1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by swine, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swine

swine Member

I have a 800B serial 2810 the two main indexing balls in mine are different sizes one is as the owners manual says the other is a little smaller . my owners manual states that there is only one size of ball bearing 7/16 . so can anyone give me any help . this was purchased used and several things right off the bat was when I ordered a primer tray extnesion that the primer tray that I had on my machine was smaller in width then the extension. ordered a new primer tray and no proplem the extension fit like it supoose to. my machine doesn't have the the stop on the base where the handle comes down also i am loading PB so there is a little powder leakage on the head I have the new bottles with the plastic base ,would an upgrade to a new metel base be in order whether its Pw or the gentlemen from lafeyette. I had to change the shot and powder shut offs also. years ago there was a guy who was selling powder drop tube which flared the hull mouth a little more. any one know ifhe still around or where I could find one I am having little trouble with wads going in and screwwing up the mouth. sorry if this is long winded but you must Understand I have a 900h which i really like . this is my first step into the PW world Larry Swentzel

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sounds like your PW was Bubbaized!

Call Whiz White to order the parts you need...plus...he can honest advise on whatever is required.

605) 341-4412

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Larry, You will have to wait for Whiz or one of the other P/W dealers on here to get an answer on the 800 balls (I have never had an 800).

As to the powder leakage my machined aluminum base will stop that as long as the powder gear and the shut-off plate are in good condition. I do not know what type of powder seal P/W is going to use in their new metal base. I would guess it is an o-ring like they used on the cast aluminum base with the tubes. The problem with an o-ring seal is there is not enough surface area to properly bond the seal to the base. Sooner or later the o-ring will come loose and start to roll. This can block the powder flow causing inconsistent drops and leakage. My base uses a square section seal which can be bonded more securely to the base.

I have heard about the larger powder drop tube. Personally I prefer to replace the primer punch (the station just before the powder drop) with one that expands the hull more than the stock P/W punch.

Jim Skeel
    Terre Haute, IN

4. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Larry,

You mentioned...."my machine doesn't have the the stop on the base where the handle comes down "

Guessing by the serial number and the above statement you have a very early Size-O-Matic. The original machine did not have a stop block when the handle was pulled in the down position. PW stated at the time to add a 1" square wooden block. Later versions had the block built in.

Whiz White or Jim Cunningham are the people to contact.

BTW: PW now makes a flaring tool that fits on the primer punch out station. This flares the case and opens the mouth. It is listed on the PW web-site and also in their latest catalog.

Michael Stephenson

5. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Larry, I have an old P.W. # 1564 also. The bearings should be the same size.I have the small primer tray also. I've never changed it.I have a wooden block under the handle,but it is 1 3/4 high.I use P.B. powder also and get some leakage but it has a tendency to migrate so I don't worry too much about it.It may help to change the O ring under the powder bottle.I beleive Whiz White sells that shell expander for the primer punch or it may be the drop tube,not shure which. I raised my wad rammer up about 3/16 by disassembing it and putting a hose washer ( water hose although you can use any washer that will fit in the tube) under the bottom flange of the rammer.Mine did that when I tried to load 1 ounce loads.The above fixed it.I have had that loader for about 40 yrs or more.I have more money in upgraded parts than I paid for the loader. Hope this helps George

6. swine

swine Member

thanks everybody larry

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have PW # 609. It has a wooden block and both indexing balls are the same size.

Ed Yanchok

8. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Larry - You will be an PW expert in short order. Good comments on your issues. Knowing you, I'm sure you can come up with a fancy stop block, only the best. When you get the new base, I want to see pictures.

Bill

9. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

The only thing I can say is that while useing ball powder the powder migrates into the gears and I had to periodically drain the hoppers and disasemble the gears and blow them clean with compressed air.I replaced the o-ring and it still had this problem but I finally finished off the W452 powder!
    Now I always take the machine apart and clean it and lube it each year,Whiz has a lube and mantenance pdf that you can download from his site and he has the kit to go with it.Good luck PJ

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

There are several steps that need to be followed to prevent powder leakage:

1. The shut-off plate below the powder gear needs to be in pristine condition. No scratches or gouges on the top side. The metal shut-off plate will work better and last longer than the plastic one.

2. The powder gear needs to be scratch/gouge free on the top side.

3. The powder bushing needs to be smooth on both ends. It should fit snug in the powder gear. You can wrap a thin piece of tape around the bushing to prevent powder from leaking past the outside of the bushing. Another option is to use silicone to seal the bushing to the gear. That way it can still be removed. Some folks have used epoxy to permanently seal the bushing to the gear!

4. The last step is to use a base that has a powder seal that works! The seal should slide smoothly on the top side of the powder gear. It should have just enough compression to do its job and let the measure work without adding much effort to the press operation. The front two thumbscrews holding the base need to be tightened very little. If they are over tightened the seal will wear prematurely and the operating effort will be increased.

If you follow all of the steps above you will be able to use fine ball powders like Winchester 296 and Hodgdon H110 with almost zero leakage. It is still a good idea to drain and disassemble and clean every 1000 to 2000 shells.

Jim Skeel

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whiz has a new powder gear that has an o ring on the bottom to prevent powder leakage. Works great.

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The bearing are 7/16" - BOTH!

You need to do something for a stop block. You can fashion something that is held in place with the front-right base mounting bolt... the machine need to have a sold STOP.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.