1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW question for Whiz

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The people at P-W would know that better than I (Whiz would probably know, though). Why not just call them and ask?

Morgan

3. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Just installed the die removal system and quik-fil on my 800B on Good Friday. Disassembled entire press cleaned greased and replced all worn parts. Had to played with timing a little. Last year Whiz replaced the nylon bushings on the posts. It works as good as ever, maybe better...Mike

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If you read through the PW ad link posted above it states that the new 800+ uses the same die removal system as the older 800's so I don't see how it would be discontinued as long as they make the 800+.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Frank: I have to assume things like the aluminum end caps will be phased out when their supply is zeroed out. Other items, of course, are the aluminum top reservoir plate, the cross-shaft, and the special primer seating assembly for it. The main center cap uses a different style of indexing bearings (800 Plus uses a smaller bearing) and smaller springs. Also, the shut-off plates are different as well as the length of the main left and right vertical shpport shafts.

You were given correct info on the removable die plate; the 800 Plus works, and has a better (thicker) star gear assembly.

Anything that the 800 Plus uses that fits on the 800B, 800C, 800CVT, will, of course, be around for a while.

The 800 Plus uses a heavy 1¼" diameter main cross-shaft, verses the 800B/C/CVT 7/8" shaft. The latter requires the use of left and right cast and machined aluminum end caps to operate the links, with the right cap also making a place for the operating handle.

These past two weeks I was trying to design an upgrade package for 800B/C/CVT owners whereby they could ship me their base plate and I would install the 1¼" into a milled out base, add the machined link shafts, nylon liners, and really make it much closer to an 800 Plus. Unfortunately, there were two problems: (1) the base HAD to be a very old one of solid aluminum with no pockets in order to machine out the 7/8" diameter holes into 1¼" holes, and (2) the local machine shop threw me a bill for $171 to machine out these bases.

I also had them trim down the 8 dies to 2½" to equal the 800 Plus dies. They charged me $48 EACH. A new die from the factory is around $25.

The final bill to me was $559 and change. I blew a stack. They told me it took them 10 hours, three to do the base. They were crazy!

Obviously a new machine is only a few dollars more. They did, after much hollering, ranting and raving, cut the bill in half, but it is still prohibitive to do it.

I have one machine here that I rebuilt from scratch with this modification, but it is STILL NOT an 800 Plus, so it will be my only proto-type.

One needs to remember that an 800B could be older than 35 years, so I can understand why P/W wants to stop making parts for them. It's time to move up.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.