1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Chevy/GMC Trucks??????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kolar Dan, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Parkerguy,
    IMHO GM doesn't offer it so they can sell OnStar.
    Sonny Daniels. PS-If you find something-Let me know

2. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

Try the website above and here. About $180. Advanced installation skills required according to them. Good Luck!

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

They have remote locks and starter on the new Silverado. Why would you need or want a keypad?

ec90t

4. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

ec90t...Same with Ford. The idea is if you happen to lock your keys in the car, or have a dead battery on the remote, you have option B. Of course, there is always putting the key in the lock if the battery goes dead. Hey, there's a concept. ----I think KolarDan hit it right. Can't sell Onstar with that option available. That is the concept behind free enterprise. If you market it right you will be rich. Gotta love it.

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I always wondered why a keypad too until I locked my keys and fob in the car. Cost me $75 to open the door. Wish my 4Runner had a keypad.No option there either.

6. TC

TC TS Member

I may be wrong, but I do not think a Silverado will get 20 mpg on E85! I can get 21 mpg on 87 octane, but it drops to 17-18 with E10.

7. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

The moderators aren't going to like this thread- sic em

BERNI..Please watch the sarcastic remarks and postings. Postings like yours above will not be tolerated any longer... moderator

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

there is an option from some company that is an add on strip keypad that is actually like a remote key fob but i believe works with any vehicle. check at an auto specializer,custom shop . finish line in cleveland ohio is where I saw them but probably any one of those shops would sell them. I believe they were about 100 dollars. they just stick on theoutside of the door. motordoc

9. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Hide a spare key somewhere under the vehicle.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have gm truck with OnStar. Locked myself out. Nobody would lend me a cell phone, all too busy. Always keep a hidden key on the vehicle. Electronic stuff can fail, mechanical stuff is less likely too...keep locks lubed with graphite and you are good to go re. reliability. BTW, put your money in shock absorber upgrade; factory shocks (unless Bilstein) genrally allow too much rebound for my tastes.

11. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Expect 13 to 15 with E85, it is disgustingly low. Also most places costs about as muct as gas. Expect 16 to 20 on gas with the 5.3 and 3.43 gears, more if slower less if faster or windy, prob 18 or so nominally. Tho some will say they get better, you won't get any better than me and I get as good as anyone. Expect 8 to 11 pulling anything much at all. Just the price you pay for one fine ride. They are big, heavy and not so aerodynamic, just don't slice the air like a vette.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I guess that I may be just a little old fashioned. I carry a spare door key in my wallet just in case of the door getting locked accidently. I have done this for years and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than OnStar or a keypad!

ec90t

13. break25

break25 TS Member

ec90t,

I was waiting to get to the end of this thread to write the same reply as you did. Hey, the cost of a spare key at the most $2.00 is far more cheaper than calling for road service. If you don't want to keep the spare in your wallet,
    drill a hole large enough for the license bolt into the key. Put the key behind the plate and screw the plate back on.
    A dime usually works.

Chazz

14. jimx200

jimx200 Member

As a AAA member, I get one of their free nylon spare keys that are cut out and still attached in the shape of a credit card..fits in the wallet and I have used it a few times...Boy Scout motto..."Be Prepared".

15. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the first thing to do with another car is to put a key behind the license plate, it comes in handy when needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.