1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: 140 mph car

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Qustion for "gearheads": I'd like to find the least expensive car that will go an honest 140 mph or better at sea level on a straight road. No, I'm not into drag racing or street racing, but want to try a little LSR racing if not cost prohibitive. Bucket list includes entering USFRA 130 mph "fun" class one year.

Used and safe is a preferance.

Thanks,

David

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Any of the mid 70's big block chevys with a nitrous kit in the trunk should do it. Keep the chassis smaller like camaro or firebird. Bill

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hell my 2004 4wd pickup truck will do it. That was after disabling the top speed shut down with my Superchips Programmer.

Uhhhh I mean so I've been told.

Get you a Mustang. Get a GT. I believe about any year will work. Can't believe I just told someone to buy a Ford. I was a long time Chevy man.

4. 548

548 Guest

You can go to any surplus government auction and buy a retired police car for about $3500. Big and heavy car but they will run 130mph easily. I drive one everyday.

5. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

The newer high power Mustangs. Guys buy them here in Germany because there is no better bang for the buck for speed, horsepower or modern safety. And the fact that they are pretty bulletproof and reliable.

We can drive as fast as we want on some parts of the Autobahn. More than 140mph for sure...

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Find yourself a Toyota Supra turbo of the 90's vintage it will do an honest 140 just either find one disengage the power steering, as the car oversteers at high speeds

7. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Just a word to save your life, you had better change the tires to a rated speed, If not you are betting yours on your tires. Normal tires are not rated for speed and they will blow.

How much fun can it be to go 140 in a rocking an rolling piece of junk that is not made to do that speed, hanging on for dear life hoping not to die. If you are going to do it buy something meant for it so you can live to talk about it, give yourself good odds at liveing. But then I remember doing almost that in a 60 chevy with everyone screaming out the windows and no seat belts. Ahhh the good old days.

Or better yet buy a Ducati then you can really feel it at 160.

04 ZR1 - 192 mph so far

Ducati S4RS - 160 buried speedo with a tail wind.

CM

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Try a 3.8 Hyundai Azera. Inexpensive and will actually do over 150. Has a built in road package and will really take the curves. I would tell you more but my wife may read this and i don't want her to know how I've been driving her car. LOL Jackie B.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Let me tell you about the car my son just bought.

It is a Kia Optima Turbo.

It is a 4 cylinder, that is rated to get 34mpg on the highway and 27mpg in city driving.

It will do 0-60 in 6.1 seconds and it's top end is 152 mph. And it is a 4 door passenger car that looks great.

And........I think you can get this speedster for around 30 grand. Maybe a little more or maybe a little less.

Check it out below.

optimaext01opt.jpg

I know it sure has me thinking about one.

Hauxfan!

10. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Shooting Jack : You should really worry about them tires!!!!

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

'84 or '84 Camaro HO is what you want! They had a slightly de-tuned race engine!

My wife had one.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Lots of modern day cars will do it - just a matter of how deep your pockets are. My old 96 Z28 will do 155 mph and I'm pretty sure the new Camaros are faster. The newer Mustangs are pretty nasty too.

I'm not a racer but isn't LSR straight line speed like at the salt flats?

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Claymuncher is right make sure the tires are rated for that speed, sure don't want them coming apart once you attain it

14. DeAdLy.90T

DeAdLy.90T Member

the 2012+ mustang GT's are nice, so are the 2010+ Camaro SS's. Although, if you want a bang for the buck performance car then you want a 01/02 camaro z28/ss or a trans am. Both were equipped with a 325hp ls1 small block with either a 4speed automatic or 6speed manual. They respond nicely to bolton performance parts such as, intakes, headers, exhaust systems, and can be had for around 10k in great shape. I currently have a 2002 1sc stripper z28. Picked it up back in 09' for 13k with 10,000mi. The car currently has full kooks headers & exhaust, slp lid, ported throttle body, shift kit, 3800 stall converter, 3.73 gears, alot of suspension mods, and 315/35/17 drag radial tire outback to keep it hooked up. It runs 0-60mph in under 4 seconds and turns the quarte mile right around 12 seconds flat @ 115mph. The car will easily do 160+mph but I dont care to go that fast, more so I like to get there fast! Not to mention it still rolls down the highway @ 26mpg.

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I remember Jim Drengson talking about an Eldorado that he was driving. Had a chip of some type on the Northstar engine. He said he could run 155 mph with it. If I were going to go that fast I'd like plenty of car around me.

16. kenf

kenf Active Member

Why not pick up a used Shelby GT500? Or, the new 2013 will run 200 on a track, so hitting 140 should be fairly easy and you won't be laboring it too much to go 140. The used ones can be had for in the 30's, but the new ones will set you back around 60.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Im not sure what LSR racing is but on road courses...the cheapest fast and safe fun car thats reliable and cheap to run is the Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVOs...I dont like foreign cars much but they can be had used fairly cheap (under 10-12K)..with chips and a few goodies they can reach the 160's and the all wheel drive makes them real stable in curvies..Mustangs are good too

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks so much for the suggestions; a very fast education. LSR racing is simply that on the Bonneville Salt flats. There is an entry level "club"/class run each year by the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association. If one has a safe car, read proper tires, belts, and driveshaft hoop, and helmet, one may run up to a tad over 130 and get into the club for "glory". To go faster, they mandate full tilt safety equipment including a comlplete roll cage. That is where the "big boys" class starts, the 150 mph club.

The 130 mph club is akin to having a 25 straight patch in trap; a bit of a feet getting wet adventure for those who wish to try, but don't have the funds for a dedicated "real" LSR race car.

Oops, maybe I shouldn't have let this cat out of the bag, the lines to run get bigger each year!

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Heck ,..for salt flats buy you a used C4 Corvette under 7k and with a chip it will do 150 and not rust out from the salt : )

20. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

This baby does it without even breathing hard... Shelby GT500
    bucko43_2008_010866.jpg

bucko43_2008_010867.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cars that go 140 mph