1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Q for Muzzleloader shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Shannon,

The problem with your gun is who it is made by. Look for a T/C Renegade in 54 cal. It is a Hawkins style muzzleloader and are very good shooters for a traditional style.

ec90t

2. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

I second the T/C for what you are looking for......The Lyman Plains Rifle is another excellent choice

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Whatever you get, if it is a caplock and uses number 11 standard caps, make sure you can substitute the nipple to get it to use musket caps.

I have found musket caps to work better/more reliable than the number 11 standard caps.

BTW, it's Hawken, not Hawkins...

4. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Go to my web site. I have two muzzle loaders on there that might work for you and I'll make you a deal on either.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

In a traditional muzzleloader, the Lyman Great Plains is a very good choice. Its an authentic copy, it that means anything, the TC is not. It may be a good rifle, just not close to a true copy. The Lyman is a very dependable, accurate rifle.

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's I bought an MK-85 Knight rifle/#11 Caps/ Timney Trigger.
    I sell muzzleloaders and have not updated my gun because of the confidence I have with my original Mk-85.Suggest you look around. With everybody updating I suggest you find an MK-85 / 50 Cal.
    I do use Triple Seven Powder & saboted slugs

Good Luck / Happy Hunting

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. trap55555

trap55555 TS Member

I have a Knight front loader forsale that might interest you. Click on the link above to see pics

run'em
    Trap55555

8. OSH

OSH TS Member

Buy a true muzzleloader with flint. Pedersoli.

9. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

Good advice here!!!
    I switched my Knight M 85 to use Musket Caps & it was a great idea. No more problems.

Wayne Downham

10. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

I agree with Bob Levine. I have a 54 cal. hawken I built' not as accuate as my wifes 50 cal. Green Mountain Ranger.She out shot every muzzleloader in our club except the guy who taught her to shoot.

11. Dustimall

Dustimall TS Member

Bob Levine, could you possibly send me an email at Shootnclays.net. I am interested in going to Alaska to hunt Caribou. Can you recommend a guide?
    Thanks
    Shootnclays

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I bought a T/C Hawken 50 cal Kit gun. Two things I done was buy a T/C 50 cal barrel in 1 in 66 twist because I use round ball only. The other was put fiber optic sites on. I've had the rifle since 94 and it can still shoot one hole groups at 100 yrds.

I use FF Goex, patched round ball and #11 percussion caps.

Bill

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a Lyman Great Plains .54 cap lock and have used it sucessfully for both deer and elk using patched balls loaded on top of pyrodex. The trick to the cap locks is lots and lots of practice. There is a learning curve for these guns that cannot be shortcut. Eventually you will learn what it takes to make that gun fire accurately on the first try - every time. There a a number of good books on the subject but they won't substitute for practice. In my mind, this is what hunting with a muzzle loader is supposed to be about. You are supposed to hunt with a firearm simlilar in performance to what people had 150 years ago. That is the challenge. For all you flintlock guys out there, my hat is off to you because those guns make mastering the cap lock seem like child's play. I wish all states would follow Washington's example on this. The modern scoped inline guns are no more challenging than using a bolt action centerfire rifle. They shouldn't be considered a primative hunting method.

14. likes-to-shoot

What are you saying BOB? .....I don't see anywhere in my post about shooting offhand. Thats the nice thing about writing things, you can go back and look at what was said.

15. hairy

hairy TS Member

Now Bill, you can clamp your gun in a vise and you're still not going to get 1-hole 100 yard groups. I don't doubt you can shoot very well with it however.

16. likes-to-shoot

Maybe I'm wrong in saying one hole group...it has shot a group of 3 that was one continuous hole. I guess its all in a persons definition of one hole group and how many shots it takes to make it official. Regardless if your in competition or on the range sighting it in for hunting.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.