1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question about BT99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ace123, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace123

ace123 TS Member

I am looking at a BT99 f/s at my club, is there anything I should be wary of on this gun? Good shape- 750.00. Thanks, Steve

2. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

My first real trap gun was a used BT99 (adj comb) and I still shoot it now. I've had it since December, paid $850. It'a great trap gun! I'm just starting to settle into it with about 1000 birds (weekend shooter)
    -Make sure:
    -it has an adjustable comb
    -the gun locks up tight
    -the forend is not loose (mine was and I fixed it)
    -if it's not a fixed choke, you can screw the chokes in and out easily
    -the point where the barrel mates with the forend is smooth and not gauled
    -the ejector is not worn out or broken (mine was worn, I replaced it)
    The 99's come in basically two flavors the "old" and the "new" (advantages and disadvantages in both). Someone else on this site would be more of an expert with regards to explaining the difference between the two.

Hawk,

3. mecman

mecman TS Member

Ihave one myself, love it if this gun that is for sale, will the owner have any problems with you shooting it? see if it fits comfortably, is it adjustable? how old is the gun?

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Excellent points above. Basically no, nothing in particular you need to be wary of. Be sure that when you close the action, the opening lever is to the right of straight back towards the centerline of the metal tang under it. Any amount to the right of straight back is fine. Also look for rust on the breech face (around where the firing pin hole is.) Not a deal-breaker, but you can use that to bargain-down the price. And shoot it before buying if possible. I assume it's an older (pre-'94) model, & that's a fair price if it's tight & in very good condition. These are excellent guns you'll never wear out. Phil E

5. ace123

ace123 TS Member

Thanks for the info. I will be able to shoot it next weekend. No adj. comb, has been gone through by a good shotgun gunsmith. Hope to buy after shooting it.

Steve

6. missemucho

missemucho Member

Without hijacking this thread, I'd like to know if anyone has had a BT-99 tightened up that had the lever to the left? If so, what did it cost? Guys at the club are trying to tell me $400 but I can't believe someone would spend that unless they were emotionally attached to the gun!
    John

7. pdq

pdq Member

Given how important it is to see the target well, I'd be very sure that not only was the gun in decent condition, but that the gun fit me with a great sight picture before I'd buy a gun without an adjustable comb. I was recently customed fitted for a stock and I still specified an adjustable comb. Hard to break targets without a good sight picture.

Note to Ace123: if you check that gun out & it's not in the shape you expected, shoot me an e-mail. I have a 2001 lightly used BT-99 with an adjustable comb in it's box that I plan to sell. Actually 1 of 3 guns I'm planning to sell.

Pete

8. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

missemucho,

I had mine tightened up at Art's a few years ago. I believe the cost was somewhere between 200 - 300.

As far as $400 being too much to spend repairing a gun...that's kind of a relative thing. If the gun fits, shoots were you point etc and $400 makes it nearly good as new, why not? A new BT is going to be 3 times that much and may not fit as good.

9. missemucho

missemucho Member

Tom;
    Good point--if/when you get a gun that suits you $400 is probably the cheapest investment you can make in trapshooting!
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

when is a bt-99 worn out