1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Browning XT Combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikeo65, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo65

mikeo65 TS Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a Browning XT Combo, wondering if I should get it with or without the adjustable comb?

Should I just get an after market adjustable combo cut out of the stock?

Just wondering what ya'll think....

Thanks,
    Mike

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

There has been lots of discussion here regarding the factory adj comb from Browning. IIRC, the general consensus was buy the regular stock and have someone like Joe @ Tronspace Gunworks install the adjustable hardware.

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

IMHO, I would purchase the adjustable. This is a good way to adjust your POI and your eye alignment over the gun.

Bryan

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, For what Browning charges you can have the Country Gentleman install one!!! He is regarded as the best in the business and his work can increase the worth of any firearm. Brownings hardware will come loose and move around while CG's hardware is first rate so you just set it and forget it. I have heard that Tron does nice work too. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Another one for Tron space. Tron has done, I believe four or five now and every single one has been absolutely perfect. Also he is the most reasonable and turnaround time is just a few days. He cant be beat. Alex Kotter superior wisconsin

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

The hardware Browning uses for its adjustable comb is part plastic and tends to slip. However, Graco makes an aluminum drop-in substitute for about $100 that works very well. I suggest you get the adjustable comb model from Browning and replace the Browning hardware with the Graco equipment. There is no wood working, filing or fitting required - the Graco equipment fits the Browning cut-outs exactly.

I have tried converting the Browning Monte Carlo non-adjustable stock into a comb-adjustable version by adding two-post conventional comb adjustment hardware. I found that the shape of the comb on the non-adjustable Browning Monte Carlo stock is more v-shaped or pointy at the top than the comb shape on the Browning stock with the factory adjustable comb, the latter being more u-shaped or rounded at the top. The v-shaped comb tended to dig into my cheek much more than the u-shaped comb, and I found it fairly uncomfortable, once the comb was raised.

Ted K.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

When I bought my XT combo I bought the monte carlo stock model and had an after market adjustable comb and adjustable pad put on. In my opinion the monte carlo stock no only looks better but it can be adjusted higher than the straight stock. I find there is no dis-comfort in the monte carlo stock converted to a adjustable comb and I've shot a wide range of Browning trap guns.

Bill

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Mike,

This was one of my posts to a similar question, back in January of this year.

"I can speak from personal experience about this. I purchased a new XT with factory adjustable comb about 5 years ago. It had pretty wood, looked good and seemed to come up good in the gun store. Took it home went to the range, had a rude awakening. I simply could not shoot this gun with any consistency.

The buttstock was a little on the long side for me, so in order to cut about 3/8" off of the buttstock, I had to have the long threaded rod (that goes through the hardware) milled down at the back of the comb hardware to the size of the threaded portion of the rod, so it could go forward another 3/8" and maintain consistent length through the back of the pad. I had to buy a special size die to add threading to the rod, and then either cut off the added length of the threaded road at the front or drill a hole forward in the buttstock to allow for the excess length rod to go. I chose drilling the hole in the buttstock. (I still have the die to cut threads available, used one time and will sell for $5.00 and ship for free if anyone needs one. Its a metric of course) After that, the comb could not be maintain in its position due to the fact that sufficiently sized cuts in the two female portions of the comb hardware were not present from the factory that allowed the threaded rod to compress them sufficiently to maintain a constant position of the comb height. Larger relief cuts had to be made.

After all that was done thinking that the stock finally fit, I experienced some of the worst recoil from an over under that I ever have. Granted I was shooting 3 dram gun clubs and they thump a bit. However, even an 11 ounce C&H mercury recoil reducer could not take the recoil out of the gun.

I have shot XT's and Citori Traps with Monte Carlo stocks and have not felt recoil like that of the factory adjustable comb models. Plus for me the monte carlo stock models seem to fit better and put my head in a more comfortable position. Plus they do not feel as point heavy. Some like heavy pointing guns, but I don't.

I sincerely recommend that you try both with different loads and on different days to see which one shoots and feels the best. While I like Brownings, I found the factory adjustable comb model a total disappointment, and lost my behind selling mine. However, when you are frustrated you are more prone to do stupid and economically unsounds things.

Hope this sheds some light from my perspective. My vote is to consider the monte carlo model. If you need adjustment on the comb spend the money on after-market comb hardware."

Good luck, John E.

9. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Mike065, my wife and I both shoot XT combo's we both have adjustable stocks. We put a graycoil pad on her's I shoot factory pad and adjustable comb. I shoot about 40,000 shots per year and have had the comb come loose once in about 150,000 shots. Not enough to effect the gun's performance. But it can slip around. I would definitly not discount this gun because of it's comb. The gun has at least 50% less recoil, can be set to shoot as much as 80% high. Crushes targets. You can shoot it for 12 hours with no fatigue, which is great for shootoffs at the end of a day.

