1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

QUES ON 391 "FLAT CARRIERS"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WWB, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

Recently purchased a Baretta 391. One of the additions to the gun noted was
    a "flat carrier" In comparing with a friends 391 I can see the difference, but what difference does this make? Or what does it help or eliminate or make easier or????
    Thanks for the help.
    Bill

2. Joe O

Joe O Member

QUES ON 391

The flat carriers caused problems with jamming. The fix was to replace the newer flat with the older style. Hard to believe, but I've seen it on several 391's now. The older style with the curve is the prefered one. Some folks get by fine with flat however.
    Joe O

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

QUES ON 391

Was this a used gun? Beretta has never acknowledged the problem and continues to sell guns with the straight carrier. Everyone I know has replaced the carrier with the old style 390 bent carrier.

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

QUES ON 391

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Many flat-carrier guns function flawlessly. I had one of each. Some do not and the best fix for those is the bent carrier.

Now....about those pistons. The first one I saw break was on the first box of shells through a new gun. Every 391 I owned, two 12's and a 20, blew up the piston. There were 2 different styles to replace them, and I never blew a replacement.

5. WWB

WWB Member

QUES ON 391

Thank you everyone..........isn't that funny, I do think that this gun had the flat carrier installed as it is listed with all the additional things done to the gun, like it was an advantage!! I've shot a couple boxes thru it from the 16 & the 27 and no difficulty--sure will hit 'em hard with those Briley chokes and 1 oz loads.......
    Bill
    [dang its raining again and I want to go shoot tomorrow!!]

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

QUES ON 391

check with tron on this site. he has a fixture to bend the flat one into the curved model. 40 bucks and works fine. motordoc

7. Dickgshot

QUES ON 391

I was at a big sporting clays tournament and for the fun of it I checked
    every 391 I saw -there were about 40, and no one had a flat carrier.
    Sometimes they don't go bad for a long time -mine was o.k. for about two years.

On the other hand, I've had my 391 for 6 years and it's still got the original piston. The "back-up" piston I bought is still in the box it came in.

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

QUES ON 391

I weas told the reason the flat carriers originated was for the 3" shells. And it is strange how a gun will work for thousands of rounds with one and then all of a sudden get messed up and need the bent one to function. Some never need the bent one but most replace them before a problem arrises.Just more proof that newer is not better from Beretta.

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

QUES ON 391

Shoot it till it screws up then have it bent. They are brittle I heated mine first and then bent it works fine.

10. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

QUES ON 391

All one has to do is take a thorough examination of the flat carrier and its contact points. Its pretty easy to see that overtime the thin, stamped flat carrier will begin to bend outwards.

When that edge bends out the shell from the magazine (or even those floating in the action) will jam on the lip of the barrel.

As mentioned above, its just a matter of time and it will bend OR rebend. I didn't believe it because my first 391 went 50,000 shells before it started to misfeed. I thought it was reloads etc, and finally broke down and looked at the carrier. Yep, it finally gave up the ghost. My backup 391 showed similar activity in about 7000 rounds.

I have rebent the original flat carriers, but in the end bought a 390 style bent carrier. I have yet to have a misfeed in many, many thousands of rounds with the new/old 390 style carrier. Geez that was close to an Abbott and Costello routine, but hopefully it made sense.

For someone who doesn't shoot much, heck it might not show in your shooting career. For those who shoot a lot, just get the 390 style bent carrier and be done with it.

Sounds bad, but its a great way to pick up a cheap "non-functioning" 391. Lots of guys don't want to fool with it, heck I've even explained it to a couple... they didn't want the hassle. Good time to make a deal.

11. WWB

WWB Member

QUES ON 391

Thank you everyone who responded--I guess that many respondents can't be all wrong. So--guess I will buy a bent carrier. Now--who knows the best, cheapest place to get one..............
    Bill

12. Dickgshot

QUES ON 391

There is no best, cheapest place. Only one place. Coles Gunsmithing. Order the carrier with the lever, spring etc. installed. About $70 with shipping.
    Keep you current carrier intact in case you want to sell your gun one day.

13. WWB

WWB Member

QUES ON 391

Dickgtax

Thank you---leaving this site to order......Happy Shooting All

Darn--raining here again........got 41/2 "+ so far --- & on this side it all heads for the old Mississippi and those folks have enough problems...
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.