1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about 870 barrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I personally dont believe Remington ever built a better barrel than the comp

2. Jimmy E

Jimmy E TS Member

Shotgun Sports now list a Hastings Trap Barrel for the 870.
    Jimmy

3. cubancigar2000

I did not know they were making a Hasting for the 870, that would be a fine choice

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Mostly for my tests I use a Bowen, or a variety of Perazzis, but when I wanted to find out what would happen to a barrel when the forcing cone was lengthened I took a step-rib 870 off a pile and tested it, sent it out for work, and tested it again. I chose it because of all the complaints I've read here about the sharp angles of 870 cones and I must say they look pretty steep.

It was the best of all those I tested before it was worked on, still the best later, which was no surprise since nothing much happened.

I've got one comp which must be amazingly tight; I hope to live long enough to seriously test it - but there's a long, long line to get through before then and I'm not getting any younger.

Neil

5. cubancigar2000

Neil you will live a long time yet. Lot's of shootin left in ya

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Nick, I don't know how the 870 Competition barrels patterned but I have two step rib 870 trap barrels, one with rem-chokes and one fixed with .040 constriction. They are both overbored barrels from Remington. The Rem-choke barrel is .7435 nominal bore and the fixed choke barrel is .745 nominal bore. They both pattern very well.

You might look into whether the competition barrels were overbored and inquire if that may have had an effect on the pattern. I think that Remington's overboring had a positive effect on the patterns my barrels throw.

John Ertel

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jimmy E,

Where did you see the 870 trap barrel listed? I only found the high-rib 1100 barrel.

ec90t

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

870 Comp barrels are overbored with - as I remember - bores of about 0.740 and chokes between 35 and 40 thousandths.

When I was doing my shot-chronography testing with a bunch of guns and two Oehler 35P's I would shoot a bit downhill and the shot would hit 30 yards away or so in the dirt. Everything looked about the same except one of the two 870 comps which tore a noticeably narrower path and kicked up much more dirt. That's the one I want to test - it must be an exceptionally tight shooter.

Neil

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

You're welcome Nick

I'm not sure, but I think most of the choke tube stepped rib 870 TC model barrels were overbored. I am not sure how the fixed choke model I have came to be, if it was factory or some aftermarket work. I believe it to be factory because all of the stepped rib barrels that I have come acrossed feel heavier than a standard trap barrel. It is my belief that Remington took their 3 inch magnum barrels, chambered them for 2 and 3/4 and bored them out and put the stepped ribs on them. If you get an opportunity, feel the weight difference between a standard 30" trap barrel and a stepped rib barrel, the stepped ribs seem beefier like the magnum barrels.

The fixed choke barrel that I have came on a TC that I bought on TS.com and it shoots pretty tight. Its great with 1 and 1/8 ounce nin-e-mites (as I refer to them (fast nines)) in bushwackers from behind the trap house. I still need to try it at some of the local still board shoots this winter, since I just acquired it this spring. However, I bought and use a .685 comp-n-choke turkey choke in the rem-choke barrel that I have and its not bad at still board, but its hard to beat fixed chokes for consistency.

I would probably consider selling my fixed choke barrel, but it would take a lot to get it away from me. lol If you keep your eyes open at gun shows or here on TS.com you will probably find one half way reasonable.

I have also heard of people plugging the gas holes or what ever is on the comp barrels, and using them on regular guns. If the Comps were shedding some of the gases through the barrel to the "recoil piston gizzmo" in the magazine tube, I reckon the reduction of the gases prior to exiting the muzzle would add to a better pattern. You may still want the competition model, but I've heard the receivers are prone to cracking.

Good luck with whatever you decide, John Ertel

10. ouch

ouch Member

John, Your info sounds accurate. What would it really take to get that fixed choke 870 barrel from you? Thanks, Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.