1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question 870 Competition

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lips, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lips

lips TS Member

I have had two of these about 20 yrs ago and sold them. Now I just bought another one and I'm wondering if anyone knows what lenght the mag spring should be in a relaxed state.

The gun shoots great but seems to have more recoil than I remember. I can feel and hear the reducer in the tube moving, but wonder if I need to repalce the spring or stretch it out.

Has anyone tuned the recoil mechanism in their 870 Comp?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Rick

2. 333t

333t Member

It wouldn't hurt anything to stretch out the spring a little but I doubt this would have much effect on felt recoil. I would check the o-ring on the gas lug (replace if it looks worn) and make sure the interior of the gas lug is clean and free of built up carbon. Also check the seal and buffer on the piston rod and make sure the rod is clean so these parts slide smoothly without binding. Increased recoil on an 870 Comp. usually means something in the mechanism is dirty.

Phil

3. lips

lips TS Member

Thanks Phil

4. lips

lips TS Member

###

5. 333t

333t Member

Rick:

Forgot to mention that the gas ports should also be checked out and reamed a little if dirty. This can cause excessive recoil as well.

Phil

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

and I replaced the old, hard Pachmyr pad on mine with a nice thick KickEez...works great.

7. lips

lips TS Member

bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.