1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quail hunting with a pull trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Quail hunting with a pull trigger after I'v been using a release for 10 yrs---
    Went out yesterday---3 quail went up and 3 came down with the pull---also shot 2 running deer with the pull and 2 down----Trick is to keep finger off the trigger until ready to pull---last yr I had several misses with a flinch till I realized the trick----Happy now---You can still use both with consentration.
    George@SJB

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I agree with sarge but when your so used to shooting with a release it's only natural to tend to finger the trigger even when the bird gets up---My safe and shooting finger go towards the bird and don't touch the trigger till it's time to pull---that's how I got rid of the flinch while hunting---Works for me.
    SJB

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I realized I needed a release trigger may years ago when I was missing every first shot at a quail or pheasant . I eventually started shooting skeet and sporting clays with a release along with trap .

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

not on my squad, I hope!

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Joe---If there were no release triggers the sport would die---You may have to shoot alone one day---gL---George@SJB

6. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

I shoot sporting clays with a double release trigger with a dismounted gun.. I gave up hunting years ago. If I was to duck hunt again.. a triple release trigger in my gun.

7. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Dixie Special 25, when shooting Sporting Clays with a low gun do you set
    release for 1st bird before calling or after you mount? I am thinking of
    going to double release for Sporting. Thanks, Gary Owen

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Just be carefull when you are switching back and forth. I have a good friend who shoots trap with a release trigger only. He bought a nice O/U for shooting both Skeet/Sporting Clays and it even had a pair of drop out triggers. He wanted to send one off to have the release installed, but to this day he still has not. We were shooting some Skeet one day and he complained about having to remember to pull the trigger around the first 7 stations. We got to high 8 and he went to set the trigger and took out about 20 something targets as he shoot though the opening as he called for the bird. We still kid him to this day that he's the only person I know that can shoot a 38 in one round of Skeet. Upon reflection I'm just glad no one was hurt, but the kidding will continue long after we all stop shooting. So my message is!!! don't be cheap, get all your guns to shoot the same, no matter what kind of trigger you like. Break em all. Jeff

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I shoot Trap with a release and hunt Quail with a pull. I hunt Quail every week-end from November through February, so I really hunt a lot. I have never had a problem. However, I believe that it is unsafe to shoot any sport where you hold a low gun with a release trigger. I also believe it is unsafe to set the releasen trigger in Trap until the gun is mounted. One man's opinion. I have seen and even had a release trigger "pull through" when being set. If the gun were mounted, it might be a surprise but it would still be completely safe.

10. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Good points birdogs, you are very fortunate to be where you can hunt quail
    that often. What kind of dogs do you run? I live in SD so only hunt pheasants
    with my to Llewellin Setters, but would love to give them a chance at quail.
    Gary

11. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

The last time I saw a release trapster try to shoot skeet with a pull trigger it was an unmitigated disaster.

The result was a small handful of unintentional discharges that ended up in him leaving the line before the game was over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

when to pull the trigger when hunting quail