1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Problem/ Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I started loading my usual handicap load a few weeks ago and have noticed my PW 2000 is stuffing 1 to several misses in each box of shells. What adjustments to the machine do I need to make so it will stop doing this? It is unsettling to me and more work for the scorekeeper.

Pat Ireland

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Remove the piece that goes on top of the stock and place in vise. Find the suitable Ford wrench and have a good buddy whack it with some attitude adjustment. Jeff

3. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I used a left handed monkey wrench. You could try a little aiming fluid on it.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Pat: You may have to get a Spolar... they have no misses per box. Or worse -- you may have to buy a new gun. Might want to try a 10 gauge Infinity... mount it on an artillery swivel. Fred

5. joshif

joshif TS Member

It's not the loader. Try fixing the loose nut at the end of the stock. LOL

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It must be a conspiracy. My MEC is doing the exact same thing. Do you think I should call MEC about it? Maybe it's infected primers or now that shot is so expensive, it thinks it's too good to break targets.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

wireguy- Good question. I am trying to think about it. So far, nothing is happening.

Quack Shot- How could we distinguish between infected primers and infested shot?

Pat Ireland

8. clayshooter53

clayshooter53 TS Member

Hey guys, it is not only reloaders that are causing the problem. Just the other day I going along just fine with some factory loads and whammo an O popped up on the score sheet. THEN on the next house I had TWO of the pesky Os show up. I don't know, there has to be some kind of conspiracy going on here. I think it may be infected HULLS!

9. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Be thankful that some of those birds get away, otherwise the Goverment will put them on the endangered species list, start a breading plan and we will only be able to shoot at the male birds. I still can not tell the difference between the Male and Female clay birds, they both are brightly colored.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

itsnotyou- It is not too difficult to do this. When you open a box of birds, the females are on top. Near the bottom of the case where all the dust and debris collects, you will find the male birds. When thrown from the trap, the female birds sail nicely through the air. The male birds tend to become irregular, fall short and are pushed around by the wind.

Pat Ireland

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

We seem to forget that it is the 'pencil' that causes the "O's" on the score sheet. Change the pencil and the "O's" go away. Next month we actually are having a "Mulligan" Fun Shoot at our club. Shooters can buy, for a $1.00 ticket a Mulligan Do-Over for a missed bird. Trap now becomes the perfect game. One Mulligan per 25 targets in a 100 target shoot [or 4 mulligans], plus a mulligan for the shoot off. You can not carry over your mulligans [each is color coded per 25 event]. Great way to raise extra $$'s for the club and everyone is happy. Fred

12. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

The solution is simple; I just don’t understand why a person of your superior intellect has not figured it out yet. Just through away a few shells in every 25 you load. The trick will be in figuring out which ones.

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

CD: Under your solution Pat could throw away the greens? the reds? the grays? the golds? How about the one's with the 8 star crimps? Fred

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat Ireland

You can't really tell the difference, but you can alternate the blame. The tactic seems to work in DC, so it might actually work out in the real world. :)

15. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

No, no, no. It is obviously the umberator arm. It must have somehow come out of adjustment. If you take the recoil pad off, there should be a little hole where the screw went, inside of that is the umberator arm. Turn it three turns to the right and you should be good to go. John

16. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

What I’m wondering is when you guys have a bad shell that misses, why do you put it back in the bag? After all if it screwed up once it’s bound to screw up again! Quit reloading the bad shells!

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Make sure the didlin pin is conected to the wobblin rod!!

18. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

CD: You are absolutley right! I throw away shells that miss -- a little superstitious and I am P.O. at them. Fred

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It might have to do with polarities and balance. Nature usually tries to keep a balance. Unfortunately, with 25 shells in a box, 12 shells point in one direction and 13 point in the other. That leaves an odd shell that must be confused and angry about being odd. It gets even by causing a miss and may even pursuade a few more to join it's cause. If they were to pack an even number in the box, there would be a few that would feel left out, since they were made to be odd right from the beginning, and were forced to strike a balance. It's a conspiracy from the maker right down to the fanatical shotshell factions. We are doomed.

20. deuce

deuce Member

Pat,

The situation you have described has also been a problem for me. Having studied the matter for some years. I have finally discovered the answer!

Shotgun shells are like apples; when you pack them in a box, they are all good. But when you open the box later on, you may discover that one or more of them has gone bad. Of course, it is easy to identify a bad apple by its appearance - not so with a shell. A bad shell only reveals itself when it is fired, but (just like a bad apple) it may contaminate other shells that are packed next to it. This cross contamination will manifest itself as another miss when the contaminated shell is reloaded and fired at a future event.

I know that this all sounds very discouraging, but take heart-there is a solution:

When you take the line, you must be prepared to place each empty hull in a separate (and identified) location. This means that you will need 25 pockets, pouches, boxes, etc. each marked separately. Ex: top row, shell#1, or 3rd row shell#4. (Here's a hint-I like to place the first empty of each round under my chin, thus assisting me in keeping my head down for the next 24 shots.)

Now here's the important part! As soon as you experience a bad shell (BS for short) you must take immediate action. Open your gun and eject your BS onto the ground - never touch BS with your hands. The next two shells that you fire must also be ejected without touching because your chamber will be contaminated with BS residue. Now the reason for identifying each empty hull becomes apparent: you will need to dispose of all empty hulls that were in contact with the BS.

It should be obvious that shells need to be kept in the original box. If you dump 25 shells loose into a pocket mass contamination will take place and you could end up with a whole pocketfull of BS.

Never accept shells to try if offered by another shooter as you never know how much BS you will have to put up with.

I hope this has been helpful, it's the way I've been able to deal with all the BS I run into at gun clubs.

Regards, Jim Blevins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.