1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW900 Problems after wad-

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Jun 24, 2013.

1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Reloading Rem STS gold 1x fired hulls.
    Seems that every 5th. shell or so after placing the wad in the carrier it will crimp/crush the top of the shell before it indexes to receive the shot.My recipe is good-I have the correct size wads etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Dennis Mastrolia. Thanks.

2. citadel

citadel Active Member

Check the fingers on the wad carrier. When one gets broken or damaged it screws up the wad drop. The other thing that helps is to add a tapered shell mouth opener that attaches to the primer punch. This little part is available from Whiz White I believe.

Doug

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Dennis, push down on the spring loaded part in the wad carrier housing to see if it is sticking. I have had a problem with mine sticking. That causes the wad to be pushed through before it is in the hull. I have taken mine apart several times and smoothed it with sandpaper. Push down on the assembly and look at the part that becomes visible below the carrier housing, I think it's part #70. Look for a groove worn around the bottom. That would need to be removed. Don't know how common that is but it solved my trouble.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I didn't see Keller's post till I posted. Sounds like same results, different cause.

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thanks everyone. I will try all of this tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Dennis.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Keller, the groove , or ridge, appears because the soft aluminum part is banging against another part. I could replace it but the new part would likely do the same thing. I just smoothed it with crocus cloth and it has been working fine. More like just polishing . Removing metal from around the bottom edge will not cause it to wobble in the carrier. The part could be about an inch tall

7. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Dennis, imo it sounds more like an indexing issue than a wad issue. The 900 plate floats and rotates on 2 spring loaded ball bearings. The underside of said plate has small indentations machined in it that when the indentations get to the ball bearings they "seat" themselves to the rotating plate. Which positions the plate to the correct,"in synch" position. To me it sounds like you have debris in the machined indentation under your plate that matches up to that particular hull crashing spot. You say every 5th shell, not every shell which further confirms my theory. Take the 2 retaining clips off the plate and raise the plate. Clean out the indentations. Careful to keep an eye on the 2 ball bearings since they are spring loaded.

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

It seems as though I was depressing the wad down too far in the wad carrier to make certain that it was "in". I will make a better effort to not make this insertion!! I also will replace the plastic fingers in the carrier. I will post results.
    Thank you for all of the help.
    Dennis Mastrolia.

9. oz

oz Active Member

sometimes the shell will tip when going from the insertion point to the depriming station and nick the mouth of the shell.

10. Hookedonshooting

Agree to a point. The other stations have more "play" within there specific function. The wad seating station has be be lined up pretty square since on the down stroke it is the first station to make contact with the hull due to the wad fingers having to be lined up directly above the hull. When the wad crashed the lip of the hull, as you know, more than likely you dont finish the downward stroke, thus not seeing the effects on the other stations.

The 2 ball bearings are located at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions which again and account for the every 4th or 5th shell not indexing/loading as required.

OZ, unless he changed the 900 hull dies, tipping is unlikely to occur. The 900's fully encapsulated the hulls (making them a bitch to cut out if your shell mushroomed too bad). The 950's and later had the different hull carriers that still resized the base, but were easier to get out if necessary.

11. JohnP

JohnP Member

I had the exact same problem and the problem was the same/similar reason explained by Unknown1 and Johnny above. I cleaned it and replaced the coil spring and made sure it didn't overlap when putting it back in.. solved the problem.

12. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Would there be a picture of what you are referring to?
    Thanks--Dennis

13. Hookedonshooting

Pls post the pic. Its never been an issue with any of the PWs ive worked on. Very curious.

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Dennis, push down on the part you insert the wad into with your finger. It's called the "upper wad cup." It should move down without much resistance. If it's stuck in place or you have to push down hard, that is your problem.

Just drop in the wad , don't push it in.

15. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thanks Johnny. I do believe that I was pushing the wad down too much. Dennis.

16. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Problem solved---I think. I took apart the whole wad carrier assembly. I found that part of the red plastic fingers were broken. Then I noticed that the upper wad cup ( which is two pieces) was almost half way "unscrewed". I cleaned it--replaced the plastic fingers with a new one--tightened the upper wad cup and now 100 shells later things seem to be working nicely. I still don't have too much confidence in the unit as I have had way too many "clean-ups". Thank you all for the great info and help.

Dennis Mastrolia
    DennisMastrolia@verizon.net