1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Qualifications to teach a clinic?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

With the latest increase of "trap - instructors" or self proclaimed experts, a question has arose in my mind. What does it take for someone to convince you that they are qualified enough to instruct you to be a better shooter. I always judged an instructor on his experience and success. I have always included the success part because a lot of people have been doing things wrong for many years. What does it take? All comments welcome.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

The major thing needed to be an instructor is a group of students willing to pay you for instruction. A great shooter may not be a great instructor and a great instructor may not be a great shooter. An instructor may be great for one student and not so great with another student. No instructor can help a student who is not willing to learn from the instructor.

Pat Ireland

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Your second sentence about says it all ...

"What does it take for someone "to convince you" that they are qualified enough to instruct you to be a better shooter." That and money of course ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Pat,

You missed the thread completely. I'm not asking what it takes to be an instructor, I'm asking what it would take for you to take a clinic off an individual.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

kgun: Pat and I will offer you a one of a kind instruction clinic on shooting and BS skills. Which will include how to improve your shooting ability and how to talk a better game than you just shot. As an added inducement we will bring in WPT to give you bowling tips to improve your game. I will have to get with the other two to see if we can keep the cost down below $10,000 for the 2 days. But I will need your decision and your deposit quickly as our schedules are pretty full.

Don

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

You can get something from every instructor-coach. The basics of trap shooting are for the most part very simple. Truly understanding and being able to perform after instruction is another thing altogether.

Two students took the same math course, one is named "Einstein". Who learned the most.

And instructor can only teach so much, the rest is up to YOU the student.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

What it takes for me is to see that some of his/her other students have become successful shooters, or that s/he has helped a shooter improve significantly.

S/he also would have to have the right personality for me. That means:

1. S/he has to treat students with respect.

2. I learn by doing, not by listening, so his/her method of teaching would have to incorporate that. An instructor that helps me to discover for myself what needs to be changed, rather than just telling me what needs to be changed, will be the better instructor for me.

Every student is different, so you need to find what works for YOU in an instructor. Some students will do better if they have a drill seargent as an instructor. Some people need a really upbeat instructor, while others would be annoyed with someone that had a personality that was too bubbly. Figure out what works for you.

8. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

BigDon,

You can go ahead and keep your lessons. First I don't think I need shooting instruction and second I've seen your BS skills, maybe you shoot go back to school. Just my opinion.

9. rocktire

rocktire Member

I have found over the years by watching people on the trap range that everyone wants other shooters to be successful. If someone wants to be helped they will seek a person and ask for tips. I have seen a lot of great shooters try to coach a new young shooter and what they do is try to get that shooter to do what works for them. It is natural for us to want people to do things the way we do them. It must be a way of justifying that we are doing it more correctly than others. In all reality every shooter does it different. Just look at the pros. They all do some things different. A truly good coach will be able to watch a shooter and see what there style is and adapt a method that will work for that person. I think there are natural coaches and natural shooters and very rarely people who are good at both.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

kgun_shooter

"You missed the thread completely. I'm not asking what it takes to be an instructor, I'm asking what it would take for you to take a clinic off an individual."

Well I am with you Pat I looked at the question that the title of the thread asks and that is what I read also.

"Qualifications to teach a clinic?"

As has been explained I must have been mistake in the ability of my reading or at the very least to understand English.

Bob Lawless

11. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Well sorry Bob, but the title is a summary the actual thread is what you should have read. Sorry next time I'll type the entire context in the title.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

A little touchy today.

If you are not looking to improve your shooting skills then why worry about someones qualifications to teach a clinic.

Have a good day and I hope you solve your problem.

Don

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are times I shoot like I bowl and other times I bowl like I wish I could shoot ... I have shot good and bad in both sports, good is better ... Practice, Practice, Practice and you'll be surprised how lucky you can get sometimes ... (WPT/2009)

If you look at some of the Top Guns who have dedicatied their life to shooting and it shows on a continual basis like Kiner, Big Leo, Hoppe, Nora (Martin) Ross, and the list goes on and on of shooters who have proven that they are qualified by doing what they preach or in this case teach ... Not all instructors are good teachers and sometimes good teachers are not the best instrutors but they seem to get the point across ... I can attest that Kiners clinic is a great clinic and the DVD he sells are his class in a nut shell without the personal contact, individual instruction, to those who need it and the jokes he slips in on you from time to time ... He has also perfected his video skills to the point he proves to you what happens rather than what you think happened on particular shots ... The list of those qualified is listed in the record books, some are goods teachers and some might not be (thats subjective at best) and they are all different in some ways but usually meet in the winners circle when all is said and done ...

I have a bowling coach who is a great bowler, a really nice guy, and PBA (Professional Bowling Association) member for 50 years but he is not a good teacher, I think he is holding me back ... (lol) ... I won't tell him that though ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

kgun_shooter

"Well sorry Bob, but the title is a summary the actual thread is what you should have read."

That is different as I read it the title is a question that you are asking. The body of the post makes a series of statements. About what you think about instructors. Interestingly enough the last four words of this quote are a question. Although I am not sure about what.

"With the latest increase of "trap - instructors" or self proclaimed experts, a question has arose in my mind. What does it take for someone to convince you that they are qualified enough to instruct you to be a better shooter. I always judged an instructor on his experience and success. I have always included the success part because a lot of people have been doing things wrong for many years. What does it take?"

BTW you also said "All comments welcome." well it would seem that mine wasn't as welcome as you say. Then again that comment would appear to have as much credibility as the rest the post.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.