1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

!Quality vs. $PRICE? proformance..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smoke the lineman, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smoke the lineman

Smoke the lineman TS Member

I've been looking at combo guns for some time now. Dont have a huge budget but could strech it if need be. For shooting trap does a Kolar ect. out proform say a SKB ect. Or does price equal better patterns and life of gun??? Just weighing out my options.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The guy with the SKB will tell you there is no difference . All the high dollar guns are top of the line for a reason . Remember they are all different so look at them all .

ALF

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Mostly it's about WOOD and not on the gun.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Oh... Bill Grill is a good friend of mine, but I chalenge the life and value of a SKB vs a Kolar, or Perazzi. And I give you odds you will find the better scores being shot by Kolar and Perazzi owners. I think I could answer that question another way by asking what has Bill Grill been shooting recently and what will he likely be shooting later this year when the snow goes away. I'm betting it will not be an SKB. And likely his and my decisions wil not be based on "Wood"

Oh, Bill. I musta been drinkin or tired when I wrote that. Good comment that I totally missed.

5. Mapper

Mapper Member

Price generally equals longer life and assurance it will work correctly. 870s will break as many birds as any other, but kick harder and need periodic attention in the trigger group. 20 bucks worth of parts in a plastic bag will cover that.
    Having said that, I will say that when I was active, I shot a Krieghoff or an Ithaca single, eventually.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While there is nothing wrong with a SKB..or Browning.. or a host of other guns..There is a HUGE difference in the quality,fit and finish of the action,barrel,and especially the trigger parts.. To save money they cast many of the lower price parts instead of machining them of top grade metal. You'll never get a MIM part ..especially trigger parts, to maintain the accuracy of steel parts.. What that means is.. they wear.. they chip.. and during the demise of the part.. the trigger gets more and more erratic.. Receivers will fragment like glass instead of swelling and containing pressure during a gross overload.. Barrels are just lazer sighted and not really shot and patterned.. Most all of your Hi-Grade guns are built to go many hundreds of thousands of rounds.. and then easily rebuilt.. Many of the lesser priced guns.. just can't go that long.. When money.. and budget come into the equasion.. I think you are far better off buying an older used.. Kreieghoff/Perazzi/Kolar/Beretta O/U.. then a new.. cheaper gun.. But that's just my opinion.. IMHO.. the Beretta 682 was one of the best value for money out there.. Often a nice clean O/U can be had for well under $2000.. A good old K-32 or Perazzi can be had in the $2500/$3000 price range in good shape...But you'll need to wait for the right one.. A very simple thing to do.. is pull the butt stock on any gun you are looking at.. and see how well made.. or lack off you are looking at.. Don't just look at the polished sides.. but the whole part.. As sited above.. a good Remington 870/1100 with a good trigger job can get you in the game for under $800..and if you get lucky at a pawn shop.. under $500.. and that will get you going.. Shoot the various guns out there.. Personally.. I would not buy anything over $1000 until I had at least 10,000 rounds under my belt.. I assure you.. by the time you hit 50,000 rounds.. You'll be on your 3rd gun..and probably closer to what fits YOUR style of shooting than whatever you start with. With all this said.. if you're not shooting doubles.. the old BT-99 is a time proven workhorse.. Then.. you must realize.. as soon as you shoot something well.. you'll trade it for something else.. I don't think 10% of the shooters here shoot any one gun for more than 100,000 rounds before they get a new one.. and many.. as little as 40,000 rounds..some even less than that.. Most important to ANYTHING you shoot is excellent stock fit..and a crisp.. clean trigger pull.. As of now..buy what you can.. shoot as much as you can..and learn.. As my coach told me one day.. next time you see a full size pickup truck.. look at the cargo bed.. When its full of empty hulls.. you're just starting to acquire a style..and a little bit of knowledge to go with it.. Enjoy.. most everyone in this sport will help you any way they can.. All Good.. Mike

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Seeing that Vern is on this thread..This is why I've asked for a PFS grip for a 870 pump.. A shooter like this.. I'd rather have him shoot a PFS on a 870 with a trigger job.. The PFS would follow him if he stayed in the game.. OR.. if he did not.. he could easily recoup most of his investment..Vern.. when you see Dr. Miller.. ask him about me.. with a PFS fitted to my 870 with a 34" Hastings barrel from the 27.. They all wondered why I was shooting my Seitz,Perazzi,or Cole.. LOL.. Some still think its the arrow..

