1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW primer tray adjustment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I don't know if your model is like mine, (mine is old) but on mine the primer tray is held onto the press with a bracket and a couple Allen head screws. If you loosen those screws and push the bracket up as far as it will go, it will push the back of the tray up and the front down. Normal vibration should cause the primers to fall. Might help to keep the tray full as well.

2. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

K80,

There is a adjustment in rear of tray bracket. Lossen allen screws and raise
    unit to full limit of travel. Next, and very important, Wax and Shine the primer tray for slick flow. Metal polish works wonders! (Check Manual)

Sharing,

Gunnerx

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Just keep an eye on them and tap the rail every once in a while till it fills up!

4. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

Jims' Eyes and Ears at the State shoot told me to silicon the tray itself and now primers slide with ease.

5. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

In addition to adjusting the tray I have found that if you take a lead pencil and rub it all over the tray and the track it helps keep the primers moving. I have tried all different kinds of lubes, waxes and the lead pencil works the best.

The P/W is a great machine but the primer feed is problematic. Good luck.

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

Old fashioned waxed paper works to polish it up as well. On a very old thread some had installed (don't get all excited now) vibrators on their trays so that they didn't have to tap. I think maybe Whiz White will be able to speak to those. I sure like my PW.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

The vibrator from Whiz works too well. I get a back up in the tray and the primers jam there.

My problem is getting the darn things to fall down the track. Once it backs up, a primer will get half onto the track and sit there.

Don Verna

8. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

I went to the Wal-Mart and bought a $5 vibrator (runs on AAs) and use it on the tray periodically to keep them flowing.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

And the Wife Happy ? LOL. Jeff

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The factory installs the chute/tray so that there is 1/8 of tray support below the bottom edge of the top crosshead. The support is adjusted (bent) so that the end of the chute aligns with the slot in the primer feed without the screw in place so there is no stress on the assembly when the end of the chute is secured in place.

The brand of primer I use makes a difference to how well the primers feed. For me, CCI and Cheddite are the worst feeders and Winchester are the best. Federals are in the middle. I've found that the best way to keep primers moving is to keep the chute and tray surface clean. I clean mine occasionally with a little Flitz and don't use any other substances on it.

Carol Lister

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I wax mine now and then and I tap on mine now and then to get the primers moving. Both work for me.

I will absolutely not go into any store and ask to see a vibrator for my loader. I would prefer tapping with my finger rather than using a vibrator for priming.

Pat Ireland

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

A good friend told me to use furniture polish and man those things slide right down without tapping. No need for the cell phone vibrator. The one area that has problems is when they are coming out of tray and into track. Seems every so often one gets lodged at a 45* angle and blocks flow. I just figured its the way they are. IDEAS?

13. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Seems were all having the same problem; problems.

I polished my tray with 1200 grit paper, but not much improvement.

Ill try the wax tip.

Be careful when you polish. The spot welds on the track to tray arent too good and mine broke loose and had to be redone.

Years ago, I used CCI 209M primers which fed much better than Federals. Win. fed OK also.

To minimize my problems I loaded Gold Medal plastic and Paper Fed. shells only.

Once I got it working I kept with the same make of shell.

Thanks for all the great tips.

Regards....Gerald

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The reason the factory sets the tray down some is so it will not get punished during shipment. The top plywood spacer sit directly above the tray and if the tray were set higher, it would get beat up in shipment.

I've never waxes a tray in my 35 years using these machines, and I've used about every kind of primer there was. I just don't have any problems and I've used 15-20 machines here at the shop.

All I ever do is raise the tray up as high as I can get it.

(Sorry about my typos - corrected them, but darn hard typing now with 9 digits)

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Whiz has it right, except I've also tried a little graphite with success. I mean a little! Used in my MECS as well with good results. Heck, with a 1 pound squeeze tube, I need to figure out something to do with it. One Pound will lube a couple of pallets of shot with a bunch left over. Glad to see I'm not the only one that had great results feeding the CCI209M and Winchester primers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.