1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Wad Pressure ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Masterplan, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

brooksironworks_2011_27096.jpg

1) According to my PW Manual Im supposted to not have any movement of the resizing die if when I have the handle down and stick the eraser end of a pencil up under the wad seating area hole opening.

2) My question is does this F8 look excessively "pre-crushed" ? Is there another way of checking the wad pressure.

PW 900 Size-o-matic 5169R

Also

Is a 1/8" + grimp good ?

Thank you

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A 1/8" deep crimp is WAAAAAY too deep. The crimp should be only about as deep as a US dime is thick (.050"-.055"). The depth of the crimp controls the amount of pressure the powder charge builds as it burns before it forces the end of the shell open. A 1/8" deep crimp will add several thousands of pounds of extra pressure that could damage the gun and the shooter.

The PW instruction book was apparently written when wad pressure was still needed. I set all my wads so there is movement in the die after the wad is seated. This usually puts the tops of the wad petals down in about as far as where the crimp shoulder will be...at the lower end of the crimp folds. I can still spin the die freely after the wad is inserted. No wad pressure is needed with modern wads.

Yes the wad appears pre-crushed. That could have occurred if you used excessive pressure to seat it. If the wad is the correct one for the powder load and shot load specified in the printed data in the formula for the hull you're using, don't be concerned about how it looks if the shell is assembled correctly.

Keller

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I agree with Keller, in that today's wads require no real wad pressure. As long as the overpowder cup on the wad comes down far enough to seat against the powder, you're good to go. What I like to do is set the wad ram to where it leaves the petals of the wad right at the crimp line. This will allow the crimp stations to seat the wad to the proper height when the crimp is folded over. I believe Whiz has a diagram for this...I'll see if I can find it for you. Garrett

4. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

OK, I did a little searching and found the diagram that Whiz uses for wad height. It can be seen in the thread above. Hope this helps. Garrett

5. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

So... Should I toss them ?

6. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

If I failed to mention these are 18.4 Gr of Green Dot

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You cannot seat a plastic wad in a plastic shell so that any pressure is retained. The wad will just relax to its free state when the wad ram is removed. The final crimp is what puts pressure on the wad.

The way I adjust the wad ram is to bring the operating handle down and adjust the wad ram until it just contacts the wad. Just turn the ram until you feel it contact the wad and lock the nut.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Use garys unloader and empty them so you save all but the hull ( and the wad if it is crushed)

9. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

10. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

The pressures look like they could handle alot more. Do you think it to be safe to shoot them ?

Tell me if Im wrong........

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

If you are wondering if it is safe then there is a problem. You might be ok but then again you might not.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"The pressures look like they could handle alot more. Do you think it to be safe to shoot them? Tell me if Im wrong......"</I></blockquote>OK... you're wrong. NEVER GUESS AT WHAT PRESSURES MIGHT/COULD/SHOULD BE! The only pressure values you can trust are<UL><LI>the ones in data published by powder makers<LI>the ones from ballistics tests that have been conducted by reputable manufacturers or labs</UL> Here's an example...

You wrote that your crimps were 1/8 inch deep (if I interpreted you correctly). That's .125". The depth used as a standard for 12 gauge crimps is .055". That's a difference of .070". Here a chart of a crimp depth test run by a guy who's considered reputable in ballistics circles. He created a 7/8 oz load and increased the crimp depths by .020" each time he tested it: <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

When the crimp depth was increased from .050" to .090" (.040" increase) the pressure rose by 2600 psi and took it well over the maximum safe limit by about 1500 psi. You will be increasing YOUR crimp depth by .070". I can predict 2 things:<ul><LI>the pressure in your 1 1/8 oz load will rise faster than the pressure did in his 7/8 oz load as the crimps get deeper, and<li>the pressures you will generate with the depth pf your crimps will be WAY further over the max safe limit than his were.</UL>

Disassemble the shells you've loaded with that 1/8" crimp, save what you can and load some new ones crimped at the depth they should be.

Keller

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Masterplan, Your crimp should duplicate a factory crimp. If your crimp looks like a factory crimp, your load will be ok. I wouldn't worry about how much the wad is compressed inside the loaded shell, that is predetermined in the load data with a proper crimp. I wouldn't want to shoot shells with a 1/8" crimp.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

There is a good chance that the crimp depth at 1/8" is the reason the wads are crushed the wad they are. After all the final crimp does establish the pressure of the shell!!!

Bob Lawless

15. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

personnally I would sell all your reloading equipment ,and buy brand new shells ,why reload when you can buy ,with no worries , Oh and by the way I'
    ll buy your k80 tooo!!! He Haw

16. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

sell me that PW He Haw !!!!!

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

There's no such thing these days as "wad pressure." The pressure idea went the way for fiber wads.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.