1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW800B Progressive Loader Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MauserMike, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MauserMike

MauserMike TS Member

I've searched the archives and gathered a lot of useful information here on the PW800 series of progressive loaders. I've been offered one in a private sale and it seems like a much nicer unit that spending the equivalent money on a new MEC Grabber.

What I want to understand more is how you use it. An instruction manual for a PW800B would be a fantastic help to me if people have one (is it much different than an 800+?). Specifically, I'm trying to understand how you set it up, take powder and shot samples for measuring etc. (coming from someone with some single stage press experience)

Finally, does P-W still sell parts for the 800B?

2. YUKONJACK

YUKONJACK TS Member

Here is the info that I have for PW.Contact Ponsness/Warren;
    So. 763 HWY.41
    P,O, BOX 8
    Rathdrum, Id 83858
    Phone (208) 687-2231
    Fax (208) 687-2233
    This is off a old sheet I have had for at least 10 years,I hope at least some of it is accurate,It will at least give you a staring point.
    Good Luck,
    YUKON JACK

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Contact Whiz White at ... whiz@swsupply.com ... he has developed a terrific manual and also is a PW dealer. Advice is free, but he does charge for parts. Great guy! Bill Malcolm

4. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

Go with the Whiz! He's the PW expert. Very helpful and fast shipping.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

P/W is no longer supporting the 800B, 800C, nor 800CVT.

When these parts run dry, there were be no more. You, can, however, upgrade some of the above to the 800 Plus, with a couple of exceptions.

Their address has changed, not their physical location, but the USPO address. I think it's like 7683 Bard Street. 800-732-0706.

Whiz

PS: Thanks, Bill - we got your weather down here.

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I heard about your snow Whiz, we got some of that white stuff a week and a half ago a few miles to the west of us. Feel free to keep it in SD, except for a few inches on Christmas Eve. Bill Malcolm

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have an 800B and love it once set up it will load with the best of them. I paid 100.00 for it as a back up loader to my PW 900 and like it better. I got a shovel handle for it from Wizz and off I went.
    Buddy

8. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

I have to correct some misinformation, I checked with the factory about the non support of the 800B/C/CVT and for the most part it isn't true. After all, the 800+ is an 800CVT with a few new bells and whistles.
    The only thing that you can't replace once the current stock of parts is gone is the 800B 12 Ga primer feed. It is the only part that was exclusive to the 800B. The new style primer feeds will work on the 800B, even the 12 Ga. but it will leave a mark on the base of the shell U shaped where the raised portion of the new feed presses into the base of the shell. It is basicly a cosmetic problem, Or by changing the cross head to the new style and using the new primer feed you can update the B to a CVT.
    I don't think that that would be cost effective but it could be done. If you need more info contact me at the above or by phone at 904 910-0245.
    Jim Cunningham

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Well, not all of Jim's info is correct. And, I guess I take exception that I am giving "misinformation", Jim. That I don't do.

The primer assembly is NOT THE ONLY EXCLUSIVE part on the older 800's. As I mentioned in my original thread there are "a couple of exceptions."

The 800B, C, CVT uses a 7/8" diameter cross-shaft. Because this is a small diameter shaft, these reloaders use cast aluminum end caps. These end caps are used on the above reloaders for the handle and side links. The newer Platinums and 800 Plus machines use 1¼" diameter cross-shafts and these hold the opperating handle and side links.

Also, the primer seating assembly mentioned above is gauge specific on the 800B machines. This is to say, you cannot insert a 410 seating assembly in a 12 gauge 800B and expect it to work. You would have to change the main crosshead as mentioned above.

I was attempting to get setup to offer a "deal" to 800B, C, CVT owners whereby I would offer a machining service which would permit the use of the 1¼" diameter crosshafts and new link assemblies. Unfortunately, this got to be so cost prohibitive, I only did one.

I rebuild P/W all the time, every model of progressive, so I do think I have a handle on what is needed.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor<BR>
    605-341-4412

10. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I have one that I would love to sell, it is just taking up space. Serial # 6018. I am selling it for an old trapshooter who bought it new. Make me a reasonable offer!! I live close to Middletown, Ohio. Paul Baker

11. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

I put a new style primer feed into my 900 and I get the U-shaped marks on the bottom of brass base hulls like AA anyway. If I lower the feed enough to eliminate the marks then the Winchester primers I use don't seat fully. The loader is adjusted correctly as far as the stop block and the shell post goes. I've watched the bottoms of the dies as the primers are inserted into the hulls and can't see that the primer feed and the die bottom ever come together, and the brass of the primer feed doesn't go above the surface of the lower crosshead.

Andy Moreland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.