1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quadruple Bypass

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bluedevil, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Just got home from a quadruple bypass. Doc and all the nurses say they have never seen anyone recuperate so fast but I would hate to see a slow recovery. For you guys that have had one how did you do? I assume 10-20 weeks for any shooting. Doc says the heart is fine it was just the arteries. I am sort of depressed. One thing that changed is my wife and I were bickering a lot before and she has been like Florence Nightengale, wow, blown away by her love and care. I am humble beyond belief so something positive from it all. Just wanted to say high and glad to be alixe, close call.

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Haven't had by-pass surgery but had a colon resection a couple years ago. My wife was the best also. Say "Thank you" often.
    Take things easy, read some of those books you've been meaning to and watch your favorite football teams.
    I'll pray for your total recovery.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

BD,

Glad you're still with us. It does give a fella a little different perspective on life, etc. doesn't it?

A triple for me in late July '08. Eight weeks later on the doc's OK I started with 7/8 oz loads for 16's and dubs but no caps. 8 weeks after that I was back to 1 1/8 oz loads and Nitro's for my winter league caps. Neither recoil nor cold weather seemed to bother. Was close for me too but no heart damage.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

4. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Bluedevil - I had the same quadruple bypass four years ago. Be careful of the depression. Most everyone that has open heart surgery experiences some level of depression for several weeks following the operation. I don't know why the depression, but it does go away after some time. Tell your doctor, he can give you something that will make you feel better. No need to suffer, you feel bad enough already. They really watched the depression in my rehab class.

I started shooting about twelve weeks after the surgery. Don't get into a hurry. You will be amazed at how quickly you heal. Do all of your therapy and good luck.

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Here is my reply (a initial and a follow-up) to a shooter who asked the same question for a friend and fellow shooter of his who had a bypass along with a caratoid artery cleaning process. Most of the info will still be the same but they may have improved parts of the recovery process. Pay attention to what the Doc tells you AND FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS.

I had a fiver (or at least that was what the Doc told since I decided to take a nap and let him do all the work ;-) on Election Day 2004. By the way that is a GREAT DAY to have surgery since you are asleep during all the BS pumping done by the tv and radio stations.

I missed the November league shoot two weeks later but made it deer hunting, although in a somewhat less strenuous than my normal manner, just about four weeks later. I did restrict myself to a handgun (.44 Mag) with the admonition that my daughters would have to drag out any deer I got. I gave them a break and didn't get one (only by good luck for my daughters and the deer and bad luck for me). I stayed with the handgun because I thought that the .300 Win Mag rifle might just be pushing it a bit. I did check out with the Doc about this an I started with a .22 to see the first results then moved up to a .40 for a more recoil test. no problems with either so it was on to the .44 using light .44 Special Loads. No problems so it was on to full bore .44 Mag loads in the test. No problem so I was off to the hunt.

About two weeks after that I shot the December League shoot. I started with those featherlite loads a few days before just to see what it would be like but they were just to lite for me. I went to a 1 oz. standard and there were no problems. I don't recall shooting a great score but I did break more than half of them (about what I normally shoot).

He will probably have a sore spot in the upper part of his rib cage under his left shoulder for a couple of weeks after the surgery. In my case, that seems to be a bruise left by a rib spreader. It made getting up from bed a bit "more interesting" but it did not affect shooting. It does goes away in a couple of weeks.

Also in the hospital they will most likely give him a pillow to hug TIGHTLY when he coughs. He will be STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to cough to help keep the lungs clear to prevent pneumonia. When he coughs, he will know why he should hug the pillow TIGHTLY. The way it feels when you do it the first few times, well, let's just say that if hugging reduces the pain, I sure as hell would not want to cough without the pillow!!! There is still more than enough with the pillow to bring tears to your eyes the first few times.

Do the stretching exercises they will start on right in the hospital and START WALKING. My Doc told me to get maybe a mile in a day, not necessarily all at one time. This was maybe three weeks after surgury. After that visit I measured just what I had been walking. It turned out to be about two miles. I kept my normal route and told him about the distance. His comment was if you don't get any pain, shortness of breath or lightheadness from it, keep it up. Your body will tell you what you can and cannot do. Six weeks after surgery the Doc removed all restrictions.

The main thing is keep moving. It helps the blood to get around and not pool. Staying in bed, literally, can kill you if there are no other factors that would require a more sedentary style.

His Doc will probably order cardiac rehab around six weeks after surgery. DO IT!!! It not only gets your body back in shape but, and maybe more importantly, it can help convince your mind that you are more than capable of doing things you might have thought could not be done.

All this is based on only a CABG (coranary artery bypass graft) (pronounced "cabbage"). I do not have any experience about a caratoid cleaning so that may, or may not change what he has to do.

