1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About AR15

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Alot of brands of AR's out there,..just wondering as I'm not that up on them where the Pre-Remington Bushmaster comes in rated on the quality scale againsst other standard production guns...by that I mean true non custom builder guns..no Les Baers, Novieske or other guns that are even semi custom...just comparing to production line mass produced rifles like the Rugers DPMS etc..just wondering

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Pretty darn high IMHO. I have had two and both were first rate, as are Rock River ARs. Not a DPMS fan but their barrels might have improved.

3. kenf

kenf Active Member

The Windham Weaponry line is produced by the pre-Rem Bushmaster guys. Very good quality.

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Calvin, Ruger DPMS? I understood Remington Group had bought DPMS.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you want to study the issue of quality in depth, the above link will explain everything you want to know.

Since you specifically asked, Bushmaster and Rock River Arms are about middle of the road, but understand that is not a bad position. Going up from this point you need to look at more expensive guns like Colt or go to the limited production or low volume builders.

One of my most accurate AR15s is a Remington R15 carbine, which is actually made for them by Bushmaster. This is my main hunting AR15s. I use it for coyote hunting, and practice on varmints.

Bushmaster DCM target rifles are very popular for competition. Especially the stainless steel barrel model.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have a friend that has a Remington varmint rife in this configuration and it is a tack driver.

7. claybrdr

I don't put them in the same category as my J.P. Enterprises JP15, or my White Oak Armament Varmint for that matter. That said, they are pretty darn good for the money.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sorry RickN..forgot my comma between them

9. JH

JH Well-Known Member

In terms of quality, reputation, RE-SALE and performance...save a few more bucks and buy the PONY (Colt): Any of the 6920s

Windham is pretty decent for a lower priced gun....but, you could also buy a Smith and Wesson for about the same money.....

Go to www.ar15.com and READ UP!

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bangalore hits the nail on the head. If you want the highest resale value, get a Colt. But you'll also pay a much higher price for it, too.

11. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

The Winham Guns are great guns as were the Bushmasters before the takeover and rhings then got loose, I like the ponies the Best but thats just me ! Also Sig puts out a very nice gun in both 556 and 762 both shoot well with no malfuctions for me !

12. oz

oz Active Member

most AR15's are built to (mil spec) and are all good. some are built better than (mil spec) and cost a lot more and are usually better. I have stag & doublestar.

13. oz

oz Active Member

You complainer guys must be having the big one because I didn't advise calvinmd to check out AR15.com.... sorry. oz

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

I am very fond of my Sig. It does everything I need very well.

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

My Colt 6920, out of the box, is the best I have shot. It is my 3 rd. AR.

16. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

I have pre and post Rem Bushmaters. Have no issues witheither. If I had my choice & more cash I'd probably buy a Colt but as someone else mentioned most are milspec and will be decent shooters. Have bought a Double Star upper. Some of small parts finnish were not up what I've been use to but the damn thing shoots 3/16" groups with handloads.

RE: DPMS I have the Rem R25 308. It's a DPMS LR308 that Rem stamped it's name on and camo finnised. There's no shortage of quality in the gun whatsoever. Added a muzzle break to it and a 2 stage trigger and it's a very nice shooter. Have only put ball through it so far but it still puts together 1.25" groups. DMPS are generally good shooters. The knock on them is they don't chrome line their barrels. So what. No one that I know is putting 30,000 rounds down the tube were its going to make a difference. Non-chromed in theory shoot better anyway.

17. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

I have pre and post Rem Bushmaters. Have no issues witheither. If I had my choice & more cash I'd probably buy a Colt but as someone else mentioned most are milspec and will be decent shooters. Have bought a Double Star upper. Some of small parts finnish were not up what I've been use to but the damn thing shoots 3/16" groups with handloads.

RE: DPMS I have the Rem R25 308. It's a DPMS LR308 that Rem stamped it's name on and camo finnised. There's no shortage of quality in the gun whatsoever. Added a muzzle break to it and a 2 stage trigger and it's a very nice shooter. Have only put ball through it so far but it still puts together 1.25" groups. DMPS are generally good shooters. The knock on them is they don't chrome line their barrels. So what. No one that I know is putting 30,000 rounds down the tube were its going to make a difference. Non-chromed in theory shoot better anyway.

18. claybrdr

Colts suck because they are limited to big pin uppers unlike all the other brands. At one time or another I have had 5 different caliber uppers on the same lower receiver. Try that with a Colt! They may have the best resale value NOW because the present hysteria has lead to people buying them that don't know jack about their limitations and overall quality. They recognize the name "Colt" and that's all they care about. They generally shoot like crap compared to the better brands and custom guns.

Most AR fans that know what's what shun them.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If you compare which rifles meet mil-spec's, Colt meets them
    100%. The next closet to meeting all is Smith & Wesson. This is
    published information.

20. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Speaking from a duty stand point the former NJ State Range officer would stand by Colts for dependability reasons (note: Nam Vet and H&K Instuctor). Not always the cloverleaf guns but they did go bang when you pulled the trigger. He bashed Bushmasters which I didn't agree with until what he said would happen did; the gas pick tubes shot loose after time. It was a staking issue. Ours (7) have all been treated with Permatex red thread lock and restaked. Its a small issue on the range and a BIG issue for a duty weapon.

We can talk all day about one brand or the other but all major brands are decent and serviceable and not everyone has a pile of money to buy the high end stuff and it isn't warranted unless your competing and thowing several thousand rounds down the barrel a year. THE BEST ADVISE: BUY THE BEST THAT YOU CAN AFFORD AND WHAT YOU LIKE. Its not like you can't morf a AR15 into anything yuo desire unless its a pesky large pinned lower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.