1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Shell Drop

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

I have read the thread about reloading benches and got lots of great ideas. Does anyone have a picture of how they designed their shell drop for thru/under a bench or a material list of sorts and instructions. PW has a kit for front drop but i would rather go with thru a hole in the bench and underneath.

Bill

2. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

I used a Sear's work bench about $100 with a door on one side and three drawers on the other side. I took a 4 inch to 3 inch plastic piper reducer, cut a 3 inch hole in bench top and a slot in the 4 inch side for the slide of PW to drop into. Instead of metal shelf that came with work bench I cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood for the shelf. I originally used the metal shelf but it started to concave. I use rubermaid box that holds three hundred loaded shells. I have been using this setup for many years and it works.

3. three-reloaders

three-reloaders TS Member

I took a 3" street elbow and put it thru bench. On the other side 3"45 degree connecter glue to the street elbow. Added 12" straight piece into bucket. Works great.

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

When you allow them to fall in a bucket or a length of pipe to a container arent you at risk of one hitting a primer of another and going off???

WesleyB

5. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I took off the factory shell slide and replaced it with a longer one made of piece of PVC pipe that I cut in half. I supported the trough with a piece of 2x6 cut in the appropriate triangle shape. I cut a hole in the top of my work bench behind the loader and built a drawer, w/heavy duty full extension slide, under the bench top. I put a piece of 1" thick closed cell foam in the bottom of the drawer to soften the impact of the shells hitting. I've had over 800 shells in it at one time with no problems. It's like Christmas when I pull the drawer open and see all those green shells!

6. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Like bwpberetta,

I have a Sears bench. Just cut a hole in the wood and let the shells fall in the drawer. You can adjust the drawers. Mine holds 300.

I had to make a "stop" that would help the shells drop down.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here you go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a 3/8" steel plate under my reloader that is drilled and tapped for both the hydraulic unit (replacing the factory brackets) and to accommodate the Auto-Shell Feeder.

The Chute is easier to see in the top photo (sorry for the blurry pic). It is harder to see in bottom pic in its present position since I painted the plate white.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Hope you and the wife had a happy holiday season, Fred.

Alex has been in the middle of a snow dump down in Denver. Alex, if you're reading this, let me know and Frend and I will chip in for a BIG SNOW SHOVEL for you! Ha!

Whiz

9. WesleyB

hmmmmmm guess they wont go off.

10. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Or, you can use a couple of pieces of 4" aluminum chanel and raise your loader. This allows you to use some of the cheap plastic rectangular dish tubs to catch your shells. when one gets full pull it out and slide in a empty.
    Dan

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

WesleyB- I have heard rumors about dropped shells firing. If one were to fire it could be messy, scary but probably not dangerous.

Pat Ireland

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Pat, a friend, told me he had one go off under the bench ... the only damage was to his shorts when he crapped in them. Bill Malcolm

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have the front drop unit and do not like it much.

About 5% of the shells do not hit the little hole and fall on the bench.

I am going to convert to a through the bench set up when I install the hydraulic unit on the new bench I am setting up.

Don

14. WesleyB

Pat I wonder how far is it safe for a shell to drop? My shells just drop on table and after about 150 shells I move them into an empty clay target box.
    I would really like to to thru the table but dont want them to go off at waist level!!

WesleyB

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wesley- I drop my shells around 14 inches into a drawer under the press. If you dropped them 24 inches into a 5 gal plastic bucket under your bench, it is very unlikely that you would ever have a problem.

Consider the worst case. A primer does go off in a shell in the bucket. It would make a little noise and smoke but due to lack of confinement, there would be very little pressure pushing the shot. The shot would not even make a dent on the inside of the plastic bucket. You could recover the shot and the wad and use them again. The hull crimp would only remain about 1/2 open and that would make reuse the hull a little difficult.

My totally unsupported guess is that the probability of a shell going off when dropped 24 inches onto a pile of loaded shells approaches one in a million or less.

Pat Ireland

16. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

I've been loading on a PW 800B for many years. I have my press positioned at the end of my homemade bench and the loaded shells drop onto the bench and then roll off into a 5 gal plastic pail. I have NEVER had a shell go off while using this method. I have used Remington, Winchester and Federal primers without ever encountering a sensitive primer that went off when falling into the bucket. And I'm talking tens of thousands of rounds loaded over the years.

My nephews, both 4-H shooters, came over during the Christmas season and we loaded over 800 rounds. Never had the first sign of a problem.

One idea that I have seen on this site is to place a cookie sheet under your press to catch the spilled shot and powder that always accumulates around your press. Good idea!!!

ECT - The Bayrat
    POC, TX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.