1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about choke and tube sets?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

What are your thoughts or conclusions of the effect of existing barrel choke and the effect on shot charge on the payload from sub-gauge tubes. I am thinking of trying to locate a set of 31.5" barrels for my Perazzi. My current barrels are 32" and are 1.71kg, they are about as heavy as I can shoot. I am kicking around the idea of finding a set of 31.5" barrels in the low 1.50 kgs, I am thinking of going with fixed .15 and .20/.25 barrels. A tube set would probably come in @ 30"s. What do you think would be the effects of the 1.5"s of barrel leangth, which would be the choke section on the pattern from the tubes?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Are you asking, "would the choke in the 31.5" 12 gauge barrel affect the pattern from the 30" sub-gauge tubes?"

Answer is no.

3. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

That is the question in simple form.

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I once had a set of 28 & 410 "side kicks" fitted to a 20 ga. by Briley. Much to my surprise I couldn't affect the pattern at all with any choke in my 20, even XF, & the side kicks are only about 7" long.......the pattern was cylinder.....always.
    Having a shorter tube than the barrel length may cause the tube to not fit as tightly as it would if it were full length & fitted into a choke tube made for it but the pattern sure won't be affected by the carrier barrel's choke.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Briley will tell you that if the distance from the end of the tube to the muzzle is less than 6 inches- no effect

another option- they can make the tubes to fit those chokes you mentioned if you wanted to go full length

If you wanted to go the shortest possible tubes- for weight- you could go 26 inches

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a 686 SP and it has 30 inch barrel and a older tube set(Briley) and love it for shooting whatever. I shoot the 410 tubes a lot for skeet but my 686 has screw in chokes. The tube set will not go in with the full choke tubes screwed into my gun barrel. Mostly I leave Briley skeet extended choke tubes in my gun except for shooting trap. I have a C&H kick suppressor in the stock so I never notice the tubes being in the gun. If you barrels have fixed chokes they will fit your tubes to your barrel. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.