1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about altering my 870 Wingmaster

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RickA, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Member

Ok I hope this comes off at least mildly intelligent
    I currently own a Benelli Nova and as best as I can tell it fits me very well. I have taken a liking to shooting trap and skeet and although my trap scores are very respectable (20-22 out of 25) I think I can do better.
    Now the interesting part. I also own an older 870 Wingmaster that has a fixed full choke barrel on it and I bought an express parkerized barrel with interchangable chokes to be able to use this gun for hunting etc... The problem is I feel all bunched up when I shoot the Wingmaster anyone have any experience reworking a gun like this for a better fit to be used for trap and skeet. Any foreseeable problems with the barrel change, things to look for etc.......... I really don't want to spend the $$$$$ to by an over/under if I can put some quality time and less $$$$ into the Wingmaster especially since its 42 yrs old and looks to go about 85%+ and has some sentimental value. (It belonged to my dad and I really love the old thing but its to nice for shooting ducks in the sloughs I think the lighter weight of this gun may help me pick up the extra birds I'm missing (or not don't know till I try )
    Your thoughts are appreciated
    Thanks
    Rick

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

the 870 will shoot a lot of shells through it

you might want to look at one someone else has already played with though and this might be a cheaper option

or buy parts and pieces from individuals -- and put it together yourself

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

When you say you feel bunched up, I assume you mean the stock is too short. This is the easiest stock dimension to experiment with. Just take your butt plate or recoil pad off and trace out its outline on some material like rubber or wood, cut it out and make spacers of different thickness. Get longer screws for the recoil pad. Once you figure out what thickness you need, you can get a more professional job done on your spacer.

4. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

I am familiar with your feeling of being bunched up. Part of the cause of that is due to the sloped off stock. When you put your head down to get your cheek on the wood your head also moves forward. Even with my nearly complete lack of a neck that pushed my cheek forward until I was bumping up against my thumb.

The cure for this is a monte carlo type stock. I shot an 870 with a shorter stock once that was set up with the high comb and I think it is probably the most comfortable gun I have ever shot.

As also said, you can lengthen the stock fairly easily also. The best thing you can do for yourself is to throw away the factory brick that imitates a recoil pad and get a kick-eez for it.

--Scott

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

(It belonged to my dad and I really love the old thing but its to nice for shooting ducks in the sloughs I think the lighter weight of this gun may help me pick up the extra birds I'm missing (or not don't know till I try ) Your thoughts are appreciated Thanks Rick"

Rick, no matter what kind of gun you use to shoot trap with, nothing is better than a stock that fits. As for doing better with a light gun? I doubt it in the long run because recoil will overhaul you in short order, especially with a light ill fitting shotgun. I detect a case of "arm swinging" the gun making you think you'd prefer a lighter gun? Basics say you and the gun become one when attacking a moving target with a shotgun?

Get a stock that fits you and add some weight to your gun and you're good to go, following the shotgunning basics principals will help also. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.