1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about a Remington 870 Wingmaster

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trackerdan, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

Hello, I have an older Remington 870 Wingmaster.

I was shooting some reloads the other day when a shell became jammed in the chamber. After waiting awhile I removed the barrel from the gun and removed the offending shell.

What happened next is where my concern lies. I pushed the slide/bolt release lever and cycled the action. This was done without the barrel attached. I wanted to observe the mechanism and look for anything that might be amiss. Well the whole slide and bolt mechanism came flying off in my hand with the bolt and slide carrier flipping into the yard.

My question is, is the gun defective? I had planned on using it this fall for the upland game shoot. The reason I ask this question is because my son has an approximate same vintage 870 and it does not want to come apart like that when attempting to reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

Dan

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The barrel lug and magazine cap is what stops this from happening all the time. Just put it all back together and now you know how to tear it apart for a proper cleaning.

ec90t

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Slide release lever?

I'm confused

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

ec90t ... only with a defective gun does the magazine cap and or barell lug keep it all together. To release and get the bolt and action bar/forende assembly off the gun you need to depress the shell catch inside the receiver.

I wonder if that is what he depressed and is calling that the slide release lever?

Maybe it might also help to read the manual sir ...

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_870.pdf

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Lumper,

You're an idiot!!!!!

ec90t

6. 333t

333t Member

Dan:

The forend and action bar tube should not come off as you describe. There are two shell latches (left and right) inside the receiver that hold the action bars in place and need to be depressed to allow removal of the forend assembly. If you had another round in the magazine when this happened the shell may have released these latches.

Also, if the gun is a single shot 870 Competition Trap model it has no magazine and therefore no shell latches and would come apart as you describe.

Phil

7. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

First of all thanks to those with helpful polite answers. After getting a blown up schematic from numrich(E-gun parts)I was able to identify the two shell latches left and right they are $15+ dollars a piece! I don't know if these are user serviceable items. But that does appear to be where the issue lies, and as I experimented a little more today it is an intermittent issue. I plan on giving some more study to the shell latches to see if one is more "worn" than the other. Anyone know if these need to be fitted by a gunsmith?

Other than that is the gun safely usable in it's present condition fully assembled?

Thanks,

Dan

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Is a car safe to operate with an intermittent brake or transmission problem?

Get the gun to a gunsmith and have him fix it and be done with it. You never know what you might screw up doing it yourself.

9. 333t

333t Member

Dan:

If the shell latches need replacing (a rare occurance) a gunsmith should do this as they are staked into position and this requires special tools to do it right.

The gun should be safe to fire as is since the shell latches have nothing to do with the lockup of the action. As I mentioned earlier, the 870 Comp. Trap is designed without shell latches.

You might also check the action bars for wear. If you have access to another 870 try switching the forend/action bars and see if that solves the problem. The action bars are locked into the receiver by the shell latches so either could be worn or broken.

Phil

10. ole 31

ole 31 TS Member

just send it to me i'll shoot it like it is for the next 20 years or so

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does wingmaster model 870 blow up

jammed 870 wingmaster

remington 870 magazine not releasing shell