1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Q on where to soft focus

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpsr6, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

I watched Harlin's singles video last nite, a lot of great information and insight. I have also have and watched Phil's dvd as well. Here is one thing I struggle with in relation to both systems, they both talk about where your eyes should be pre shot ie soft focus. Harlin defines where to look a bit more but when it comes to in/out as Phil explains it I have a difficult time grasping how to soft focus at 15 yds beyond the house as Harlin describes it. If you are looking 15 yards out parallel over the barrel and there is nothing there how do you soft focus on that area without ending up looking all the way to the backround which may be 150 yds out in my club's case.
    thanks

2. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Take Chris Vendel's clinic... he's almost a carbon copy of Frank Little and Chris spends a lot of time describing, drilling and creating visualizations for soft focus and hard focus.

As a note, soft focus and hard focus have little to do with the background. With soft focus, you're looking to put your eyes in the right direction and then "open" up your peripheral vision. With hard focus your zeroing in on the ridges of the bird, staring "hard" at the target until your sight picture comes in... your brain does this automatically with hand eye relationship once you're staring hard.

I'm a terrible shooter... but I know what they're talking about with soft/hard.

Walker

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click my above link and download the Gun Holds photos. They show the focus area.

Whiz

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Whiz, can we assume the opposite for a left handed shooter? since the hold points for posts 1 and 5 are different?

5. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

Thanks for the link I have downloaded it before. If you are using those eye hold points and want to soft focus 15 yds in front of the house and above the barrel how do you eye hold on nothing. My eye wants to go all the way to the backround.

6. Beni

Beni Member

Hey whiz those are cool picturesand I understand the soft focus theory but my question is does the same work for a one eyed shooter. thanks Joel

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The object of the game is to provide your subconscious mind with enough information so it can do what is necessary to break the next target. With all this focusing crap you are using the conscious mind and it makes mistakes. Get into the zone and you will shoot good scores. HMB

8. biff

biff Active Member

Now that was profound HMB! Tell em like it is. Biff

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Actually, HMB has it right. The less you think about the thigs you feel to concentrate on the better off you 'll be. Thinks less, score more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

soft focusing birdwatching

soft focusing shooting