1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

quality vs quantity?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dverna, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have a K-80 - but do not use it for home defense. My "mediocre" (or cheap) Mossberg 500 is the "right" gun for that purpose.

I have a couple of Clark Bullseye guns but carry less expensive guns for self defense that are better suited for that purpose.

I prefer a number of different rifles that fit my various needs - so no, one rifle would not work for me. It would limit my fun.

I believe in buying the best gun you can afford for your intended purpose. These guns typically hold their value well. If you can acquire good used guns (like pre-64 M70's, Kimbers, Parkers, Colt SAA, Pythons, K and P guns etc) they should continue to appreciate.

If you wish to buy "investment grade" guns, you need to do a lot of homework or be willing to risk some bad deals as you gain experience.

2. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    "What would you rather have? Fifty or so mediocre guns worth 30-40 k or 4 good guns worth the same amount."

Since I would only own firearms that I would use on a regular basis, I wouldn't need to spend anywhere close to $30 - $40K...

One Rifle - CZ 527 American in .223 Rem
    One Revolver - S&W 617 10-shot .22LR
    One Pistol - Glock 17 9mm
    One Shotgun - K-80 Krieghoff, 32" O/U with chokes

"--- In ten years which would be worth more?" - Don't care, since I own them for utilitarian value, not investment value - JoeBerg
  3. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Trick question! We all know it's impossible to limit yourself to just four guns. Let me give you an example.

You’re going to need;

410 or 28g for dove hunting.

A good field 12g for Duck and Quail

A good Single for singles and caps

A good O/U for doubles.

Occasionally you’ll be talked into shooting sporting or skeet by one of your sissy friends so it’s a good idea to have a nice 20g lying around.

Every guy needs a handgun to protect his home, so you better have 1 revolver one semi auto. Ya never know.

Then you need a good big game gun, say a 30-06 or 7mm mag for dear and elk.

Don’t forget the 223 for them dam coyotes, make sure it has a BIG scope.

Now there’s impressing you buddies on Monday Night Football or Poker Night at your place so you better have that AR15 w/halo sights of course. (also for pissing off liberals)

Then you have to think about plinking cans and such, so there is no getting out of having a good 10/22 handy.

Remember you never know when one of these necessities might malfunction and need service at a gunsmith, so I don’t think it’s possible to be without a backup in all categories.

Now lastly you need to double this inventory just in case your wife shoots or might want to shoot in the future, you don’t want her to think that you don’t want to do things together do you?

4 GUNS, IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!
  4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    As the late, great author Gene Hill once said, wisely:

"Beware the man with 23 trap guns."

Just think of all the situations you don't likely have gun for:

-do you have a gun that shoots 24 inches high for the days at Lordship when the wind is onshore and Force 5?

Just to mention the one Gene noted - and the only one I can remember...
  5. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sarge, I like your reply even though this is a silly thread.
  6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Nobody needs more than 30 quality guns
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.