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The picture in my above post is a PFS stock fitted to a Stevens 9478 used to teach a unbelieving shooter.. it's not the arrow.. That day cost him $100 bill..

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The best gun for the money.. especially for a new shooter is one that does NOT kick.. and fits perfectly.. That's why I speak so highly of the PFS stocks.. All Good.. Mike

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Get a gun that can be adjusted to fit you in whatever price range that is comfortable considering that you will spend many times the value of the gun to learn to shoot well.

Any adjustable gun will get you to AA and the 27 if you have the talent, money for lots of shells and targets and a good work ethic.

It is amazing how little advice you get about buying a more expensive gun when you consistently post good scores. I did have one guy suggest I trade my 32 inch 99 in on a Perazzi. I told him I suspected his was for sale because it obviously couldn't hit sh*t.lol

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Now that is funny

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Let me add my 2 cents. There is nothing wrong with an SKB, Browing, Remington 100 or 870, Stevens, etc. You get what you pay for. With a Perazzi, Krieghoff, Kolar, Seitz, Bowen, Infinity, etc. you have a great target breaking performance and a gun, warranty and service to back it up. The best gun for you is a gun that you shoot well and that doesn't kick (that means a gun that fits). I know PerazziBigBore (Mike) and Vern very well. I ditto everything that they said. I shot registered skeet for years. Ran my first 25 straight with a Browning. Then bought a Beretta 682. Then bought a Krieghoff. Shot my first 100 straight with Krieghoff. Does that mean that I wouldn't have done it with the Browning or Beretta. No, not at all. I had faith in that Krieghoff. Since I started shooting trap...I started with a BT99. I quickly sold it for a Perazzi. Why? Because I wanted a Perazzi. Then bought an Infinity (top of the line). Broke good scores with Infinity, but wasn't consistent. Traded it for a Kolar. Never did shoot Kolar well, and bought my old Perazzi back. Had Perazzi back for 2 months and went to Grand. Broke back to back 97's and got 2 1/2 yards at Grand. One month later broke back to back 100's @ singles. Why? I had faith in that old Perazzi. If you are already thinking about a high end gun....my advice is to save up and get it. If you are shooting a pump, and wishing you were shooting a Kolar....your scores will reflect it. But please remember...if you are breaking good scores with what you have and the gun fits and doesn't kick, please keep it. Best to you!

Matt

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

When you finally win something you will look better holding a $15k+ gun.

Seriously, listen to PBB, I can attest to what he has posted.

Don Verna

14. Smoke the lineman

Smoke the lineman TS Member

Thanks to all the replys. Thats what I really like about this sport, all the insight you all are willing to share. I live in NC and enjoy shooting alot! A friend is letting me use his Ks5 right now and I shoot it well and like it.With that said other than shooting a model 12 and a 682x with no ajustments just a couple of times can not really compare the guns.I see to do it well takes time and effort and probably a high end gun that will last thru the learning curve. I see that if I am planning to go "all in" that price does not beat quality. Time to save a little and get a good start rather than half way do it. I will keep looking at replys untill I have saved the money I need for a high end gun or untill someone with a better opinion speaks up thanks, SMOKE...

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Smoke, shotgun durability is important but how important is up to the guy buying it.

I'd rather have a mediocre gun with a stock that fits me than a high dollar one that doesn't! A stock fit to you is much more important than make or cost of the gun! Spend your money on having a good stock fitted to you, that way you'll be far ahead of the head games and learn to shoot better, quicker.

Hap

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Rem 1100 at pawn shop $375 Jack west stock $250 Devault custom rib $350 Trigger work $75 cost of gun $1050 enjoyment PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.