1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pw question for whiz or anyone who knows

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by K80Dude, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I have a new to me PW 800B. Everything is going along well however I am having one issue. When the wad is starting to go into the shell one out of about 8 are being crushed. I watched it very close and it seems that the arm that holds the wad has a steel piece that drop downs and grabs the shell, when the wad starts to go into the shell the steel piece goes back up and the wad is seated. When the wads are crushing the hulls is when that steel piece is not coming down and grabbing the hull. How do I fix this? The red wad guide seems to be in perfect condition.

Thank You!
    David

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Couple of things to consider:

1. The steel thing, called the Wad Ram (#39), normally has an Allenhead bolt (#40) screwed into the bottom of it. Newer machines do NOT utilize this and have a stationery Ram.

Your Ram has a coil spring on top of it up at the reservoir area. You may want to use a mirror, or somehow look for a threaded hole in the bottom of that shaft. If it's missing, you 'll need a replacement.

2. A different bolt (#52) which is screwed into the aluminum Wad Seating Assembly (#50), whose internal machined end moves up and down in the milled slot in the left veritcal shaft (#83) could be worn. This would cause the wad seating assembly NOT to rotate far enough counter-clockwise to position itself direcly under the wad ram and above the hull mentioned above in #1, causing wad insertion problems.

You can remove that Allenhead screw/bolt (#52) as well and visibly check it for a flat spot. If one exists, then replace that bolt. Careful reinserting it, as it must fit into that groove and occasinally folks find that the white nylon liner bushing (#60) had rotated some blocking the reinsertion area.

If you do not have a manual, I have a PDF scanned one free for the asking to your email. You need to email me, as I don't get to all these threads every day.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

3. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

It sounds to me like the wad cup is sticking and not going down to put the wad fingers inside the shell prior to the wad opening them up. The shell rotates under the wad cup, catches one of the open wad fingers and folds it outside the shell. The wad comes down through the wad fingers and catches the top of the case mouth and you have a mess.
    On the old 800B the return spring inside the wad cup is fairly stout and really slams the cup back up once the wad clears. After 30 or 40 years it starts to have an affect. The cup starts to seat into the wad guide arm and stick. A faily common problem with an easy cure. Remove the wad cup and on the aluminum lower part shaped like a fat T file around the top outside edge of the lower cup enough to change its shape just a bit and it will stop seating and no longer stick.
    If most of the time it works that should be the problem and you would see it at the beginning of each loading cycle and after each pause as it has time to set.
    Hope this helps
    Jim Cunningham

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The same thing was happening with my new Platinum press. I fixed it the way Jim has described. The bottom of the wad cup had a slight flare, I could see and feel it. It would be stuck at the beginning of every reloading session. I worked on the bottom of the wad cup with a file and sandpaper and it no longer sticks.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I once had the return spring that pushes the wad cup down get twisted not allowing the cup to go all the way down. Taking the thing apart was simple as was fixing the spring.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.