1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about beads and ribs.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This question is for those that really dont believe in the bead or fig8 alignment. If Beads are not a big issue. What is the point of raised ribs. or add on ribs?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

To keep your head in a more upright position maybe? Just take the beads off, they are just there for decoration.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The purpose is to give the shooter the sight picture he likes and needs to shoot well. HMB

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I use them only to make sure I have the gun mounted the same each time.

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Theres beads on ribs???????. I used to worry about them but not any more,my scores did go up.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I use the beads to check to see if I have a proper mount. My eyes are focused on infinity when I call for the bird. I do not watch the beads when I shoot.

I shoot games at night and sometimes we get way back from the house. I shoot well when there is a light so I can make sure that the gun is mounted correctly. Even at long distance shooting from a dark location, I can hit targets as I know the feel of a proper gun mount but I still like to check the beads before I call for the bird.

I am amazed at the colorful fluorescent beads and bars in orange and green that some shooters use. I have never used them but I see some really good turkey shooters use them.

Ed Ward

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I bought a Beretta comb some years back. The combo had a twist it had 3 barrels

1 A 34" Unsingle

2 A 34" Top single

3 A 32" Over and Under barrels

A man that I new asked if could look at the gun(it had the Unsingle on at the time)this man mounted the gun and said I couldn't shoot that it has to much gap between the beads. I ask what the gap had to do with shooting it? He said it shoots to high for me. He had never even shot the gun and had determined by the space between the beads that it shot high.

The funny part of this whole story is if you took all 3 barrels and laid them on the table with the ends of the barrel lined up evenly none of the center beads were in the same place. The top single's center bead was about a half of an inch farther away from the front bead than the O/U. The Unsingle's center bead was about three quarters of an inch farther away.

Now using his theory the gun would shoot in three different places depending on what barrel was on the gun. I am here to tell you that was not the case.

Now I think that this only proves that the figure 8 teaching is a myth from a time when all guns were manufactured to shoot basically in the same place.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.