1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Primer catcher problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My PW has what I think is a bent primer catcher as the primer catches on the side of the primer catcher, to me it looks bent to the front of the loader.

How hard is this to straighten?

Have others had this problem?

Maybe I should have kept my MEC w. adj charge bar.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Many times the angled chute gets pinched and deformed when a dangling spent primer fails to fall and the new primer fights with it to gain entry to the primer pocket. I found this to be a common occurrence with the old style AA hulls where a thread of red plastic would hold onto the spent primer as I knocked it out of the hull. It would dangle there, and me not paying attention, the to-be-inserted new primer would have a problem getting by the dangling mess.

You can remove the Spent Primer Chute assembly with an 1/8" Allen wrench... it kinds needs to be at a gentle angle to get it in the BHCS. Remove it and bent it to free its motion.

Or, you can buy a new complete assembly for under $20.

moderator_2008_030345.jpg

Whiz

3. citadel

citadel Active Member

This primer chute is a real weak point on an otherwise excellent loader. It is simply not made with substantial enough metal to resist the constant impacts it is subject to when swinging into place and the screw that hold it is a bitch to get to. Who has a set of small ball headed Allen wrenches around when you need one. Maybe one of our bright mechanical types here on TS can figure out something better. I would be the first customer for a better option rather than replace the old one with another just like it even if it is only $20 as Whiz says. It's not the money it is the convenience and value of uninterrupted operation that is the point.
    All the best,
    Doug

4. Dr.Longshot

I am going to try and remove the primer catches assy now, will let you know how I progressed.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. Dr.Longshot

I could not get it off, but did straighten it up as best as possible, oiled the shaft and spring, and lowered the deprime rod about 1/8th inch to make sure the primer gets pushed all the way out.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

i have trouble with the primer seating on the sts shells. Some seat nice and flush and some have a edge you can feel along the head. I tried adjusting it every way I could and still cant stop this from happening any idea's on what is causing this. I have a hydraulic system, it pushes it all the way down and it clunks at the bottom.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

L&D ... Best way to cure your problem is to use Remington primers ... they fit better!

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

As I remember when I had P/W's, I just took the catcher off and let the primers fall into the cup. It was a chronic problem. Fred

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

lost & Dead, The Remington primers are shaped differently than all the rest. And so is the primer pocket of Rem. hulls. Look in he primer pocket and you will see that there is a ridge at the top end that all non-Rem primers has to push past to seat flush. Sometimes that plastic will not yield and the primer will not seat flush. You can't adjust for it as you have noted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.