1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about bead thread size?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Skibik, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skibik

Skibik TS Member

I have a Browning XT that I have broken the front sight off of. I have drilled out the broken off shank and it looks like I need to re-tap it to the next size. Can someone tell me what the current size is and what would be the next size I would have to tap the threads to?

Thanks,
    Dean.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

6/48 is a lot bigger than 3/56. You might consider using JB Weld or something like that to fill the hole, then drilling and tapping it back to 3/56. I had to go to a machine shop supply and special order a 3/56 bottoming tap. Those sizes aren't laying around on the shelf at Home Depot.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Degrease the existing hole with some alcohol and a cue tip. Mix up some Devcon plastic steel epoxy put some in the hole. Coat the threads with a little of the epoxy and place in the hole in the rib. Line up the sight and let it set up over night. You can coat the bottom of the sight and the threads with a thin coat of paste wax which acts as a release agent and then you will be able to unscrew the sight after the epoxy hardens. I would just glue it in and forget about it. HMB

4. Skibik

Skibik TS Member

Thanks for the info. After searching the internet while on break at work today I happened to come across the size. I placed an order for a new one through Browning. The threads don't look all that bad and if it seems loose I will just glue it in with JB weld. If all else fails I know it doesn't take much to break them off. Midway USA has m2.5-.5 and m3.0-.5 sizes available which from what I can tell is in between 3-56 and 6-48. I believe they sell taps for this size also. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.