be an advantage to have a Florida CCW permit if that person does much traveling.

Anyone got any reliable answers on this issue?

Thanks,

Easystreet

2. setter

setter Member

Review the above.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You would have to apply for a new permit in your new state of residence. Same as your drivers license and plates for your car.

Eric

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I suspect that you 'fall through the cracks' on this one.

As I recall FLA has an 'out of state' permit, which in moving to GA you will need to apply for. Not sure if your previous status as a FLA permit holders helps there, if you would need to go through the whole process anew.

Worth a call to the appropriate state office to find out...

5. Easystreet

Setter,

I read all I could find on that site before posting my question here and I didn't find anything that addressed my situation. Can you direct me to a specific section or quote on that site that would answer my question?

Thanks,

Easystreet

6. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

As one who went through a similar experience, I recommend that you get a Georgia CCW since that is the state in which you are a resident. Many states that reciprocate with Florida do not recognize the Florida non-resident CCW. The non-resident permit is mainly for the snow birds who live in a state that does not have shall issue and permits them to carry a weapon while wintering in Florida.

....PAul

7. Easystreet

Paul,

Thanks for the comments, but according to my research, out of the 35 states which recognize Florida CCW licenses, only 4 of them (New Hampshire, Michigan, South Carolina, and Colorado) do not recognize non-resident Florida licenses. This leaves 31 states which do recognize non-resident Florida CCW licenses.

Georgia CCW licenses are recognized in only 24 states.

Therefore, it would seem to be advantageous (for MOST people) to have a non-resident Florida license rather than a Georgia resident license.

I guess that leaves me in the position of needing to find out whether my resident Florida license is still good if I move to Georgia, or whether I will need to apply for a NON-resident Florida license if I move to Georgia. I suppose that a phone call or perhaps a brief letter to the Florida state officials would answer that question.

Thanks,

Easystreet

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Why not call the Georgia State Police, or county and local police and ask them? They would be the ones to enforce the law, if there is one. From what I can read, a Fl. licence in Georgia is good to go.Wayne

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

You may want to get in touch with the office of the Georgia Attorney General AND GET HIS OPINION IN WRITING. For your own protection, do not rely on statements made by the police over the telephone, just in case what you think they said, and what they say they said comes into question. Chichay

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I believe you will find out that you will have to have a license based on your address. I lived/was stationed in Fl and when I retired I had to get Ga license's which included CCW. That was almost twenty years ago so a lot could have changed. Unless you maintain an address in Fl? Jackie B.

11. Easystreet

Well, it looks like I may not need to do anything about my CCW license if I move to Georgia except notify the Florida Division of Licensing in writing about my change of address. However, I'll probably send them a letter or email and ask them to confirm my interpretation of the law. The "copy and paste" done below was taken from the website of the Florida Division of Licensing as it pertains to change of address. I couldn't find anything that distinguished between moving within state or moving from one state to another. For that matter, I'm not sure there is any difference at all in the actual license issued by the State of Florida to residents or non-residents other than the license holder's address on the license. It appears they are one and the same license.

Easystreet

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes of Address
    FOR CONCEALED WEAPON LICENSEES

Section 790.06(8) requires you to notify the Division of Licensing in writing within 30 days after a change of address. You can change your address online. Alternatively, you can submit your notification to us in writing at the following address:

Division of Licensing
    P.O. Box 3030
    Tallahassee, FL 32315-3030

The law does not require a concealed weapon licensee to obtain a replacement license after a change of address. You can continue to carry your current license until it expires. However, if you would like a revised license reflecting your new address, please submit a written request for a replacement license to the address above along with a personal check or money order made payable to the Division of Licensing in the amount of $15.00 AND a passport-type color photograph.

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that the change of address form above applys to moves within Florida, not to moves out of state. Like a drivers license you have to get a new one once you become a resident of another state within a certain period of time so that it shows your new address.

Eric

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Easystreet:

Having been a resident of Georgia and a CCW holder while also holding an FFL and owning a Gun Shop, I can tell you that as soon as you become a legal resident of Georgia in accordance with their statute, your Florida CCW is void. Each state has a different requirement for "legal resident". Here in Colorado it's as soon as you are employed, or 90 days of residency. Check into Georgia, I think it might be the same. Georgia CCW takes 6 weeks to 6 months. No qualification such as a firearms class. Local Sherrif who does the paperwork and fingerprinting, then it goes to the GBI for background check then comes back to your local Probate Judge for approval and issuance. Good luck.

blade819

14. Easystreet

blade819,

Are you saying that a resident of Georgia can't get a non-resident CCW license from Florida? That's not the way I read the law, but I could be wrong.

Easystreet

15. Easystreet

Here is some more information I found on another website. Basically it says that it makes no difference which state you live in, you may obtain a Florida CCW license if you meet certain qualifications. It also says that there is no difference at all between the permit issued to Florida residents and non-residents. They all get the same type permit.

Note: I think there are now 31 states which recognize the Florida CCW license. West Virginia is one of those not listed on the list below.

Easystreet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. How many states honor the Florida CHL?
    Twenty-eight plus Florida makes twenty-nine.
    (Return to Top of Page)

3. Does Florida issue Concealed Carry Permits to non-residents of the State of Florida?
    Yes. Absolutely. The State of Florida issues CCW permits to all applicants who are qualified regardless of whether they reside in Florida or in any other state. In actuality, Florida does not issue a separate permit called "Non-Resident Permit. If you are qualified, regardless of the state in which you reside, you will be issued a Florida CCW Permit. Your permit card will have your picture and your address on it. A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.
    (Return to Top of Page)

4. Can I get a Florida CCW Permit even though I reside in a state that does not issue CCW Permits?
    Yes. Absolutely. While the Florida CCW Permit will not entitle you to carry legally in your state, if your state does not issue CCW permits or allow concealed carry (for example, NJ and MD), it will give you the right to carry a concealed firearm legally in 29 other states: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Delaware, Florida, Virginia, Texas, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont and Wyoming.
    (Return to Top of Page)

16. blade819

My advise to you is forget Florida Law! If you are going to reside in Georgia, research Georgia Law, that's where you could end up in jail.

17. Easystreet

OK, here (above) is a link to the states that Georgia recognizes the CCW licenses from. As you can see from the map, Florida is one of those states. Also, it clearly states that Georgia law doesn't care if you are a resident of the issuing state or not, Georgia will still recognize the CCW license.

Easystreet

18. blade819

Please read the heading "Out of State Visitors". If you intend to take up residency in Georgia with a Georgia Drivers License, you have to have a Georgia CCW. Good Luck.

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

blade is correct.If you become a GA resident, that FL permit means nothing in GA. You need a permit from GA if you are a resident.

This is a copy from the GA site linked above that is pretty clear on it: "On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state."

20. Easystreet

Thanks. After further reading, it looks like you guys are right. It sure seems like a strange and illogical law, but I guess that's the way it is. Thanks for pointing it out to me. It might have saved me from a legal hassle at some future date.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is the ccw from another state good in florida after a person moves to fl

when can i shoot someone in georgia if a have ccw permit