1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: 410 shotgun with centerfire ammo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JRD, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRD

JRD TS Member

You can fire .45 Long Colt out of some 410 firearms. My brother has TC Encore in 410/45LC. Try shooting around of trap with a 410 pistol.

2. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

You can buy some hadguns, such as T/C Contenders and some Derringers that will fire 45 Colt ammo as well as .410 shells.

BUT, AND THIS IS A BIG BUT, THEY WERE DESIGNED TO BE USED WITH BOTH AMMO'S. YOU WILL CREATE A GREAT SAFETY HAZARD, IF YOU TRY TO SHOOT 45 COLT AMMO OUT OF A .410 SHOTGUN. THERE IS A CHOKE AT THE END OF THE BARREL AND YOU COULD/WOULD BLOW UP THE GUN.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

This reminds me of the WinMag post a few months ago.
    Don

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

The Thompson Center guns are sized for the 45. Using the smaller 410 does not cause a problem. A 410 shotgun is sized for the 410 not the 45.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Awwwwwwwwwww Geeese! You guys are no fun!

We could have had pics of a blown up .410 shotgun and endless post about why it blew up...reloads, primers, powder and everything but wrong ammo.

6. winmag

winmag TS Member

WHY IS IT WHEN I ASKED IF ANYONE SHOOTS 44 MAGGNUM OUT OF A 410 I GET FLAMED BUT THIS SCTP DAD COMES ON HERE AND YOU ALL DOTE ALL OVER HIS DUMB QUESTIONS.

IT IS NOT FARE.

BILLY.

7. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I have shot trap with my Thunder Five pistol. Now that is a blast. I did manage to break 2 out of the five rounds it held . 3" .410.

This would make one hell of a airplane defense gun.

Rock

Jim

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I saw a dumbass shoot a 44 magnum out of a Marble's Game Getter .410.

Put a nasty bulge in the barrel, ruined the gun.

45 colt and the like still have way more pressure than a .410.

So don't do it.

HM

9. SCTPdad

SCTPdad TS Member

Winmag/Billy;

You should have read my initial post....if at some point in the past you asked a question on a thread and got "flamed", then that was a problem for you and you alone. I didn't ask a question at all....dumb or otherwise. I just asked for some comments based upon opinions I already said I had on my friends 410/44 special question.

To all others, thank you for your responses.....

10. winmag

winmag TS Member

YOU SAY YOU DIDT ASK A QUESTION BUT IT STARTED OUT WITH "Quesion: 410 shotgun with centerfire ammo"" WHAT AM I MISSING HERE. YOU IN DEED ASKED A QUESTION THEN ACTED LIKE YOU DID NOT. YOU DO NOT GET THE BIG FLAME TREETMENT BUT I DO. THAT IS NOT FARE.

YOU ASKED A DUMB QUESTION AND YOU NOW IT.

BILLY.

11. SCTPdad

SCTPdad TS Member

Billy,
    Even though there was a question mark "?" in the title of my post, as you can hopefully see from the entire posting that I copied for you below, I asked no question at all. What I did was state that I thought it was unsafe to fire a centerfire cartridge in a 410, then asked for follow up suggestions or comments from this forum. Why is this thread so hard for you to understand and why have I had to explain it to you twice now?

"A friend of mine asked me if there was a way to safely fire centerfire cartridges such as Cowboy light loads in 44 special (or something similar), in an unmodified 410 bore shotgun. I think it would be unsafe due to the differences in the thickness of the chamber/barrel and the differences in pressures generated by the centerfire cartridge."

Anyone out there have any different suggestions?"

SCTPdad

....See what I'm talking about now that you've had a chance to read the posting again?

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

If you have a .45 Colt that is advertised as being able to also fire .410 shotshells, have at it. The handgun barrels are made for much higher pressures than the shotgun. Shotguns max out about 14000 lbs. per sq. in. pistols max out at more like 40000, depending on the caliber. Some of the new MAX calibers have the pressure limits as high as 60000 psi. Have fun; save the pieces.

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

SCTP Dad, Don't pay any attention to WINMAG. He's just a self centered, Egotistical blowhard. He trolls this site from time to time trying to stir up hate and discontent. He probably shoots one of those recycled beer can spagetti guns.

Jim

14. winmag

winmag TS Member

your thread starts off with the word question and even ends with a question mark and you deny ever asking any questions in fear of being flamed like i was. i have read the post over and over and over and you are wrong. you asked a dumb question about a 410 just like i did but you dont get flame treetment.

not fare.

BILLY.

15. SCTPdad

SCTPdad TS Member

Winmag;
    Maybe I didn't get flamed because everyone else in TS.com but you understood this thread...and I have better grammer!

SCTPdad

16. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I think all you all missed the point of the question. The poster asked about shooting center fire ammo in a shotgun!!! this is unsafe, do not do it, you will regret it, listen to me, I am much smarter than your buddy is.

17. winmag

winmag TS Member

THANK YOU HAVEGUN. HE IS DOING SOME THING THAT HE SHOULD NOT BE DOING. THIS IS NOT SATETY. PLEASE FLAME HIM LIKE YALL DID ME. IF ANY ONE DISURVES IT THIS MAN HAS EARNED A ROYAL FLAME JOB. HE LAUGHED AT ME. THATS NOT FARE.

billy.

18. SCTPdad

SCTPdad TS Member

You are right HaveGunWillTravel: I know it is dangerous, that's what I told the guy who asked me about the possibility, (as listed in my first posting), but beleive me, I regret even asking for responses on TS.com....I had no idea that there were soooooo many people who use this forum to lash out. Asking for comments is fraught with danger it seems.

WINMAG;
    Your best reply to this thread should have been..."You were right to advise your friend to NOT shoot centerfire ammo in a 410...I too have been told that it is very dangerous to do so"....see, that wasn't too hard, was it? Doesn't that beat whining about things?

SCTPdad

19. 2horser

2horser TS Member

Ummm, Billy/winmag/whoever/whatever you are,
    try looking up the definations of "fare" and "fair" in your friendly local dictionary and please get back to us with the results...
    Thanks and have a gigundously large day and evening too!!

20. winmag

winmag TS Member

LOTS OF TIMES PEOPLE WILL ASK QUESTIONS LIKE- I HAVE A FRIEND WITH A PROBLEM WHEN IN FACT THEY ARE THE ONES THAT HAVE THAT PROBLEM. FOR EXAMPLE, I COULD SAY- I HAVE A GOOD GOOD FRIEND THAT HAS A WART ON HIS ASS, WHAT SHOULD HE DO. WHEN IN FACT IT WOULD BE ME THAT WOULD HAVE A WART. I THINK SCTP DAD IS SHOOTING CENTERFIRE OUT OF A 410 AND THAT IS NOT SAFE. IT IS NOT HIS FRIEND IT IS HIM SELF. BUT THIS MAN DO NOT GET FLAMED. NOT FARE.

billy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.