Tell him to keep busy and keep moving and hurry up and get back on the line.

Follow up message

One thing not mentioned in my earlier posting is to keep the wife at bay. My wife was more afraid of my recovery period and what I was doing (walking, resting with legs elevated, pressure stockings, bp checks etc.) than I was. I did what I was told and she tried to do everything and kept bugging me "Are you sure you feel okay?" and "Do you want me to do that for you?" type of questions.

I finally had to let her know that I was doing fine and her continued offers of help were appreciated but were definitely not in my best interests. I would let her know when I needed help, for instance putting the pressure stockings on and off. She just about panicked when I said I would accompany her to Wal-Mart maybe a week after getting home. By that time the Doc had cleared me to walk, in a controlled environment temperature-wise. I am in northwestern PA and November gets kind of cold sometimes. Wal-Mart proved to be okay since I could use the cart as a support (not really needed but nice to have) and a number of benches to sit if needed were available. I did look a bit funny carrying my heart shaped pillow with me and when the check out clerk tried to see what the price was I told her about $50,000 and she looked at me kind of strange. Then I explained a bit! Incidentally, the Wal-Mart trip worked well since there were no flu or colds prevalent in the area and it gave me a chance to get out of the house and keep from wearing out the carpet from the constant walking I was doing while home.

One thing to keep in mind is that your medications may require adjustment as to dosage levels and frequency during the first few weeks of recovery. The Doc cut back on the BP lowering meds and the Beta blocker since following the surgery my BP was lowered (probably due to the weight loss I also had that was a part of the entire process) and a bit of lightheadness and one dizzy spell that put me one the floor when I got up from a chair two or three days home from the hospital. If you get any thing that you are not sure of, contact the Doc to find out if it is something that may or may not require intervention.

Good luck and follow the Doc's orders but also do not be afraid to push yourself a bit within the limits that the Doc sets. They have done their job a heck of a lot more times than you have done your recovery job.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Right or left handed?

7. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sir

Had my quad 10 years,and 1 month ago(60yo at the time)---returned to trap at 6 weeks with a 28ga 1100.

Went Pheasant hunting at 10 weeks.....

As soon as possible--start an exercise program----eat healthy---keep a positive attitude....

Tom

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

good that you had the surg done. If you do your rehab you will be fine. The chest wont come open. its wired together, all you have to worry about is how well the arteries are taking the graft and healing up. a sonogram will tell the answer to that. I had a quad bypass, and shot the full week at the sw grand six weeks after surgery. docs advice, shoot lite loads, and if it hurts(pain) then stop. get lots of exercise, cardio type walking at a brisk rate, the idea is to get your heart rate up and keep it there for a while, then cool down. start lite and work as hard as you can to increase your strength and stamina. Your workout on an inclined treadmill should take not much more than about 30 min. The more yu push yourself the faster the rehab. BTW arent the cough pillows great. I dont think i would have made it without mine.

bob

9. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Thanks for all the replies, had my first checkup today. Doc says I'm doing as good as anyone he has ever worked on. I have worked out all my life, paratrooper, football, racquetball etc so the heart itself is strong. I'm not into macho right now I'm into doing what I'm told. Thanks all.

10. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I had quad bypass on my 61st birthday after the Dr. ran all the tests and I passed them all. He said I still want to do a catherization to make sure and thank GOD he did as I had the blockage. He and my GP said they wanted me to take an anti-depressant and I said no and they said yes. They said people who had no symtoms start saying why me where as a person who has a heart attack says I am glad to survive.
    To make a long story short I took them for 6 months and everyone said I was better for doing it. I started shooting the 410 8 weeks after and the 28 the next week and then 1oz. and have had no problems in the last 7 years.
    Listen to your Dr. and you will be fine.

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Congrates hope that everything continues to do well for you. In 1990 I had major back surgery, and you talk about great wives.....I got her, hands down.
    It was very degrading for me, know what I could once do and now it was literally like starting all over. I had 6 herniated discs repaired at Thomas Jefferson in Philly. They shipped me home via of ambulance and I laid in a hospital bed in my living totally useless. I couldnt walk, I couldnt put my hands 6 inches from my body with out screaming in pain. My wive did everything for me, constantly at my side. We had no idea where this would lead or what I would be able to do in the future. 20 years later and I can do anything and just about everything I want to do. I thank God every day for the woman I have. Every day I tell her I love her and how beautiful she is. Am I a sap or what?

12. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Heartfelt story and no you are not a sap! You are a man, a real man, congrats. My wife has just flat out gone beyond what I thought she would or could do, I am humble and love her very much. Now we all need to work hard to remain healthy and enjoy this blessed life we have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

quadruple bypass forum