1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW reloader

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ronaldm, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronaldm

ronaldm TS Member

Hey guys,
    I am very interested in trying a new PW 800 Plus reloader.
    It's been ordered from the factory today.

Presently, i'm using 2 MEC 9000g's with 100% satisfaction on one and a lot of tweeking on the other. This includes the resizing die mostly, which was causing a load bang on the handle up stroke. This is under control at this time since I lowered the large nut almost to the bottom position. This may suggest that the resize would be less than required but all shells fit the many chambers easily.
    To eliminate the primer feed misalignment I carefully aligned the drop tube while droping 100 primers. Then pinned the mounting plate to the frame. It stays put and both Remington and Winchester primers work with only a rare hang up.
    I decided to try the PW loader after looking at it for 30 years. The strength of the bars and brackets sold me on the idea that it may be more stable. It's to be delivered in about a week. Do I need to be aware of any key issues?

Thanks to all who respond.

Ron

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Fortunately or unfortunately, as the case may be, I offer to my P/W customers quite a packet of materials including special high quality mounting bolts, a maintenance and lubrication instructions manual, enhancements I make and sell, etc.

Included in the packet is a nice heavy plastic laminated bushing chart, and, most importantly, step-by-step instructions on "HOW TO RELOAD THE VERY FIRST SHELL."

The factory offers nothing in this regard.

Good luck with the reloader. You will enjoy it for years.

Whiz Whtie<BR>
    P/W Distributor

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Hornaday powder bushings fit the PW reloaders and give a much wider range of size choices than do the PW bushings. Gamaliel Supply sells them for about $3.50 each. Very handy to fine-tune the weight of powder charges.

You may also want to contact Whiz White and order a powder charge weighing kit (or 2) that consists of a catch tube and a funnel so that you can catch and check the weight of powder drops while you're reloading. Very handy and very important...and don't forget to put the powder you weigh back into the shell it belongs to before you proceed with the loading.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don- On the newer PW presses, each die can easily be removed. Using am empty 20ga is no longer necessary.

Whiz gives us excellent instructions, but when we get a new press, we are much more interested in loading than reading. The most common way we learn to use a new press is to just jump in and start loading and then screw things up. At that point we get out the instruction book. We would rather learn from our mistakes than learn before we make mistakes. This is not a recommendation, simply an observation.

Ron- After a little time you will love your new PW press. At first, it will seem rather awkward.

Pat Ireland

5. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Had my 800+ for several years and now load all four gauges on it - very happily indeed.

Be very careful with the powder and shot cutoffs until you get used to them. They operate in the same direction, and it would seem more intuitive for them to operate in opposite directions. That caused me a problem at first. Take your time while you are getting the machine set up and loaded - in fact, take your time for a while until you're completely comfortable.

And one bit of adice to add to Mac V's - you can also get an adaptor for MEC powder bushings. It's cheap and can help you fine-tune your powder drop. Since you probably already have MEC bushings, it can let you keep on with your same load using bushings you already have.

Tony

6. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

As a new P/W owner myself (2 months) loading with it vs the MEC will at first seem awkward. The feeling does go away though. If you didn't order the shovel handle with it, you should. That little round ball on the regular handle will wear a hole in your hand. I not as impressed with the primer feed as others seem to be. I have to watch it as carefully as the one on the old MEC's. The first time you're looking somewhere else a primer will jam and no primer and powder falls out. However this doesn't jam the machine like on the MEC. There are holes in the base plate for the powder to fall through. It's messy though. I hope that as the machine wears and smooths up the it will get better. You'll like how consistant the powder drops are. They don't seem to vary more that .1 of a grain. Overall, I'm very happy with mine now that I've gotten more familar with it. I'm sure you will be too.
    Good Luck,
    Marion D.

7. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

If any of you PW owners ever need anything from PW I would suggest that you get it from Whiz White as he gives GOOD service and he will not charge you an arm and a leg for it I just got a spring from PW and the handling and shipping was 8.00 just as much as the spring. I thought it was too much for the handling. The postage was ok.

Duckeye

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Ron; You will learn to like this machine, But there is a LEARNING curve!!You had to learn to drive a car and with that in mind most of the people on this forum will help you if you have a problem.Marion seems to have trouble with the primer feed,I did too but there was an explanation for it!It just needs some FINE tuning,The rail needs to be centered where it meets the primer feed and you need to keep it full of primers or you have to slow down and hand feed the last 10 or so.And please don't forget "Whiz White" He knows these loaders better than anyone else.Good Luck! PJ

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Please note that the "Fred" who posted is a retired marine. The "other" Fred who posts a lot is a retired high school principal. I am off the PW band wagon due to too many quality control issues with both new models, but wish you well with your new machine. When working properly and at their price point they are excellent. Fred

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

All great advice.

I have all the "upgrades" on mine.

The case feeder is a blessing but load 2-3000 shells without it first. It will dramatically increase your production rate. (The only weak part is the return spring so order 2 or 3 extra from Whiz if you get one)

Note that Pacific, RCBS and Spolar bushings will work in addition to the Hornady ones mentioned above.

I also drop 4-6 charges to "settle in" the powder drops before reloading.

I also recommend draining the powder after every session. It is not a big deal to do and powder may be affected by light and humidity.

Enjoy your new toy!

Don

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Hey other Fred, Do you have the Spolar yet?

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Jerry: Yes and very pleased. Quality control and support are outstanding. It took a liitle time - learning curve - but not a piece of shot lost and accurate powder drops. Quick reloading time and Spolar has put the pleasure back into reloading - I am not a mechanic any more. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.