1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW & Steel Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T-Sobania, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Sobania

T-Sobania TS Member

I have loaded a few thousand steel based hulls (gun clubs & top guns)in my PW 800 cvt. It takes much more force to get these hulls in and out of the die's than brass based hulls. Are these hulls going to prematurely wear out this re-loader or can the PW handle it?

Thanks

TS

2. blaster

blaster Member

I run them though a mec resizer. Too many problems not doing it.

3. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

I 2nd Smokem's idea. That's the way I do it. Wayne Downham

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

smoken offers good advice. Many PW's do not respond well to loading steel based hulls!!

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I run thousands of Gun Clubs through my PW900. It takes a firm pull, but I find it is more work to set the Fiocchi primers on the upstroke, than the resizing. Once I have reloaded with the Fiocchi primers at least once in a hull, things seem to run pretty smoothly. It is more work than the STS and Nitro brass based hulls. Mark

6. AAtrap12ga

AAtrap12ga Member

I'm having a problem with my PW 2000 (hydraulic) not seating the Gun Clubs in the first station and the lip of the hull catching preventing the turret from indexing to the next station. Not a problem with my STS or Nitro 27 brass base hulls. Anyone else having this problem? Can the seating post be adjusted up to create more push on the base of the hull? Will it distort or cup the base of the hull? Anyone spoke with PW regarding this issue? Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

Steve Szczechura

Pelham, NH

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you are going to reload steel base hulls invest in a MEC Super Sizer. The Super Sizer will reduce the shell head daiameter and make the process go a lot easier.

It is also a good idea to keep the shell holders well lubricated. A wool bore mop above station one with CLP BreakFree on it works wonders.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

PW's were invented before steel headed cases were available. Hence, the term Sizeamatic would be incorrect!!

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I load thousands of Gun Clubs on my 800B and have had no problems. Takes a bit more effort but no biggie. Once and a while a lip will catch and ruin a shell, but not often. I do use a mop and light oil.

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Another vote for smoken. I use a MEC collet resizer on all steel base hulls prior to reloading. The loader will handle it without resizing for a long time, but the added pressures cause added wear, no question and not just on the sizing die.

Buz

11. yzfart

yzfart TS Member

Steve,

I also use the Mec Zupersizer for initial sizing of the steel rim on the Remington Gun Clubs that I reload. What I decided on was to adjust the stop on the Mec Supersizer to where they just have a very light squeeze in the PW dies. This enables the dies ton lightly hold the shells as they are carried around the carousel. This way the bases don't drag. The adjustment only has to be made once and the sizing goes quite fast with the Mec Supersizer - I usually use this step for QC on the shell prior to loading.

Ben

12. T-Sobania

T-Sobania TS Member

Thanks for the comments. I'll try the mop and breakfree. I really don't want to add one more step to the reloading process with the supersizer.

TS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

steel hulls mec super sizer