1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Auto Drive on PW reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by freeheel, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

When reloading with a PW you set the hull in while the table is in the up position from my understanding and then the table lowers, picks up the hull and resizes it. If you switch to a hydraulic auto drive unit isn't there some inherent danger of getting your hand smashed in a moving machine? Or, does it stop at top dead center, giving you time to set that hull in place and then you have to start it again?

I've watched a video of the MEC auto drive system and it has two switches on the unit that must be activated for the reloader to function, thus keeping your fingers in one piece so you can shoot the next day.

Thanks.

2. citadel

citadel Active Member

The very best answer is to do one of two things or maybe both of them. First get the foot control and use it as a hand control. It is much more time sensitive and quicker tom hut the machine down in the event of a problem . It acts as a "deadman control" thatbis if your hand comes off the entire process stops. You need that control or you will crush shells and maybe fingers when something goes wrong and it always does from time to time. The machine does not stop to save your fingers if you just run it in the on position

The second thing is to invest about 350 bucks and get an automatic shell feeder. They are wonderful once you get the bugs worked out. With the shell feeder your right hand never gets close to the machine, it just holds down the foot controller (now being used as a hand control).

I also wonder why you are messing with a hydro unit. The PW electric units are great, no oil, no mess and no noise. I tried both and sold the hydro immediately as it was just too much going on and find the electric much simpler.

I loaded just over 1,000 rounds in just over two hours this morning with the auto feeder and electric drive. A few mechanicals along the way but after a while you can nearly run the thing by the way it sounds. I also suggest that you get none of Whiz Whites vibrators for the primer feed. That is a great tool.

Doug

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a P/W 800 Plus with the P/W Auto-Drive. I have the joystick control mounted on the right side of the loader. You push the joystick forward (away from you) to raise the platen (like pulling the handle down). You release the joystick when the platen is at the top. The Auto-Drive has an electronic brake so it stops instantly when you let the joystick come back to the center position. The joystick is spring loaded to the center (stop) position. It is not critical that you stop exactly at the top position of the platen.

When the platen is at the top you release the joystick and remove your right hand from the control. You place a hull on the insertion post with your right hand. Using the same (right) hand to insert a hull and operate the Auto-Drive keeps you from crushing your hand when you insert a empty hull. You return your right hand to the joystick and push the joystick forward to continue the process moving the platen back down. You always push the joystick forward to operate the loader. The Auto-Drive always rotates in one direction and the loader automatically reverses direction at the top and the bottom. When you pull back on the joystick the loader will reverse and back up. Reverse is only used to correct a problem (jamb).

When the platen comes back down to the bottom you release the joystick to stop the loader. The “click” from the indexing mechanism on the 800 Plus tells you when to release the joystick at the bottom. You then insert a wad into the wad guide with your left hand. Your left hand is not in danger when inserting the wad into the wad guide. You then push the joystick forward to continue loading.

You use your right hand to control the joystick and insert empty hulls into the loader. You use your left hand to set wads on the wad guide. The only time your left hand comes near the loader is to set a wad on the wad guide. You stop the loader at the top and at the bottom. I believe this is much safer than the foot control.

I prefer the joystick control because it is more precise at controlling the loader. I load a lot of .410’s and I can stop the loader for a folded wad petal, back the loader up a very slight amount, straighten the wad petal, and continue forward. To do this with the foot control you must release the foot control, change a switch on the control box, press the foot control to back up, change the switch on the control box, and press the foot control to resume forward motion. My hand is much better at making precise movements than my foot.

You always move the joystick in the same direction to load. The Auto-Drive always rotates in one direction. The loader automatically reverses direction at the top and bottom. You control the motion and you must stop the loader at the top and bottom. It is very easy to do. If you encounter a problem just let go of the joystick and the loader will stop immediately.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_030320.jpg

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I started with the joy stick and had Whiz send the parts to convert to the foot pedal. I can load faster with the foot pedal and do not feel there is any safety issue.

As soon as you release the foot pedal the unit stops.

Don Verna

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I just went to this method 800+/with electric drive and shell feeder because of Arthritis. Once you get the rhythm and the bugs worked out, this system is fast, and easy. And I don't see how one could get their hand in the machine during the cycle. If you mount the controller to the right and insert a shell with your right hand, the hand is no where close to the controller during insertion of the shell. I haven't got the shell feed working correctly as yet. It does take some tinkering to get all three devices working together in unison. There are lots of things happening at the same time. If your not mechanically inclined, and don't like tinkering with a machine(s) it may be to complected.

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

7. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

@ Creek,

I'm sure that it's easy to want to put your hand in there. With manual operation, you find a shell not quite lined up with the wad or the resizer and you pause the lever with your right hand and reach your left hand in to fix the misalignment and keep going. In most cases your right hand on the manual lever isn't going to crush your left hand while it's reaching in. If I upgrade my 366 and go to a PW auto drive, I'll need to work through it with manual operation for a while before hooking up the auto. I pretty much know every quirk on the 366 and most of them are caused by the operator.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.