1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW problem/fixed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kcbullets, Jul 20, 2013.

1. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I have a PW 800+. My machine is mounted on an auto drive. My primer ram somehow caught a primer and bent the ram. I replaced the ram with a new one. Of course, while fixing it I had a couple spills as I tried to keep all the stations going. As I tried to cycle the machine I heard a couple pops, and noticed a couple primers laying just under the machine. So I emptied the machine, cleaned all my mess, and unhooked the auto drive as to ensure manually everything seemed ok. THE CYLINDER DOES NOT ROTATE PROPERLY. WHEN TURNING BY HAND THE DIE OPENINGS DO NOT ALIGN PROPERLY WHEN TURNING BY HAND, BUT SEATS OUT OF ALIGNMENT. IF I PROPERLY ALIGN THE CYLINDER BY HAND, WHEN TRYING TO USE THE HANDLE THE CYLINDER ROTATES SLIGHTLY BACKWARDS (COUNTER-CLOCKWISE). Should I remove the main index gear and clean and see if something broke? Any help is appreciated. dale

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

There are two set screws (180° from each other) on the die plate, loosen and adjust the die plate till the primer ram is centered and tighten. Some machines have two set screws on each side but most have only one. Easy adjustment.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Make sure your primer feed assembly is bottomed out and the lock screw is tight!!

4. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I did both of the above posts. The primer ram assembly is bottomed out and tightened. And I aligned the die plate as mentioned above. Now as I rotate the die plate by hand it seats in correct position. But when I try to operate handle manually the die plate does not rotate and when handle is in most top position the die plate actually rotates backwards about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I took off the primer ram assembly and it appears all in good working order.

5. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I found that the indexing pad assembly is frozen. Going to remove and free up..

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Make sure the index pad moves without ANY binding. Just take it apart and make sure the index pad slids freely in its housing (without the spring). Any binding however slight can cause indexing problems. You can remove high spots from the index pad ahaft with a file. Don't forget to set the gap between the pad and the index pin when you reassemble it.

Jim Skeel<br>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

7. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Thanks Jim, that was the problem. The index pad shaft did not freely move within housing. It is working fine now, BUT what is the correct gap between the pad and the index pin that you refer too. I will have to look at that.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A business card. Jeff