However, I did struggle for the 1st 6 months and worked my way into the gun. Everyone I have let use my gun which is about 12 to 15 persons now own XT combo's. I must now use colored spacers to discern my gun from all the others at our club. I keep special papers in my case to tell it from all the others. A nice problem to have. None of them have comb problems.

Are there better comb systems out there, definitely! Would I switch guns because of this. Definitely not!

I would have a gun smith lengthen the lower firing pin. I tends to miss fire on deeply seated primers. With the pin lengthened that problem goes away. For me 1 oz. light target load is the cats meow at the 16 to 27 yard line with full choke. Makes the nicest soot balls you ever did see!!!

Choose the XT 34/32 combo and you will be pleased like me. CalamitySJ, my wife has the 32/30 Combo. Tends to be about 1# lighter but shoots exactly the same. The over under barrels are heavy, but it keeps swinging through the target, stopping the short shooting problem.

Primedust
    Mark Stevens

10. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

I just purchased a used XT and the Browning hardware on mine will not stay up or will not stay to the left when I adjust it. I have it at a local gunsmith replacing it's hardware. I am also putting a Jones adjustable recoil pad with a kick ezz attached. I was going to put a counter coil but due to a bushing inside the stock that was epoxied in it would not work. So I am going to try the 3 inch mercury recoil reducer. I too had to cut close to 3/4 of an inch off to make it a 14 lop for me. And that is with the trigger adjusted all the way back. I am having trouble shooting mine right now. I hope these changes work for me. I think eventually I will learn to shoot the gun I just need it to get fitted correctly.

James

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You will spend quite a bit more getting the adjustable comb as a factory option than if you have Tron do the work aftermarket. The factory equipment does not compare in quality to Tron's product either.

12. Pull & Mark

Ted, I'm a little confused on your post. You say Mike should spend a extra 266 dollars for a factory adj. comb and then spend another 100 for aftermarket hardware he has to pay shipping on and install himself or pay someone even more money to install. Can I ask why??? Break-em all. Jeff

13. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Jeff -

I'm sorry, but you must have skimmed my post without reading it. In it I said

1. The Graco equipment drops in, with no wood working, filing or fitting required. Thus there is no reason to pay anyone anything to install it.

2. More important, the non-adjustable Citori Monte Carlo stock has a more pointy shape than the adjustable stock and is therefore uncomfortable when raised using comb adjustment hardware.

3. The reason I know all this is that I tried adding comb adjustment hardware to a non-adjustable Citori Monte Carlo stock.

I think all of the above was quite clear in my post. But let me put it in different words -

THE NON-ADJUSTABLE CITORI MC STOCK AND THE ADJUSTABLE COMB STOCK ARE NOT THE SAME SHAPE AT THE TOP OF THE COMB. THIS DIFFERENCE IS CRUCIAL IF YOU TRY TO CONVERT ONE TO THE OTHER.

What I didn't mention is that the result of converting the non-adjustable MC stock to an adjustable comb was so bad I took the stock off the gun and had a new stock made. You can have the old one that I tried to convert for 50 bucks, as is. But I think you'll be paying $50 too much for it.

Ted K.

14. Pull & Mark

Ted, I read your post, but find by re-reading your new post that "YOU" just don't like the feel of the two sightly different stocks. This is why I said to bring it to Todd at the Country Gentleman. He will not only do the work but give you the total gun fitting at the same time for the same price (cutting some wood off the bottom of the comb cut out should fix that problem) and you will still be money ahead. While Tron indeed does nice work he can't fit a gun to you if your not there, and then there's the 3 generations of work that Todd and his family comes from. Its hard to beat over 40-50 years experence behind you in stock work. Add on's like combs and pads, to total custom maded and shaped. That is what I would do, You explained what "you" would do. Both will help Mike make up his mind what "HE" will do. Break-em all. Jeff

15. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Jeff -

You asked why I made the recommedations I did, saying you found it confusing. I told you why, noting that the same information was already in my earlier post.

Now you seem to have dropped the "confusing" characterization and claim that what I said is just an opinion.

You seem to have still missed the point, so let me state it once again. Some of the earlier posts assumed the shape of the two stocks are the same, and that the only difference between the two stocks is the comb adjustment hardware. The two stocks are different. One is pointy, one is rounded. That is not a matter of opinion.

I also noted that "The v-shaped comb tended to dig into my cheek much more than the u-shaped comb, and I found it fairly uncomfortable, once the comb was raised." That is also not a matter of opinion - it's what I experienced.

As to Tron vs. County Gentleman, etc., that IS a matter of opinion. I have none on that subject. All I have is my experience with the two stocks, which is what I tried to pass on.

Ted K.

16. Pull & Mark

Ted, What I missed on the first post was the difference in the rounded to the pointed stocks. I picked that up on the second. My point on both is that some people will like the stock you dislike and Visa Vera. That's all. Good Luck Mike and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.