1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW primer feed occassional problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

It seems to strike in bunches. I'll be loading shells with great rhythm then suddenly, powder falls all over the place thru a "vacant" primer hole. After I get the problem fixed and start paying more attention to the primer feed, I'll notice numerous occasions whent the primers do not advance into the notch on the feed arm, requiring me to place one in the cup manually. Also notice that some primers get absolutely "hung-up" in the feed track.

My question is this: can I lubricate the track that guides the primers from the tray to the feed assembly with graphite? Will it do any good? Is there a better way to make the primers run smoothly? (Lack of primers in the "track" is NOT my problem, I always try to tap the tray to make them advance into the track.)

Thanks,

bustclays

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Yes, you can, but use powdered graphite.

What machine and which style of primer ram are you using? Are you using the new angle cut ram? If yes, it could be bent and the tip of the hook (no "U" wire on the new model) is catching on the cut groove in the housing.

Here's the new ram style:
    [​IMG]

Also, it wouldn't hurt to remove the long coil spring and stretch it out some. I sell a replacement spring that is made of piano wire, and is distinguishable from the black P/W coil, as this is bright silver metal.

Lastly, the track where it mounts to the aluminum or brass primer housing MUST BE ABSOLUTELY centered in the groove where it rests in the aluminum or brass unit. If it is off a smidgen, you could get some hang-ups.

Finally, make darn sure there is no powder reside in the track slide, and always remember that the last 12-15 primers will not feed due to the lack of gravity on them. Also, the primer tray on top should be at its highest angle and this would mean that you have to loosen the two 1/8" Allenhead screws in the back of the top toolhead and then slide the tray up as high as you can get it.

I have made electric primer vibrators, but don't like the time involved making them. Here's a pic of it...
    [​IMG]

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have the same problem.

Ed Yanchok

4. BustClays

BustClays Member

Hi WHIZ:
    It's an 800Plus that I purchased from you a few years ago. I love the unit but I find that movement into the ram can be bawky from time to time. I will try the graphite. I use WIN 209 primers and some of them "crab" in the track and just will not slide along until I "push" them flat into the track. Also I have the tray as high as it can go and I still have to shake it frequently to get the primers to feed into the track. It doesn't let me day dream as much as I would like to. But I sure do like the ability to remove shells from each station when I do create a problem. ( I will report back to this thread after I have tried a fix.)

best to you

bustclays

5. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

Clean the primer tray and chute with some cotton and a little lacquer thinner and then apply some of Hornady's "One Shot" Case Lube to the chute and tray. Spray a little on some cotton and wipe it onto the surfaces. It's a wax. It dries in a minute or less and won't contaminate any of the components and its clean.

Andy Moreland

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Bust Clays,

I have a 4 month old 800 Plus that has exactly the same issue. It is not the primer tray or the chute that is the problem. It is the occasional balkiness of the primers to enter the feed ram which holds it from moving forward. I have used W209, Fed209A and Fio 616 primers with no discernable difference. I wish I could give you the solution, but alas. My only solution is to watch the primer ram constantly. My experience is that the ram will hang up only when you are not watching.

I may try Whiz's suggestions with the spring stretching and double check the alignment. I love the machine and am feel it was worth the money. The primer catching the ram is irritating though, because it really slows down the rhythm.

HBT

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I use an older model 800 and also a Platinum 2000. I found that Remington primers slide through easier, I don't know why. These are also primers I've had for many years, I don't know how todays product is working. Bob

8. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I purchased a new 800+ in February 2007 from PW. I have an older 800B. The new reloader suffered the same issues you describe. When I examined the lower primer track angle I discovered it was angled up. By hand force I bent the track down so that the last 4-6 inches of the track was level. This removed the problem completely. If you look in the owners manual it describes this issue by saying to make sure the track is level in the last few inches. If it's angled up gravity puts too much pressure on the primers and they jam.

Michael Stephenson

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

My primers were catching on the back of the U hook. It had a sharp point like a hang nail. I took a file and just gently filed the hang nail just enough so it didnt have a sharp point on it. That allowed the primer to slip on in the U hook. That sharp hang nail on the back of the U not the front. The sharp point was sharp enought to poke the primer and it could not just slip on in the U.

That solved my problem. BUT !!! dont get too happy with the file. Just enough to get rid of the sharpness. Do not file it TOO Far down.

What do you think Whiz?? It worked for me.

WesleyB

10. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I kept having hangups in the track of my 800B. I lubed it with everything possible. One day I marked the track where the jams occurred. With the track empty, I slid a primer into the track. While lifting up I slid the primer by that spot and I found a burr on the inside of the upper rails. I took a thin emery board and smoothed it off. I haven't had a stoppage in over 30,000 primers. I think that when the primer skirts over lapped it lifted it up enough to hit the burr. It may be worth trying.

11. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

Make sure that the chute is centered against the opening in the primer feed assembly. Loosen the screw that holds the chute to the assembly and shift the chute back and forth until the primers move through smoothly, then tighten it. Don't get too ehthusiastic about removing the sharp point at the rear of the primer notch in the ram.

Andy Moreland

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I've had all the problems discussed. The primers eventually form an arch where they enter the chutes at the bottom of the primer tray. That's when it has to be bumped to get the primers flowing again. Raising the tray only makes that worse by adding more pressure on the primer arch, I keep mine about the middle. Polishing and waxing does not stop the primers from forming an arch. A vibrator is the solution, it keeps the primers from forming an arch.

I've had hang ups at the primer ram that bend the hook. I have done what Wesley B describes and that helps. Once the primer ram picks up a primer it needs to slide by the primer coming in behind it. That is why it helps to polish any sharp edges or burrs there. It is important to keep the primer ram assembly clean. I disassemble it occasionally and clean the whole thing. Graphite does not seem to help me any. The primer system could use a complete redesign.

13. nipper

nipper TS Member

id be intrested in buying one or two of the vibrators wiz,and i mean primer tray vibrators..

bill

14. BustClays

BustClays Member

Here is what has apparently solved my original problems.

I removed all the "plastic" from the primer tray and I cleaned and polished the tray's surface with FLITZ. (Polishing is very important to remove any residue.)

While I had the two black plastic "fingers" removed, I used 800 grit paper to carefully smooth the edge which contacts the primers. I then waxed this edge. I reattached them leaving enough space for three primers to fit between them and feed toward the track.

Careful exmination showed that the primer track had NO burrs but it was dirty. I used several Q-tips, first soaked in silicon then dry, to clean the track.

So far the results are very satisfactory. The normal vibration of the loader is enough to downfeed the primers most of the time and they all run smoothly thru the track.

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS,

bustclays

15. whiz white

Just a comments about primers: I have Remington, Federal, old and new sytle Win 209 sitting to the left of my reloader. When reloading I don't even look, but just grab a 100 tray of them, so in any one load I could easily have all three types in the same hulls.

I experience ZERO problems with feeding, EXCEPT if I remove the track and am not careful to get it EXACTLY centered in the brass slot, or if I bent a ram through carelessness of my own stupidity, then I can experience feed problems.

I do remove my brass unit occasionally and pull the seating shaft to clean under it and check the shaft for trueness (roll it on a flat surface).

My dentist, a big time african safari hunter, always gives me some of his hygenist's tools to use on the reloader to keep it clean.

Whiz

16. KK

KK TS Member

I have had all of the above primer issues and continue to have them. Cleaning the machine helps but doesn't remove the problem enough to take your eye off of what the feed is doing. The same holds true of dry lubrication, filing, and all of the other fixes mentioned here. The only thing that I have not tried yet is replacing the spring with the piano wire unit. Whiz, if you are with me would you let me know how I can order a few of those springs from you. Thanks. When the machine goes on a run of bad primer feeding it becomes a real hair puller. I have found that my machine apparently had a diabolical brain installed at the factory because the only time I have trouble is when I have had trouble free operation for long enough to begin relaxing my vigilence on each individual primer placement. As soon as I relax I can plan on my machine immediately going on no feed primer binge. Works every time! KK

17. dcan67

dcan67 TS Member

I too have had all the same problems.
    Whiz is being modest he makes all of the primer feed components that will solve your problems just ask him.
    I have a 900 converted over to a 2000 and since installing the WHIZ parts have not had one problem that was not an error on the part of the operator (forgot to refill the primer tray).
    If you want it to work just ask Whiz to sell you his parts. The vibrator is just great.
    Thanks
    Don

18. GRR

GRR TS Member

I have had problems with all three models I've owned, 800B, 900 and 950 elite. I quickly fixed the problem with all of them. I removed the primer shute from the primer feed housing and using swiss files I open the slots and bevel the housing. End of primer hang-ups. It takes about 15 minutes.

G. Reynolds

P.S. I just had a powder blockage for the first time in about 250,000 rounds, it was caused by a worn O ring at the bottom of the powder bushing. I will now change the O ring every 50,000 rounds.

19. whiz white

KK: I don't carry the "U" springs any longer. You may want to call the facotry to see if they have any left.

Make sure that when the primer leaves the TRACK and enters the ALUMINUM/BRASS base, it is a smooth transition. Occasionally, a tilted track will cause a slight edge to become apparent ... the track should be horizontal at the point where it meets the AL/BR base.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.