1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about choke brands

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JC523, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC523

JC523 TS Member

I am going to get a few extended chokes for a Browning XT and wanted to get some opinions. I thought I would either order Brileys or the Browning Midas chokes. I thought about the Midas chokes because I can get them local. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There is only so much you can do with a steel tube ballistically. It's the outsides that sell chokes and they don't contribute anything to performance.

You'll find the major brands of extended tubes to all be within about 1/16" of each other overall and most will have a parallel section about an 1.1" long. That leaves the tapers to have about the same included angles. The finish inside the tube is irrelevant to ballistic performance. Not much to make them different from each other so pick the one that looks good to you.

MK

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wright's(link above) extended chokes are the best. They have very nice consistent patterns. My son uses Wright's chokes in his Browning and i use them in my Beretta. I had some Briley Spectrum Extended and there was no comparing the two. The Wright's had a much more dense shot spread across the board. That's my opinion and i will swear by them.---------Matt

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Not all are polished equally internally either!

Hap

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

JC, just so you know Briley makes the Browning Midas Grade chokes as well as a excellent line in there name. I have a full set of the Midas Grade chokes for my 2 brownings and love them. I would recomend them to any serious shooter. Briley has 2 higher grades of chokes now that may look better than the Midas, but I don't think that they will pattern any better. Just more eye candy as it were. Briley does more testing and patterning of there chokes than anyone I have read about. So I say go for it. Break-=em all. Jeff

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The shell being used, the barrel and the choke have some input on the best pattern. I am a firm believer of Kicks competition chokes in my Kolar and I have friends that swear by them in there K-80. I have tried different ones and always shoot better scores with the Kick's chokes.
    Good luck with your choice, there are many.

7. grntitan

This thread has some chances.....its about like asking Full or Mod. LOL

8. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

dont forget mullers they are fantastic, ive used most and i recon mullars are hard to beat, great results at 25 meter mark and u dont have to clean them!! jonnyd.

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

There was an interesting article years ago in the English Clay Shooting magazine written by Richard Ralston, the editor at the time.

He took 18 choke tubes from various manufacturers, bore miked them all for exact 10 thou (IC)then fired 5 patterns each and counted the pellets. He found some choke tubes gave him cylinder patterns, some gave him the expected IC patterns and found some gave him full choke patterns.

I think his point was that just screwing in a choke tube marked with the desired level of choking didn't guarantee that you got what you expected. You have to do the grunt work and the results depend on the tube, the barrel and the shell components used. Picking your favorite or a recommended brand is just the start of the journey.

- - Bill

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Stu Wright taught me that the amount of parallel in a choke is critical to how it will pattern. An open choke with a lot of parallel will usually pattern tighter than a choke with more constriction but less parallel. More parallel can also lead to increased plastic residue in the choke.

Ed

11. grntitan

Ed---Please explain the parallel in a choke. I know Stu as well and can never understand a darn thing he is say'n. He just speaks over my head.---Matt

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

As stated above,Briley makes Midas chokes for Browning

Doug H.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And then there are Teague choke tubes, highly regarded in Europe, that have NO parallel section. Strictly conical.

Hmmmm

14. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Comp-N-Chokes work wel in my 682..seems pretty tight

15. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I don't seem to have any problems with the Trulock choke in my Browning. Excelement patterns. The Wright's I have in my P-gun work as good as anyone would want as well.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Almost every choke has some parallel at the outlet. That section is untapered and it is believed that some parallel is needed to stabilize the shot as it exits the muzzle. As the amount of the choke's length that is parallel increases, the less is left for taper and the more abrupt that taper becomes. Abrupt tapers can result in increased pellet deformation and will scrub plastic from wads.

I don't know the physics of how more parallel makes pattern cores hotter, but it does. I have some chokes that have 1/2" or more of parallel and they will absolutely turn targets inside out - IF you center the target in your pattern. If you don't always do that (and I sure don't), you might see more dusted but unbroken targets because the outer part of those patterns are pretty thin. I have an extended I/M choke tube for a Remington 870/1100 etc. the has .027" of constriction according to my bore gauge but it has a lot of parallel. It prints hotter cores than an extended aftermarket "turkey" choke with .056" of measured constriction but a minimal amount of parallel.

I recently measured and patterned two 870 Competition barrels. One had a .743" bore and .038" of constriction while the other had a .744" bore and .039" of constriction. Those barrels should print very similar patterns, right? Maybe the second barrel could print a hair tighter patterns, it is safe to assume. Well, the .743" barrel had more than twice the parallel of the second and printed noticeably hotter cores.

You gotta have a bore gauge! Without one, you're flying blind when it comes to what your choke really is or why it patterns like it does.

Ed

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ed,

Teague chokes have no parallel section. In fact, that's their sales pitch as to why they are better.

See the link.

I don't buy the parallel section hype, nor do I buy the "extended chokes give better patterns" hype.

Honestly, I think the "parallel section makes better patterns" is equally as much sales BS as Teague's "no parallel section makes better patterns."

Think about it; wouldn't you agree that if you have a really, really long "parallel section" that what you are heading towards is a cylinder choke with a smaller barrel diameter?

But I also don't believe that a choke is a choke is a choke. You buy a choke, you pattern it, and only then do you know if your choice was a good one.

Briley, Wright, Kicks, Carlson's, Trulock, I think they all make good quality chokes.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<i><blockquote>"I don't know the physics of how more parallel makes pattern cores hotter, but it does. I have some chokes that have 1/2" or more of parallel and they will absolutely turn targets inside out - IF you center the target in your pattern."</blockquote>
    <center>--and--</center>
    <blockquote>"Think about it; wouldn't you agree that if you have a really, really long "parallel section" that what you are heading towards is a cylinder choke with a smaller barrel diameter?"</blockquote></i>

YUP! The card shooters have known for years that one of the ways to blow the center out of a 4" square card at 25 yards was to build a custom 12 gauge barrel with a tight chamber, a 2" forcing cone and a .660"-.680" bore. The core of the pattern will be super dense but it will also be considerably smaller and contain fewer shot than there would be if it was shot through a standard bore and a similar sized turkey choke.

It would be like trying to shoot trap with a rifle.

MK

19. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Like most things, there is a degree of personal choice. I have confidence in Comp-N-Choke and that is all I use. I have used them in my Citori plus, Beretta auto, DT 10 and MX 15. They are easy in and easy out, clean up well and answer all my personal needs.

JON

20. GOLDFINGER

GOLDFINGER TS Member

hi, any browning need midas chokes , or briley believe it we are from de country were browning is made see jou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.