1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quail flushing dog?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Doug Brown, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just came back from a quail hunt & was telling me about a little dog, that would go in & flush the quail (on command) that the pointers pointed. Anyone know what type of dog this is? Thanks

2. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Probably a Jack Russel Terrier....I have seen a few hunters use these little dogs with their pointers....Great tag team for sure!!!

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Might be a boyken spaniel

Probably was

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

My English Springer was a great hunnting dog...would go into anything, briars, brush piles, multiflora rose, and chase out the birds..quail, pheasants, doves, and, of course, the occasional deer--hard to break her of that one. She'd hunt til her flanks were bloody.

Just watch the tail and when that little stub changes tempo from a little flick left and right to a buzz like a rattler, birds are going up.

Best dog breed in the world for us hunters who don't care about poise, position and lineage...just watching a good dog that loves what it was bred for...

And they most often take the dog show trophies, too.

5. BillJ

BillJ Member

Just did a Quail hunt yesterday here in Florida. The guy had 5 pointing dogs and a yellow lab that flushed on command. Great time.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They also use "Hunting Cockers".

7. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Guys,

They call it a little man as I done this for a few yrs before I was able to carry a gun.lol This is what got me affixed on bird hunting and I have love the rush ever scene then

thanks
    lee

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Found out they were English Cockers. Thanks

9. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I had a yellow lab that would do that on command. Point first. Then on command flush the birds out. A yellow lab going through briars makes for a bloody dog. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flushing dog quail