1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about a Mossburg 146 B

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadeye45, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

I have the opportunity to purchase this gun for the grand total of $100.
    I'm wondering if anyone would know about the gun and it's basic quality? The 'Blue Book' says circa 1950, 'Adjustable trigger' (what ever that means in Mossburg speak). The lands and barrel are pristine. A serial number is not visable, which I was told "common for Mossburg in those days". It does have a 3/4" weaver mounted on the factory grooved receiver the mounts say 'tip off', but does not move. I suspect the scope to be the same vintage and you can barley see thru it. It obvoiusly is not so many dollars, but when I am through putting a decent scope on it and adjusting the trigger, will I have some thing that will shoot??
    thanks

2. turmite

turmite Member

deadeye if the 146 is the gun I am thinking about, it is a little shooter. I have owned three mossbergs and all have been tack driver. Does the gun also have a flip rear site that is either a v notch or peep? I used to sit on the back porch of my brother's house, using the rail for a rest and with those peeps at about 15 yrds, would shoot the body of grand daddy long legs and leave nothing but wiggling legs. I don't know if it has much value as a collector, but it would have a great deal value as a vintage shooter.

Mike

3. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

mike,
    The front site is there, two or three flip up front plates with varing size holes in them. Unfortunaltely the back site removed and no longer there. I suppose to accomdate the scope mounts/scope. This model also has a tubular magazine which works and feeds great. Can the 'adjustable trigger' be adjusted to a tolerable working condition?
    thanks,

4. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Check out the Rimfire Central site above. I searched the 146B there and found 6 pages on that rifle. Hope this helps.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I still have mine that I bought 59 years ago!

It has a cheap .22 scope mounted in the grooves and will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards (with good ammo)!

$100??? Grab it!

6. WWB

WWB Member

Where can one buy or see if available, parts for a 146B? I have one that has the flip over rear sight but the middle sight that holds some type of spring device to raise the point of impact-or lower it-- is missing. Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas to all

7. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Mossbereg Collectors Society St. Louis,MO will have any and all parts you need. I cannot locate the phone number currently. Mossberg provided the phone number a few years ago when I called looking for a part for a old family rifle.

8. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

http://www.havlinsales.com/

9. Beni

Beni Member

It will be a shooter, I have 2, one is a standard bolt the other is a t bolt,one of their great guns. beni

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

deadeye45:

Your Mossberg was almost certainly manufactured before SN's were mandatory.
    Someone around here can provide a better answer but I think serial numbers became mandatory under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Note to anyone... Didn't Mossberg make a version of the 146 that was an old (maybe WWII era?) military training rifle?

sissy

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I wanted one as a kid but of course couldnt afford it- Nice rifle- long history- hard to wear out- grab it

AHAB- 1/2 groups at 100 yards? Have you ever shot a group in your life and measured it?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. WWB

WWB Member

Thank you Paul In Mn and HDLLLIII for your help in locating Mossberg .22 parts.
    I'll get on them right after the holidays. Paul-we are colder in Colo than you are in Mn. I'm originally from Mankato!! Good place to be from.
    Willie

13. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Rotten luck,
    In the site listed above in dblsshtr thread, this gentle man has a picture of his collection, maybe 10 Mossburgs, all 22's, various configurations.He said he collected in 6 or 8 months. You will likely see the 'middle sight' you speak of should you not know what it looks like.
    I purchased the gun and will try to find the mounts, 1" and a decent 3 to 9.
    Thanks to all,
    Merry Christmas
    Deadeye45

14. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

Glad to help Willie. I needed some parts for my 144 LSB and found them at Havlin's

We absolutely love Colorado! Friends from here moved to a west Denver suburb. We stopped for an afternoon visit on the way home from somewhere and ended up spending our next 3 summer vacations with them.

We were there in the summer but our friends said snow was not plowed, it just melted in 2-3 days. Cold weather in Feb might be in the 20's, for a week to 10 days.

Dated a girl from Mankato in the early 70's; long drive for me. I farm in the southern part of the Red River Valley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.